Author Topic: Season's done?..ya' can still have fun !  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Season's done?..ya' can still have fun !
« on: December 02, 2021, 08:53:00 AM »
I've been on this planet for a long time and have belonged to several organizations, but none with the camaraderie of our football chapter. The football season always produces the most fun, but we have fun after and before the season, too :

* During the season, we have a 'post-game review' at a local 'refreshment stand'. The crews gather and swap war stories of their games until a the high/lowlights of their games are shown on TV.

* We work the scrimmages for free -the schools pays our chapter for a crew of three and the money is used to charter a bus to take us all to our annual state meeting that's 90 miles away. Sorta' like our days of youth, as we stand eagerly by the bus stop (park & ride) with our lunch pails (coolers)  eAt& !

* We just held the 'referee's prom'...a banquet that includes the wives ,girlfrields, whatever at a local Elks Club. The NFL has the Butkus Award, given the best linebacker. We have the cherished Butt-Kiss award that's presented then  :-*.

* Like all of your chapters, we come from all walks of life. One of ours is a manager of Pepsi Distributers. Pepsi has a skyview box for U-Maine hockey usually available for only the 'elite'. At an upcoming game the 'elite' are the officers and ole' duffers of our chapter ( I'm both). Included with the skyview pass is an open bar and buffet table. Rum & Pepsi will probably be the drink of the day. Many of us have purchased grandstand tickets for our wives or girlfriends- who will be designated drivers.

Our camaraderie stretches beyond fun things....

* We have a lakeside cottage. After a rugged Maine winter, there's a lot to do to ready it for habitation.
As a young buck, it was easy  :D ,as an ole' duffer, its not. This past Spring an official , who also umps baseball, stopped by for a cold one after a game. Seeing what needed to be done, he contacted my football buddies. Many able-bodied ones showed up the following weekend and did in a few hours what would have taken a few weekends for me to do.

* A member ,who was also a Veteran returning from Iraq, arrived on a midnight flight on a snowy night in February. Thanks to his wife's notice, 2/3 of our chapter was there at the airport to greet him.

* When a retired official passes, most officials that knew him will attend his services....

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Please share any stories of your "brotherhood of  z^ "

z^ yEs: ^talk ^talk ^talk ^talk ^talk ^talk ^talk z^

Offline Ralph Damren

Re: Season's done?..ya' can still have fun !
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 06:49:17 AM »
Last night was the gathering of  z^ at the Pepsi skyview box I mentioned above. We had a great time with one eye on the hockey game and the other on the Army-Navy game -of course the box had a TV. There was several football trivia questions floated and I threw out one that nobody could fully answer, so I figured I'd throw it out to you guys:

THE'RE 4 UNIVERSITIES THAT IN THEIR ALUMNI BASE HAVE BOTH A US PRESIDENT AND A SUPER BOWL CHAMPION QB.

NAME: THE SCHOOL, THE PRES & THE QB  tiphat:

By the way, UMaine won the hockey game  :)

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +53/-9
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 07:36:25 AM »
Stanford, Elway, Hoover
Michigan, Brady, Ford
Navy, Staubach, Carter
Miami (OH), Roethlisburger, B. Harrison

But wait, there’s one more! Recent(ish) events have added a fifth to the list. Can you name the school and men who are now part of the club?

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 08:23:09 AM »
Stanford, Elway, Hoover
Michigan, Brady, Ford
Navy, Staubach, Carter
Miami (OH), Roethlisburger, B. Harrison

But wait, there’s one more! Recent(ish) events have added a fifth to the list. Can you name the school and men who are now part of the club?
OF COURSE  :-[ , Joe Biden & Joe Flaco were both Delaware Blue Hens  FlAg1 aWaRd !! Great job, Legacy Zebra, one of the schools you mentioned also had a second Super Bowl champ QB. Hint : He was once a Patriot QB. :)

aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd