Author Topic: What if...  (Read 724 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
What if...
« on: December 28, 2023, 10:14:02 AM »
Everybody loves "What if..." questions (don't you?). OK, try these. (Easy, but interesting.)

Scenario 1:
2/10, B-15, 4:00 (2).

Inbounds end A88 has not been contacted by any opponent when he steps firmly with his right foot in the end zone, very near the (properly located) back left corner pylon, and stretches up to reach for a legal forward pass. A88 rotates clockwise on his right foot as he is stretching upward. As he rotates, with his right foot still in contact with the ground, his left foot, above the ground, contacts the pylon very briefly. A88 is no longer contacting the pylon when he grasps and firmly holds/controls the ball, his right foot never having left the ground. His left foot then lands on the ground, and A88, under full control of his body, takes several steps (in any direction).

Ruling:

Scenario 2:
2/10, B-15, 4:00 (2).

Inbounds end A88 is being contacted by an opponent when he steps firmly with his right foot in the end zone, very near the (properly located) back left corner pylon, and stretches up to reach for a legal forward pass. A88 rotates clockwise on his right foot as he is stretching upward. As he rotates, with his right foot still in contact with the ground, his left foot, above the ground, contacts the pylon very briefly. A88 is no longer contacting the pylon when he grasps and firmly holds/controls the ball, his right foot never having left the ground. His left foot then lands on the ground, and A88, under full control of his body, takes several steps (in any direction).

Ruling:

Online Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: What if...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 10:30:04 AM »
Scenario 1: A88 went voluntarily out of bounds and returned before touching the ball. Illegal touching, loss of down at the previous spot. 3/10@B-15, snap, 25.

Scenario 2: I'll ignore the action by the team B player as it is immaterial to the interesting part. Contact by the team B player allows A88 to return, which he does before touching the ball. Touchdown. Try, G@3 (or 1.5 in some cases), 25.

Really interesting plays.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 11:24:09 AM »
Scenario 1: A88 went voluntarily out of bounds and returned before touching the ball. Illegal touching, loss of down at the previous spot. 3/10@B-15, snap, 25.

Scenario 2: I'll ignore the action by the team B player as it is immaterial to the interesting part. Contact by the team B player allows A88 to return, which he does before touching the ball. Touchdown. Try, G@3 (or 1.5 in some cases), 25.

Really interesting plays.

Kalle, in scenario 2, you say you'll ignore the action by the Team B player, but then you fully acknowledge the action of the Team B player by the fact that such contact makes A88's having been out of bounds a result of contact from an opponent, and not voluntary.  ;D
I guess you meant that you would ignore any potential defensive holding or pass interference that the contact may have been, and that is certainly a legitimate consideration. I should have stated that the contact was before the pass was released, and was otherwise legal contact.
But, you certainly picked up on the essential issue, and that was the touching of the pylon by A88's foot, and did that make him an ineligible player? As you noted, in 1, yes - ineligible, since he was OB voluntarily.  In 2, eligible, since he was OB by contact from an opponent.
Now, let's talk about the play clock. In 1, yes, 25, since this would be following completion of a penalty.  But, in 2, this is a try, and, unless I have missed something, the try is a 40-second play clock, that starts when the ball is dead on the touchdown (and there is nothing else to make it a 25). Now, I know that NCAA folks hold up the snap until the RO 'clears' the touchdown, but it is still a 40-second clock that starts on the dead-ball. If it gets under 25 before the RO can clear the TD, then the R will pump it up to 25.
However, that raises an interesting mechanics issue. In a perfect world, the covering official (S or F, in a crew of 7 or 8, B - and maybe H/L - in a crew of 5) would have dropped his hat to acknowledge that A88 had gone OB. In Scenario 1, the covering official would then also drop his foul marker when A88 touched the ball (before Team B, which is something else I should have stated in the setup), for the ITP foul.
But, in Scenario 2, there is no foul or other reason to interrupt the game. When we first got the 40-second play clock - before O2O - we were instructed to let the R know if a receiver was forced OB, and then caught the ball, so the R could make a quick announcement about that, even while the 40-second play clock was running. But, with teams like Oklahoma, back then, that wanted to snap the ball as quickly as we could get it spotted, we really didn't have time to do that, and not interrupt the play clock, or the legal flow of the game. (I barely had time to retrieve my hat!) So, we just kinda didn't do that. With O2O, that can now be done very expediently, and should be.

Online Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 12:49:20 PM »
Now, let's talk about the play clock. In 1, yes, 25, since this would be following completion of a penalty.  But, in 2, this is a try, and, unless I have missed something, the try is a 40-second play clock, that starts when the ball is dead on the touchdown (and there is nothing else to make it a 25).

Yup, I confused myself with the various options and ended up having the wrong PC for the no-team-B-foul case.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 01:43:00 PM »
Yup, I confused myself with the various options and ended up having the wrong PC for the no-team-B-foul case.

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year. Hope all is well in Finland.

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 02:11:31 PM »
A WHY and a WHAT IF:

The pylon is past the goal line and outside the boundary.   Since his foot was airborne and never touched the ground, why is he out of bounds?   What if his foot missed the pylon by 1/8" above it?

Watching the NFL this weekend, I noticed a pylon set at the line to gain spot.  I figured out pretty quickly what it was.  A couple of minutes later, there was a replay of a disputed catch and the announcers said one of  replays was from the line to gain pylon.  I am sure that we agree that this will trickle down to college broadcasts, if it hasn't already.  I will be looking for them in the playoff games.

So my question is;  If a player is running down the sideline and he hits this pylon but never touches the ground out of bounds, is he still down for being out of bounds.  Or if an inbound WR reaches over the pylon and catches a pass and hits the pylon while bringing the ball back to his body, is this an incomplete pass?

Online Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 02:52:08 PM »
A WHY and a WHAT IF:

The pylon is past the goal line and outside the boundary.   Since his foot was airborne and never touched the ground, why is he out of bounds?   What if his foot missed the pylon by 1/8" above it?

So my question is;  If a player is running down the sideline and he hits this pylon but never touches the ground out of bounds, is he still down for being out of bounds.  Or if an inbound WR reaches over the pylon and catches a pass and hits the pylon while bringing the ball back to his body, is this an incomplete pass?

Easy answer: because the rules very clearly say so :) See eg. A.R. 4-2-1-II. If he misses the pylon he is not OOB. This is why we have the restricted area where nothing (apart from the pylons) should be (here in Finland we regularly have lower-level games with goal posts attached to soccer goal frames with the padding being just at the end line and yes, if a receiver bumps his hand on the padding, I'd call him OOB).

As to your questions, a runner who touches the pylon is clearly out of bounds at that moment. A receiver touching the pylon after touching the ball becomes a judgement call - did the receiver complete the catch before being OOB (a bit like a receiver catching the ball during the last step when going OOB - was the inbounds foot still on the ground when the catch was completed).

We've had a nice and not-too-cold winter so far here in Finland, but next week the temperatures drop to around 0F which starts to be a bit too cold for me.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2023, 03:03:15 PM »
Covid pretty much summed up my question/comments...although I'll add, when you think about it, it's a very strange rule that an action, such as running/catching, can be 100% inbounds for 100 straight yards, and when that same action occurs in the EZ, ('same' as in relative distance to the sideline, for example,) but he taps a pylon 6" above the ground with his foot - that isn't present in the FOP - then he's considered OOB.

Not disputing the rule just don't understand the rationale for it in this particular context. There's no advantage gained by the receiver, if anything it's detrimental to him, and the defense benefits from 'not being OOB, but OOB nonetheless' by him touching something placed inbounds, that the rules say is OOB, and if it wasn't there, he wouldn't otherwise be considered OOB.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2023, 03:35:41 PM »
A WHY and a WHAT IF:

Watching the NFL this weekend, I noticed a pylon set at the line to gain spot.  I figured out pretty quickly what it was.  A couple of minutes later, there was a replay of a disputed catch and the announcers said one of  replays was from the line to gain pylon.  I am sure that we agree that this will trickle down to college broadcasts, if it hasn't already.  I will be looking for them in the playoff games.

To expound on Kalle's response, the pylons are things that are on or outside a boundary lines, and 4-2-1-a tells us that a player or live ball that touches anything on or outside a boundary line is out of bounds. I think your question may be more deeply rooted, as in, why do we have pylons at all? Even, as old as I am, I'm not sure I can answer that. When I started, there were flags on springs, instead of pylons, but the rule was the same, i.e., the flag was OB, and anything that touched it was OB. Why not consider them 'phantoms,' and contact with them is simply ignored? I honestly can't answer that. Even that was before my time, and I've never questioned it. I have a feeling that it is because most early football fields were more like pastures than well-groomed and manicured fields, and those landmarks were much harder to see, for players and officials (all one, two, or three of them!).
As I said in another post, the pylons at the hash marks were added during my time, and they were definitely added because of the grass fields, with painted lines that fade and deteriorate so badly as the season progresses. We simply could not see the hash marks, to know where to spot the ball. And, just for the reason you identified (i.e., a player running along near the end line could touch the pylon without having a body part on the ground OB), the hash mark pylons were set back 3' from the end line, because they served no function other than to mark the locations of the hash marks. In this day and time, that is not much of a problem, any more, even on college fields with real grass surface. Those pylons could probably be eliminated, and no one would know the difference (even at DIII). But, they are required by rule, for NCAA games.
With regard to the line-to-gain pylon-cam, that only exists by, and for, TV. There is no requirement for this, by rule, but there is no prohibition, either. But, it is also 6' off the sideline, so any player or ball contacting it is probably already otherwise OB. No player will just bump into it while running inbounds near the sideline.