Author Topic: Joint possession question  (Read 8481 times)

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
Joint possession question
« on: December 27, 2014, 11:21:32 AM »
I saw this in the Broncos and Bengals game on Monday night.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000448391/Wk-16-Can-t-Miss-Play-Nelson-muscles-up-for-the-pick

Raised a few questions for me that I thought I'd share for some opinions here.

If this was an NCAA game, what do you think you would have ruled?
Would it/should it matter if the players hadn't of gone to the ground or had remained on the feet (thinking here of process of the catch and surviving the ground).  Was that even in play once they'd taken the 6/7 steps together fighting for it?

Replay said confirmed not stands so they decided it was clear interception.

Offline FLbackjudge

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
Re: Joint possession question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »
I don't see this as a question of joint possession.  It looks to me as if the Bronco receiver had the ball in his grasp and it was wrestled away from him by the Bengal defensive back.  The DB has possession in the field of play before he goes out of bounds so it's an interception (if you don't believe the receiver ever possessed it) or a fumble with recovery by the defense (if the receiver possessed it and lost it to the DB).  Either way, it's Bengal's ball.  I would rule the same in NCAA.

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • We are always learning
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 02:06:28 PM »
I don't see this as a question of joint possession.  It looks to me as if the Bronco receiver had the ball in his grasp and it was wrestled away from him by the Bengal defensive back.

If that was the case (which I also believe) then why wouldn't it be ruled dead at the 27 with the receiver's forward progress stopped?

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 05:15:37 PM »
From the camera angle right there on the sideline, it looks like the Cincy player did establish possession of the ball with both feet in bounds. First down Cincinnati.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 08:09:25 AM »
I don't see this as a question of joint possession.  It looks to me as if the Bronco receiver had the ball in his grasp and it was wrestled away from him by the Bengal defensive back. .....

Actually, the slow motion replay about halfway into the clip shows that the Bengal DB had possession from the very beginning of the catch.  Denver player is fighting to get his hands on the ball but never really succeeds until players are OB when it doesn't really matter.  I don't see either joint possession or forward progress being part of this play - IMO it's a simple interception by the defender.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • We are always learning
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 08:25:51 AM »
I Believe Thomas had firm possession of the ball, so much so that he spins Nelson around off his feet.  Without 'control' there is no way that Nelson would remain attached and it's his centrifugal force that gives the ball to Nelson as a result of the spin.

To illustrate the point, this Picture in the link is half way through the spin

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c65452m8fdwc749/jp.jpg?dl=0

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 08:51:13 AM »
One single picture is not going to illustrate anything you can hang your hat on.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • We are always learning
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »
One single picture is not going to illustrate anything you can hang your hat on.

I wasn't intending it to prove the case more to illustrate the point I was trying to make about the control already having been established.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
One single picture still won't do that - one way or the other.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
Interception for me.  Never looked like the offensive guy had a good grip on the ball, so I'm giving this to the defense

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 02:52:16 PM »
at one moment you can see that the offensive player only had one hand on the ball.  Interception in my book.
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 08:41:49 AM »
In NFHS, if I had to show my guys a simultaneous catch, I would show them this.

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • We are always learning
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 09:53:43 AM »
at one moment you can see that the offensive player only had one hand on the ball.  Interception in my book.

Are we now saying that you can only have possession/control if you have two hands on the ball?

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 12:31:18 PM »
IMHO, in frame by frame, one may be able to detect in what order the four hands grab the ball. IMHO, it certainly resembles the simultaneous catch I've seen in my coloring book.

In my lifetime as a z^( since 1969), I've seen a simultaneous catch as often as I've seen Haley's Comet (once) while on Planet Earth as a human. :)