Author Topic: Just recieved this....Free Registration  (Read 59485 times)

texref

Just recieved this....Free Registration
« on: September 27, 2010, 02:21:31 PM »
Wondering if this is the "joint" letter we were promised?

[attachment deleted by admin]

txmustang68

Re: Just recieved this....Free Registration
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 02:31:59 PM »
I will not register until I hear it straight from my chapter.  Maybe not even then.  Freakin' UIL - power hungry little dictators.  Kinda reminds me of another one, some few hundred miles Northeast....

ornery1

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 02:41:21 PM »
Did you notice how the Texas Coaches Association was invited by TASO and DID NOT SHOW UP?     The writing is on the walls!!  You just need to open your eyes and read it.  The UIL Officials Division is here to stay. Might as well sign up!!!!!!

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 02:45:23 PM »
TASO...file the second lawsuit!!!

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 02:53:57 PM »
It was NOT a joint memo.  Generated solely by UIL and does not reflect TASO's take on the meeting ior the current state of affairs.

Offline williebe

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 03:04:43 PM »
7000 already registered. I'm calling B.S on that one.

texref

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 03:07:53 PM »
TASO...file the second lawsuit!!!

It was refiled. See below:

September 8, 2010
In last week’s update I advised you that in return for the UIL’s apparent willingness to continue our discussions, TASO would hold off in refiling our law suit to prevent their hostile takeover attempt of Texas High School Officiating. All along we knew that this could be a stalling tactic and would be prepared to respond at any time.
Late last week it became apparent that the UIL has no intention to attempt to reach any form of negotiated agreement. As you may know they opened up the Registration Process at their web site early on Monday morning and sent e-mails to all of the officials that they have managed to secure (by whatever means possible) e-mail addresses.
I will say, that they were kind enough to give me advanced notice … I received an e-mail at 12:42 AM on Monday Morning. I imagine they were surprised to find a reply from me less than an hour later.
Yesterday TASO refiled the law suit as outlined by the Third Court of Appeals in their decision on August 27th. The next step will be to schedule a hearing to seek a Temporary Injunction to stop the UIL registration process. This hearing will be scheduled ASAP.
On Tuesday we requested a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) to halt the UIL Registration process pending the hearing for an Injunction. In order for a TRO to be granted a party must show that irreparable harm will result in the absence of the TRO. Based on the fact that the registration deadline is not until November 1, and TASO officials may work UIL games until that point, it really came as no surprise that the TRO request was denied.
Be assured that we will aggressively seek to secure the Temporary Injunction to halt the hostile takeover attempt by the same governing body that is controlled by the public school districts. If this is allowed to happen, the independence of the high school sports officials in Texas will be lost.
It is also important to remember this. Our first suit was dismissed on a technicality, not the merits of the case. The Appeals Court stated in their decision “We express no opinion on the merits of TASO’s ultra vires claims, including whether, in the event that TASO brought these claims against a government officer acting in an official capacity, it could “allege, and ultimately prove, that the officer acted without legal authority or failed to perform a purely ministerial act.”

Also not to be forgotten is that when the four decisions have been issued by both the trial and appellate court based on material facts of the case, TASO has won all four.

Many of you have been told that you must quickly register with the UIL and that it will be in the best interest of your Chapter to do so. This is just not true. Then deadline is currently November 1st, it makes no difference if you register now or October 31st. If it does, then you should question the motives. It is more likely that those who are urging you to register immediately are doing so for their own self gain.
I urge you to take your time and consider all the facts. Ask yourself why the UIL is so dead set in controlling high school officiating. They say they are not going to charge any money to register … this year, but make no promises about next year, or the next. Why is that? I think I know, but I’ll let you come to your own conclusion.
 I have asked dozens of UIL supporters why they are so pro UIL. Typically the answer I get is simple, it’s that they make play off assignments. I hear a few others, but not a single answer has ever addressed the well being of the body of high school officials … and more importantly, not to the betterment of the student athlete.
In the past week, I have received more than 100 e-mails and phone calls of support for our members. I am encouraged and strengthen by your support. I am more convinced than ever that the over whelming majority of our members want TASO to remain an independent organization OF officials, BY officials and FOR officials.
More later.
Mike
Michael Fitch
Executive Director
Texas Association of Sports Officials

Cooter

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 03:23:44 PM »
7000 already registered. I'm calling B.S on that one.

Once registered, you are allowed to look at a "list" of all officials who have registered UIL in Texas.  I didn't count the names, but the list is very long.  I would imagine it contains many from sports other than football.

The letter received today makes one thing very clear - regardless of which organization you affiliate with, all organizations present, and there seemed to be very reputable ones present, support UIL's effort to register officials - for free - and not having to leave TASO.  They addressed the rumor of future charges (not UIL's call - Leg Council only). 

I've registered and looked at the list - surprisingly (or not) many TASO folks in my chapter - the ones talking bad about UIL the most - were already registered - very interesting.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 03:39:37 PM »
Wondering if this is the "joint" letter we were promised?

What is the over/under on how many times he said "free" in that little spiel?

All in all it sound like a load of crap to me, all of it self serving UIL BS!

" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TXMike

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 03:44:39 PM »
Sometimes what is NOT said in a public announcement is more telling than what IS said? Instead of saying 7000 officials why not tell us how many there are for ea sport?  Maybe because there are 5000 basketball folks who sold out already last year. Add in the softball, baseball and soccer folks who may have went plus alll the folks in El Paso and what do you see?

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 03:59:25 PM »
Cooter, where can you find this list?

texref

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 04:01:12 PM »

"Once registered, you are allowed to look at a "list" of all officials who have registered UIL in Texas."

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 04:04:28 PM »
 I received an email from our district director and it does not appear that the UIL statement was agreed with TASO and they had no input in that statement.

Cooter

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 04:04:38 PM »

On the UIL site - you log on - top right is a tab with Sports Officials - once there, you can view a tab that says "lists."  Under the Lists tab, it pulls up all officials alphabetically that have registered.  

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 04:05:25 PM »
Why don't one of you register on here and then provide the list. ;D

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »
Why don't one of you register on here and then provide the list. ;D
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, not me. I might get cooties from their site or something........

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 04:17:06 PM »
I created a fictitious name to register under and can see the list. 

So, there are around 5000 football officials with TASO.  On the list for football so far, 364.  That means 7% of all of the football officials have signed up so far.  That does not sound like a tidal wave of registration.

I can post the entire list of names if you guys want it.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 04:18:05 PM »
or send it to us in a private message

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 04:20:12 PM »
Here is the list.  Not trying to embarrass or out anyone.  This is public info, so there you go.  

Edit:  I don't know the details, but this could be a private list based on the other posts in the thread.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:56:32 AM by Grant - AR »

Cooter

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »
No Sir - it's not a public document.  And you said you had to falsify a government document to get the list.  Thin Ice.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
Cooter, we just had a judge tell us that the UIL is a public entity.  So, how could this NOT be open records?

Cooter

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 04:50:14 PM »
If anyone could get the list - it would be public - as it stands now, only those registered are allowed to see it.  You registered fictitiously, (from a state website) and published the list.  Not saying the list could not have been obtained under Freedom of Information Act - but that is a legal route sanctioned by law -but not in the way you went about it.  In my legal opinion, you have set yourself up for problems should UIL chose to make an example.  I personally would not have gone there and do not see how "outing" people serves and productive purpose. 

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 04:56:57 PM »
Cooter, I'm not going to prolong this discussion any longer.  The list is there.  It was easily obtained.  If anyone could be "damaged" by being "outed" then they should have thought about signing up before they signed up.  The UIL was very clear that the list would be highly visible.  They were right, for once.

The Ref Thats Lef

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 06:27:11 PM »
TexDoc

Whilst I do not agree with everything Cooter says I have to say I am not sure publishing a list that was obtained in a dubious way helps anyone.

An even bigger problem is that, as we know you created a false name to register, we cannot even be certain that those on the list are real people or are the real people who we may know to have these names.

I am not a supporter of the UIL and although I have a very small vested interest (maybe one varsity game a year if I am lucky) I think that their actions appear petty and duplicitous. I think their current working is likely to make even more people less likely to join willingly. Either they are responsible for dealing with failings of UIL schools or they are not. They should not as a state body decide to ignore certain events because it serves a political agenda they hold.

However, I think that by publishing a virtually worthless list obtained as you did simply gives them some ammunition to throw back if they choose to.

Of course it is your choice but I think the names should be removed from this forum as they serve no useful purpose to the discussion unless the UIL tries to state it has registered 7,000 football officials and there is an argument about the truth of that fact. 

Offline TXMike

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 06:42:32 PM »
What is the big deal?  Is anyone on this list being accused of doing anything wrong?  You can go to most chapter websites in the state and get a list of the guys "registered" with that Chapter.  This just shows who is registered with the "UIL Chapter".   If you think there is something wrong with the names being made public then perhaps what you really think is wrong is that they registered with UIL.  I see the names of some folks who I know I have games with before the end of this season.  Does not mean I am not going to work  the game or give any less effort just because they are in it.  

As I said earlier, the lack of a statement by UIL as to how many officials they had in each sport is a telling statement.  All this list does is help keep UIL honest in their continuing campaign to persuade football people to register before UIL's world possibly implodes on them on Nov 1.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 06:44:05 PM by TXMike »