Author Topic: Umpire, missing fouls?  (Read 892 times)

Offline Homerdodd1

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Umpire, missing fouls?
« on: October 08, 2023, 10:15:13 AM »
I am a 5th year official and prefer working flanks. However, I recently started working umpire. I understand the basic mechanics/positioning etc, but somehow I feel I may be missing too many holds/fouls. Any tips or suggestions to help me catch the holds after the snaps? Should my post-snap  focus be homed in on a specific player or just give each one a quik glance ? I want to improve my game. Thanks.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Umpire, missing fouls?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 12:46:44 PM »
Not am umpire by trade, I moved from H to R.  I believe the umpire is supposed to focus on G-C-G post-snap so are you doing that?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 06:03:34 PM »
I am a 5th year official and prefer working flanks. However, I recently started working umpire. I understand the basic mechanics/positioning etc, but somehow I feel I may be missing too many holds/fouls. Any tips or suggestions to help me catch the holds after the snaps? Should my post-snap  focus be homed in on a specific player or just give each one a quik glance ? I want to improve my game. Thanks.

If it s not that obvious, is it a hold?
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 11:52:03 PM »
Don't go looking for them.  If they happen they will be HUGE and you will see them along with everyone else in the stadium.  Those are the ones you want to get.  We have a guy through 7 varsity games at Umpire and he hasn't thrown a single flag for anything.  Film supports his lack of flags.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 06:30:00 AM »
Not am umpire by trade, I moved from H to R.  I believe the umpire is supposed to focus on G-C-G post-snap so are you doing that?
....And watch for the runner coming thru those holes. Two reasons:

(1) Get out of his way, it's no fun getting run over;
(2) Holding by those players is key,  as they are enabling the runner to gain extra yards.

You're the traffic cop  P_S by handing out warnings on other locations.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 10:12:57 AM »
Yes, focus on G-C-G.  Typical at the snap you will see a C-G double team a DT. Move off those blocks.  My philsophy is can't hold on a double team unless there is a takedown.  Give the other G a good look. If the ball goes to the left or the right, shift focus to what is happening behind the runner.

In looking at the block, notice the feet of the blocker. You are looking to see if he has been beat, Feet will often give it away, then you can see if there is a restriction.

Holds should be obvious, if you are "trying" to find them, they aren't there.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2023, 06:22:09 PM »
Call holds that make a difference.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 11:34:04 AM »
Possibly too close to LOS. 7-8yd works better than 5.

Offline GoodScout

• FAN REACTION: +9/-9
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 06:52:42 PM »
20-year umpire here. It's a noble calling, and you can devote pages to honing your skills to determine and have your antenae up for holding calls. Here's some key points, some mentioned previously, some that may help.

Presnap: Your keys are going to be C-G-C. You're going to be responsible for snap infractions so keep an eye on the ball. Then widen your view from the C to the two guards next to him.
Presnap evaluation: Look for mismatches. Look for the tiny lineman who's heads-up with the 300-pound tackle. He's the one who's most likely to have to bend the rules to keep the tackle out of the backfield.
Run/Pass: Immediately after the snap you'll be able to tell if it's likely a run or pass. An offensive line surge signals run. A line that takes a step backwards indicates pass blocking. React accordingly.
Shifting from your keys: Use your peripheral vision to ID where the play is moving. If the run is going to the left, start giving up the guard to the right to pick up blocking by the tackle and guard to the left at the point of attack.
Watch their feet: A good tip that a defender is being held is to watch his feet. If he's leaning at an unnatural angle but still managing to stay on his feet, there's only one way he's staying up - he's being held.
Watch YOUR feet: Don't move too much. That was the best learning I got at my first clinic. When you're moving, you're less focused on what you're seeing. Plant yourself 7-9 yards or so back and try and stay there. If a runner comes right at you - freeze. Make him commit to go left or right. Remember: You're the only one back there NOT trying to tackle him, so he should avoid you. Then just pivot as he goes by you and watch the action around him.
Double teams are rarely holds: Most umpires will rarely throw a holding penalty on a double-team block. But never say never. I've done it once or twice when the hold has been egregious. Just keep your eyes open.
Grasping: Grasping is not holding. In order for a grasp to be a hold, the defender has to make an attempt to elude the grasp of the blocker and be restricted from making his way to the ball carrier. As I often tell complaining defenders: "Until you try and get away, you're just dancing."
Make them big: A holding penalty needs to be big. A restriction at the point of attack that keeps the defender from reaching the ball carrier needs to be called; One on the opposite side of the field from a TE that was never going to get the ball carrier doesn't. That said. If someone picks up and throws that TE to the ground where everyone can see it, you've got to throw that flag. And take a second to tell the blocker what a dumb foul it was.
Be preventative: If someone grabs and restricts a defender well away from the play, tell him as he's heading back to his huddle (out of earshot of the defense) "Hey No. 74 - If the play had come to your side of the field you would have cost your team 10 yards." That lets them know you're watching; you see what they're doing; and they shouldn't do it again.
NEVER ball-watch: There's rarely a need for you to watch the football - A football never commits a foul. Watch the blocks on the line. As the ballcarrier comes toward you, watch the blocks in front of him and immediately behind him. After he's gone, watch the trailing players for cheap shots. On sweeps toward the sidelines, watch for action away from the ball. Umpires are never off-duty.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 07:02:42 PM by GoodScout »