Author Topic: Final Score: 106-0  (Read 1908 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Final Score: 106-0
« on: November 02, 2021, 03:04:06 PM »
Happened in Cali but posting here for general discussion:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/11/01/high-school-football-why-106-0-southern-california-score-is-a-teaching-lesson-for-all/?fbclid=IwAR1I043P86ecZhftNFr5qXbni3EndWhARQOGZ6_7XC2tMEVLutc7mByWA2U

What role do officials play in preventing/allowing/whatever word you want to use, in a situation like this?

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Final Score: 106-0
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 03:49:52 PM »
Having called a number of Mart games, the best an official can do is have a heat stroke, pulled muscle or something similar.

I have threatened coaches with a flag if they took their last two time outs to extend a game.   Other than that, you can scratch this team from your schedule.

If you are worried the game may be a blowout you can do what I did once in Goldthwaite and eat some chicken from a gas station before the game.   Beginning the 4th quarter, I was dizzy, nauseated, and ready to puke.   I did survive the game but didn't make it back to the dressing room without loosing my snack plus it was a looooooong drive home with multiple stops for the chicken to get out of me from both ends.   

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 05:02:51 PM »
Aside from helping the losing team make tackles,  all we can do is be miserable.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 05:05:32 PM »
1) No one gets out of bounds.
2) Point of attack, advantage/disadvantage philosophies are discarded.  The "big up" team better be absolutely perfect in their execution of blocks.
3) "I'm sorry Coach but I didn't hear/see you calling timeout."
4) Have play clocks turned off.

Beyond that, its pretty hard. 

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 05:32:11 PM »
Aside from helping the losing team make tackles,  all we can do is be miserable.
This is classic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 05:46:50 PM »
Having called a number of Mart games, the best an official can do is have a heat stroke, pulled muscle or something similar.

I have threatened coaches with a flag if they took their last two time outs to extend a game.   Other than that, you can scratch this team from your schedule.

If you are worried the game may be a blowout you can do what I did once in Goldthwaite and eat some chicken from a gas station before the game.   Beginning the 4th quarter, I was dizzy, nauseated, and ready to puke.   I did survive the game but didn't make it back to the dressing room without loosing my snack plus it was a looooooong drive home with multiple stops for the chicken to get out of me from both ends.   

May be similar to burritos at Allsups! ( Texas Panhandle are)
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 09:07:34 PM »
Allsups burritos are so good though! 

I think, if I were the whitehat for this game, in addition to the above:

1) instruct U to stand over the ball 5-7 seconds every time he spots it.  And we slow walk it back into play, every time.
2) So much as an eyelash moving, is a FST on  the winning team.  And yes, clock is running during penalty administration, and if they're the home team, and the GC operator won't wind it on my signal, we're not playing until he winds it, then we mark it off. 

Such a crappy way to play, to intentionally run up the score like that.  Rivalry or not.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 10:53:49 AM »
If this occurred in Connecticut, where a 50+ victory = a one game disqualification for the victorious coach, this might deserve a two game disqualification. The only savior is a reprieve by the losing team's athletic director. I doubt if he would be in the forgiving mood  :puke: !

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 01:43:53 PM »
Two Christian private schools. One is playing their first Varsity schedule. Indian Rocks Beach Baptist. The Tampa Catholic team is one of the top private schools in the area. Prediction 100-0

Running clock down at the beginning of the third quarter when down by 35....but the Home Team Coach has the option to run the third normal. He has no option in the forth ..

Halftime score .....Tampa 68 , Indian Rocks 0

The Indian Rocks kids have never been hit this hard before. Give Tampa kudos for a coming mercy killing.

Halftime the Head Coach of Tampa asks if he can line up guards in the backfield as the quarterback and run QB sneaks the rest of the game. Maybe he should have asked a tuba player or kicker to run at QB.

What made it funny ....was how you felt sorry for the Indian Rocks Kids. Each kickoff after each score was like watching the front receiving line part like the Red Sea as they ran to get off the field on each kick. That made things more difficult for the players trying to return the kick.

At the end of the game ......those guards scored with each series of plays .....Hard to tackle guards that carry three to four players on 20-25 yard quarterback sneaks. End of the game 106-0.

Head Coach for Indian Rocks was realistic .....My team has to learn to play football. We always stay with regular clock until the end of the third quarter.

At least the front line took their Bible Classes seriously .....They learned a lot from the book of Exodus..... "And Moses parted the Red Sea."   LOL
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 01:46:40 PM by yarnnelg »

Offline Kleiny

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2021, 08:38:33 AM »
1) No one gets out of bounds.
2) Point of attack, advantage/disadvantage philosophies are discarded.  The "big up" team better be absolutely perfect in their execution of blocks.
3) "I'm sorry Coach but I didn't hear/see you calling timeout."
4) Have play clocks turned off.

Beyond that, its pretty hard.

I can’t say that I don’t agree 100% with this mindset in a 49-0 ball game let alone 106-0! That score is mind-blowing. It’s like Tecmo Bowl if Bo Jackson AND Lawrence Taylor are on your team!!

I sure as hell hope the coach was just running the ball between the tackles in the 2nd half because if I saw the QB drop back for a pass then it would’ve been hard keeping my flag sewed to my pants. Yikes!!! I honestly can’t believe a HS football game got THIS out of control!!! It’s truly unbelievable.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2021, 11:10:15 AM »
Long, long ago I was the R in a situation like this where the score was more than 50-0 at the half, and heading for the century mark.  Clock was kept on the field & we agreed running clock or 2 TDs whichever came first, ends a quarter.  Managed to avoid the 100 point win, which NEITHER team would have benefitted from.