Author Topic: "WHAT A GREAT RULE...can we do that, too ?"  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: "WHAT A GREAT RULE...can we do that, too ?"
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2021, 08:33:48 AM »
Yes. We have that conversation every time there is either a PAT or a Field goal. If it's field goal, every one of my guys are on the radio "Remember, ball is live!"   FWIW, I would much rather have R run a blocked extra point back and then fix it later than to blow it dead if R is running a blocked field goal back, because that can't be fixed...
IMHO, the same holds true for if a kick was fumbled or muffed by R  ???. Let the play go, talk  ^talk ^talk and fix if decided it was a muff. An IW you can't fix and wiping out a TD, if a fumble, does not have a happy ending  :puke: pi1eOn :puke:.

A good rule of  :thumbup on fumble or muff is : If it had been a forward pass, would you have ruled it incomplete  ^no , if so, a muff.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2021, 08:54:51 AM »
As I stated earlier, this works a lot better with 7-8 officials at the college level.  Plus in NFHS we're going to have 2 of our 5 back on the end line so that's only 3 truly covering back upfield on the breakaway.

The number of people covering upfield from 4 man all the way to 7 man is the same.  8 man has a CJ, and the 2 point return was allowed many many years prior to the invention of the CJ.  So, I don't think the number of officials should be a factor in the decision to change this.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2021, 10:53:38 AM »
NCAA= R, H, L, U, S = 5 + a C would be 6.
NFHS= R, H,  sNiCkErS = 3

I'm no math whiz but......

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2021, 12:10:55 PM »
:) Just give 'er time , 'Bama, until the Crimson Tide win a game on a defensive conversion  :). Your high school coaches will want to do that, too  yEs:,,,,,,,WHOOPS, that's right, the Tide usually win by 50r more  ;D

If UMaine had lost by such a play, I'm sure my phone would have remained silent 8].

My Alma Mater had a defining win 15 years ago on an OT pick-6. I'm sure there was a lot of local high school players wanting to pull that one off shortly thereafter as well -- but, same basic rule applies as B cannot score in OT either.

I'd be willing to bet that the OT rules *could* be changed to allow that before changing the try, but I'm still not going to bet that they will.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2021, 03:08:52 PM »
My Alma Mater had a defining win 15 years ago on an OT pick-6. I'm sure there was a lot of local high school players wanting to pull that one off shortly thereafter as well -- but, same basic rule applies as B cannot score in OT either.

I'd be willing to bet that the OT rules *could* be changed to allow that before changing the try, but I'm still not going to bet that they will.

MA has chosen to use the NFHS option of implementing their own OT rules and allows the ball to stay live on all scrimmage plays with COP's except tries.  Team B can score a "pick 6" to win.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2021, 03:31:44 PM »

I have never liked the defense cannot score in OT rule.  It changes a fundamental part of the game, and has a disparate impact on teams that are better on defense.

JMO