Author Topic: 40 Second clocks  (Read 10842 times)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: 40 Second clocks
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2021, 12:57:09 PM »
I didn't suggest that play clocks were nuclear bombs, rather that "overkill", and/or over presumption, can be problematic, YOU made that direct equation.
You do realize how Metaphors work in the English language, don't you? You used the metaphor to suggest a nuclear bomb would be overkill in the quest to get rid of rats. I'm pretty sure you were using that analogy as a comparison to the idea that the play clock is overkill in the quest to add consistency to the game. In fact, you alluded to this yourself in your response. I simply used your use of this metaphor in my rebuttal. No, you didn't suggest that play clocks are nuclear bombs, but you did suggest that they are overkill. My goodness, Are you that fond of circular reasoning?

Play clocks are not "the Devil", but they just as likely are not the ULTIMATE, EXCLUSIVE, ONLY PRACTICAL answer to the question of improved "play time" management. 
nobody has ever suggested such. This is a strawman argument you have concocted to keep this insane discussion going.

For 50+ years there have been issues with consistently providing competent "GAME Clock" operators.  Many areas have chosen to deal with those issues by providing assigned certified officials as Timers, other areas by increased training and/or certification of non-official Timers.
Ok. not sure how this fits into this discussion, but whatever.

As I understand, both NCAA and NFL games utilize separate (trained and/or certified) Game and Play clock operators.  Some (NFHS) schools prefer using a single operator to mange BOTH functions (personal opinion: "An accident waiting to happen"). 
Ok. See above.

Serious consideration weighing; ACTUALLY how big a problem (@ NFHS level), how significant the improvement provided,  the cost of implementation & ongoing necessary operation including competent manpower, the value of the benefit provided, the comparable cost of other available remedies & possible solutions are viable alternatives worth considering BEFORE adapting the MOST expensive, PERMANENT solution.
Once again, the only one who seems to be concerned about this enormous cost and seemingly irreversible (it's really not) decision to use play clocks and the 40 seems to be you. "If you have a problem with everybody, everybody is not the problem."

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2021, 03:22:35 PM »

Actually, I'm probably the ONLY one dumb enough to try and tactfully suggest that YOUR personal conclusion/opinion does NOT somehow become binding on everyone else.  You don't, however, get to rework MY words into what YOU have decided they should mean.  Apologies for any confusion I may cause, but if you're not clear about my meaning, I'd be happy to clarify if asked to. 

Retrofitting thousands of NFHS venues with play clocks may somehow prove to be the ultimate solution, to what currently seems like an otherwise, relatively minor, somewhat inconsistent problem, but I seriously doubt it, and all the barking that it is some "Holy Grail" isn't going to alter reality. Timing "play duration" currently is, and has long been effectively managed (with intermittent problems) by game field officials.  Perhaps a review of current mechanics to strengthen the existing procedures and responsibilities might be appropriate, and remain substantially more cost effective, to produce desired improvement.

I do agree that this discussion has far exceeded it's value, and hope ALL potential solutions will, at least be considered, before leaping off a "Retrofit all Venues" cliff.

Since you asked, specifically, about my mention of the issue of dual vs separate "Clock Operators", I was simply adding the reality that this is an actual issue, currently in dispute, that involves the ongoing cost and management of dual timing displays, that could be eliminated by increased focus on existing on-field mechanics.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 03:30:35 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2021, 03:30:07 PM »
Actually, I'm probably the ONLY one dumb enough to try and tactfully suggest that YOUR personal conclusion/opinion does NOT somehow become binding on everyone else.  You don't get to rework my words into what you have decided you mean. .

Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2021, 06:52:03 AM »
Would someone please use their Amazon account to order AL a new supply of Keyboard Kaopectate?  I’ll gladly reimburse them.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2021, 10:58:54 AM »
Would someone please use their Amazon account to order AL a new supply of Keyboard Kaopectate?  I’ll gladly reimburse them.

Sorry Bama, but a far better cure for stubborn, and somewhat arrogant insistence, that one way is the ONLY way, is rational explanation of proven alternatives. Of course it's ALWAYS up to the recipient whether to consider the additional information, or automatically reject it as blasphemy.  For some it takes more detail than others and more evidence is necessary.

You can lead a horse to water, but it's the horse's decision whether to drink, or not.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2021, 09:11:43 AM »
Sorry Bama, but a far better cure for stubborn, and somewhat arrogant insistence, that one way is the ONLY way, is rational explanation of proven alternatives. Of course it's ALWAYS up to the recipient whether to consider the additional information, or automatically reject it as blasphemy.  For some it takes more detail than others and more evidence is necessary.

You can lead a horse to water, but it's the horse's decision whether to drink, or not.

Had a seminary professor who said there was a solution to that, salt his oats.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2021, 10:55:14 AM »
Looks like this topic may have lived it’s life span
" I don't make the rules coach!"