Author Topic: Officiating blocking below the waist  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
Officiating blocking below the waist
« on: June 28, 2012, 07:36:23 AM »
As I've been reading through the blocking below the waist changes, I get the sinking feeling that it is going to be very difficult to officiate the new blocking below the waist rules this year with a five man crew (not to mention a 3 man crew!).

Have there been any discussions somewhere in TASO chapters, from the TASO board, clinicians, etc about the most effective ways to ensure we're not missing some of these blocks when it is questionable as to whether a player is restricted or not? I know it's a broad question but I'm feeling a little lost on this one.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: Officiating blocking below the waist
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:35:49 AM »
All the discussions I have been part of eventually culminated with..."If we see it, we will get it."   We did not make any mechanics changes or suggestions as we know the limitations we are under with 5 (or fewer) sets of eyes available.  There are some who will say err on the side of safety and flag it if you see the block but are not sure if blocker was restricted or not from blocking in the direction of the block at the spot where the block takes place.  Maybe with a crew conference after the play is over, someone on the crew can chime in with info that will let you know if the player was truly restricted or not, i.e. where was he at the snap and what was he doing.  If appropriate, wave it off.  If not, or nobody knows, enforce it.  That works for me assuming when you see the block you perceive it to be dangerous and not just because you see it is a low block. 

In some cases, the B might be able to help keep track of things assuming he is not overwhelmed with multiple keys and pass coverage.  But when we are confronted with spread offenses who are using multiple types of motion with receivers running routes all over the field, it is going to be very hard to watch everything that needs to be watched. 

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:06:39 AM »
I have 2 words for our brothers in Texas (and Massachusetts) running 5 man crews: "Good Luck!"
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TxKeith

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »
My crew has had several discussions about this since the information on the changes has come out.  We have had several questions from coaches during the spring games.  As a wing official I can see the potential of flags being thrown and then after conversing with B or my counterpart across the field quite a few flags being waved off as the offending player was meeting the proper mechanics of BBW.  Basically it looks to be a nightmare for anything under 7 man crew.