Author Topic: Oline snap up to draw D offside  (Read 504 times)

Offline coachschey@gmail.com

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Oline snap up to draw D offside
« on: August 31, 2023, 09:04:15 AM »
WE have had this called both ways just wondering what the rule is.
we have offensive lineman at different times in the game (not all the time) run to the line and all are in a two point stance , ex center, and QB in the shot gun. QB gets ready to receive the ball yells out at that point  the Guards and Tackles pop up quickly and together to look at the side line. Again this is about 2 to 3 times a game and once the Defensive stops jumping they quit popping up.  Like I said during one game the officials said that as long as no D personal is drawn offsides there is no infraction so next time in that game the D went across the neutral zone and O was assessed  the penalty. A few games later we were told that as long as the O lineman do not place their hand on the ground there is no infraction for the offensive and if the D go across the neutral zone it would be infraction on the D.
Please help I need to understand this situation. I don't know if it matters but this is in Illinois. also once the O line are in their two point stances there is about 3 to 4 seconds of no movement then the QB yells and they pop up.
Thanks so much for all you do for high school football.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Oline snap up to draw D offside
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 09:53:55 AM »
Hi Coach Schey-

NFHS Rule 7-1-7 should help explain :

After the ball is ready for play and before the snap begins, no false start shall be made by any A player. It is a false start if :
  a. A shift or feigned charge simulates agtion at the snap.
  b. Any act that is clearly intended to cause B to encrouch.

The false start is a dead ball foul and we should shut the play down before the snap.

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 09:55:36 AM »
Its a False Start.  7-1-7 under either or both a. and b.

a. A shift or feigned charge simulates action at the snap.

or

b. Any act is clearly intended to cause B to encroach

Should be called whether B encroaches or not, but most officials will not call it if B doesn't encroach and just tell you they will if B does as a warning.

Eliminate this play, it is illegal.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 10:59:38 AM »
WE have had this called both ways just wondering what the rule is.
we have offensive lineman at different times in the game (not all the time) run to the line and all are in a two point stance , ex center, and QB in the shot gun. QB gets ready to receive the ball yells out at that point  the Guards and Tackles pop up quickly and together to look at the side line. Again this is about 2 to 3 times a game and once the Defensive stops jumping they quit popping up.  Like I said during one game the officials said that as long as no D personal is drawn offsides there is no infraction so next time in that game the D went across the neutral zone and O was assessed  the penalty. A few games later we were told that as long as the O lineman do not place their hand on the ground there is no infraction for the offensive and if the D go across the neutral zone it would be infraction on the D.
Please help I need to understand this situation. I don't know if it matters but this is in Illinois. also once the O line are in their two point stances there is about 3 to 4 seconds of no movement then the QB yells and they pop up.
Thanks so much for all you do for high school football.

It's all about how smooth it is.  This sounds abrupt and should be called a false start.  If they do it smoothly, then it should be fine.

There are some crews, to avoid a flag, will warn the coach on the first infraction if the defense does not jump across.  They will tell them that if that action makes the defense jump, we're putting it on you.

The only wrong answer is calling this on the defense.  False start all the way.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 07:07:58 AM »
Agree with the previous posts.  And Ralph has got this as IMHO it's a 7.1.7.b. foul:   Any act that is clearly intended to cause B to [/size]encroach[/size].[/i]
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel