Author Topic: Arizona to have Fall Sports  (Read 3497 times)

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
Arizona to have Fall Sports
« on: August 06, 2020, 02:12:44 PM »
The AIA announced that we will have fall sports with football games starting the last week of Sept, first week of Oct.

Obviously subject to change.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Arizona to have Fall Sports
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 11:40:36 AM »
What is not subject to change?

OK. OK. Our love for our families. But, what else?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 01:04:47 PM »
The AIA announced that we will have fall sports with football games starting the last week of Sept, first week of Oct.

Obviously subject to change.

Good luck and best wishes that all goes well WITHOUT any reason to change.

Offline riffraft

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 06:08:21 PM »
Good luck and best wishes that all goes well WITHOUT any reason to change.

I hope you are right. As somebody who doesn't believe based on research of studies that this is not particularly danagerous unless you are over 65 and or have underlying conditions i do not understand the overhyped fear

Offline riffraft

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 04:40:52 PM »
AIA has reaffirmed the schedule and practices start next week. Games start last week of Sept, first week of Oct

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 07:29:59 PM »
I hope you are right. As somebody who doesn't believe based on research of studies that this is not particularly danagerous unless you are over 65 and or have underlying conditions i do not understand the overhyped fear

A report by the Big10 says that of the athletes that had COVID-19, 35% now have a heart condition, myocarditis (an inflammation of the heart) and cannot safely be athletes anymore.

We don’t know everything about COVID. It’s reckless to think it’s safe.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 10:41:58 AM »
Knee jerk.
And then a follow up report shows that this doctor was not using accurate and contemporary data. He apologized for any confusion related his use of inaccurate data. But, difficult to get even tame butterflies back into shed, once they are released.

Offline riffraft

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 12:29:14 PM »
A report by the Big10 says that of the athletes that had COVID-19, 35% now have a heart condition, myocarditis (an inflammation of the heart) and cannot safely be athletes anymore.

We don’t know everything about COVID. It’s reckless to think it’s safe.

Already been pointed out that this report was retracted.

And I never said it was safe. I said I believe it is less dangerous than it has been portrayed. I treat it like I treat any other virus. I wash my hand regularly, take normal precautions, etc.  I am not going to live my life in fear of what might happen. Everything we do entails some kind of risk and we figure out if the risk is worth the reward. I have looked at the statistics of COVID and believe that the risk of COVID is not worth overly changing my life. YMMV

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 02:49:03 PM »
Knee jerk.
And then a follow up report shows that this doctor was not using accurate and contemporary data. He apologized for any confusion related his use of inaccurate data. But, difficult to get even tame butterflies back into shed, once they are released.

I'd posit that you're both not wrong.  It's clear that we don't have any clue about what some of the long-term effects of that may be.  And it's also clear that we can't live in fear. 

That said, I personally think it is naive to think that this only adversely affects the elderly, infirm, and those with underlying conditions.  I won't live in fear of it, but I will be cautious where I can, and not assume that if I do get it, I will be asymptomatic.  There are literally thousands of cases where very healthy people have become sick, or died, from it.

Offline riffraft

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 03:43:30 PM »
I'd posit that you're both not wrong.  It's clear that we don't have any clue about what some of the long-term effects of that may be.  And it's also clear that we can't live in fear. 

That said, I personally think it is naive to think that this only adversely affects the elderly, infirm, and those with underlying conditions.  I won't live in fear of it, but I will be cautious where I can, and not assume that if I do get it, I will be asymptomatic.  There are literally thousands of cases where very healthy people have become sick, or died, from it.

I understand that people who are healthy have died. Based on what was release by the CDC 94% of the death by Covid had co-morbidities.  That means based on the number of deaths so far (194K) in the US approximate 12,000 death had no other health issues. What we don't know is how many of them were over 65 with no other issues, but let's just assume that none of them fall into that category. There have been 6.5M confirmed cases of COVID. We don't how many many of them had co-morbidities.  Let's assume that only a third of them had no co-morbidities (it is likely the other way around).

so 12,000 deaths out of 2.2M cases means a death rate of .00055% if you have no co-morbidities.  You are more likely to die in so many other ways.

Did the numbers quick, so feel free to check my math or take issues with my reasoning.

And yes, I still believe in being cautious, I am generally risk averse

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 05:05:14 PM »

so 12,000 deaths out of 2.2M cases means a death rate of .00055% if you have no co-morbidities.  You are more likely to die in so many other ways.

So basically look both ways before you walk across the street as you are more likely to get hit by a car.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 08:02:02 PM »
So you're the car and it's your family member who's on the wrong side of the 95% that you hit.  Isn't that just wonderful - and you're probably one of those 50 plus percent of "healthy" people that had absolutely 0 symptoms.  This is way more than about who dies, it's much more about how do you keep THEM safe.  It's just like a hit and run by an unidentified driver.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 08:38:01 PM »
So you're the car and it's your family member who's on the wrong side of the 95% that you hit.  Isn't that just wonderful - and you're probably one of those 50 plus percent of "healthy" people that had absolutely 0 symptoms.  This is way more than about who dies, it's much more about how do you keep THEM safe.  It's just like a hit and run by an unidentified driver.
Exactly,  look both ways and you should be safe to cross the street.  You can do the math but getting hit by a car while walking has a very low survival rate.

Offline riffraft

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 02:33:40 PM »

When I visit my 80yo mother (who does not go out of the house at all, except for Doctors visit), I keep my distance from her. If you are a person who has a co-morbidity where is your responsibility to self-isolate. If you want to keep THEM safe, don't let them out. If they chose to be out and about they are accepting the risk. No one in no place is 100% safe from everything.

Just like I keep an eye on the road when I am driving so I don't hit someone or something with my car, I also do what I can to prevent myself from spreading a virus. Though it would be hard for me to spread a virus I do not have.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 08:15:27 AM »

Actually the number of healthy people walking around with no symptoms (or COVID, for that matter) is upwards of 96%.