Author Topic: East Texas Football Chapter Umpire passes away  (Read 3417 times)

Offline backjudge85

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
East Texas Football Chapter Umpire passes away
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:10:47 PM »
The East Texas Chapter lost a "DAMN GOOD" umpire this afternoon in Gary Heatherington.  He was my first umpire when I came into the Gulf South Conference.  I worked with him for 4 years before moving to another crew.  Even more importantly, he was a BETTER MAN and a strong Christian.  His faith was his word and he was as good as it gets. There is NOTHING this man wouldn't do for you or his fellow man....give you the shirt off his back, or be there to pick you up when you are feeling down....I feel like a part of me has died this afternoon.... He always had a smile on his face and there wasn't a time that went by when I talked to him and since my parents moved to Longview, that he didn't offer to go by there house and see if they needed anything.  He was a towering man, a few inches taller than me, yet had the heart of teddy bear.....Never, ever had a bad word to say about anyone.....he was definitely in a class above most.........59 years old and standing up in heaven now, with a smile on his face and I can feel him telling me everything is okay....but it's not......Please keep his wife, Connie, and his family in your prayers......There aren't many like him around.....

Online ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
Re: East Texas Football Chapter Umpire passes away
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:37:32 PM »
He was a great man and a great friend. He will be missed by all. Please keep his family in your prayers.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 07:46:23 AM »
Thoughts and prayers are with Gary and his family.  pray:;
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:06:45 AM by Rulesman »
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 07:52:54 AM »
My condolences from Houston. God bless.

JFarmer43

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 09:13:25 PM »
With two eyes, two ears, and one mouth, Gary used them to watch and listen.  Oh, but when he spoke, EF Hutton listened!