Author Topic: Arm Sleeves  (Read 570 times)

Offline KDJBBBJ

• FAN REACTION: +1/-2
Arm Sleeves
« on: April 09, 2024, 06:43:45 PM »
Are there any restrictions on having a team logo or team name on an arm sleeve?  The only thing i could find on uniform adornments was about having one on the towel.

Offline sczeebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-7
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Arm Sleeves
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 07:08:47 AM »
Just ask your umpire if it's dangerous, confusing or inappropriate.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 07:59:39 AM »
1-3a-5: Any transerse stripe on the sleeve below the elbow.  P_S

1-3c-1 : Ball-colored helmets,jerseys,patches,exterior arm covers/pads undershirts or gloves.  P_S

PER PROCLAMATION OF THE FASHION POLICE
 P_S P_S P_S P_S P_S (5-man crew)

Offline sczeebra

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 11:01:00 AM »
 Does anyone know when and why the transverse rule was enacted?

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 08:29:57 PM »
Does anyone know when and why the transverse rule was enacted?

I can't tell when it was enacted, but I believe it was to prevent sleeves from simulating the stripes on the ball for the same reason the uniform can't be ball colored.

Offline sczeebra

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 01:00:58 PM »
The Federation may have to meet in an emergency session to prohibit transverse stripes on gloves as I seen nothing to prohibit this!

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 01:27:58 PM »
I can't tell when it was enacted, but I believe it was to prevent sleeves from simulating the stripes on the ball for the same reason the uniform can't be ball colored.

I've been intown (on the rules committee) since 1993 and couldn't find when this was born from my records. It may be dated back to the Knute Rockne era  :o.

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 01:38:29 PM »
The Federation may have to meet in an emergency session to prohibit transverse stripes on gloves as I seen nothing to prohibit this!

1-5-3c(1) : "Ball colored helmets,jerseys,patches,exterior arm covers/pads, undershirts or GLOVES."  IMHO, this could apply and woulsd save the need for an emergency meeting.  tiphat:

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2024, 08:02:03 PM »
I've been intown (on the rules committee) since 1993 and couldn't find when this was born from my records. It may be dated back to the Knute Rockne era  :o.
I have a Rules Book from 1974 and the stripes were illegal then.    1-5-3g
The rule was not shaded, so the rule was enacted before that year.

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2024, 12:12:18 PM »
After further review by the replay official ( searching by an ole' duffer whose baseball game was rained out) , I've discovered that in 1957 (Ike was in the White House & and the Red Sox were in last place) this was listed as a rule change :

1-5-3-f : White transverse strips on jersey sleeve below the elbow is prohibited.

another noteble rule change.....

9-2-2-h : Grasping the face mask is prohibited.  ^flag

as time progressed......

1960 : 1-5-1 ... Requires a player to wear a face protector while playing.

1963 :  1-5-1-(e)... All players are required to wear shoes.

1982 :  1-5-1d.... Pants required.

tR:oLl
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 01:58:18 PM by Ralph Damren »

Offline hef333

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2024, 02:46:34 PM »

As an Umpire...I would like to personally thank whoever came up with this one....otherwise I'd spend my late Friday nights rinsing my eyes with Clorox!   :!#

Offline sczeebra

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2024, 04:06:45 PM »
The shoe rule was probably in response to Dick Kenney the barefooted kicker for Michigan State in the 60,s. He arrived at MSU in 1963 from Iolani HS. Honolulu Hawaii. Duffy Daugherty made him wear a shoe for his first year then relaxed his stance(pun intended). Question: Was Hawaii in the National Federation for HS sports in back then. Or were they skeered the might become a new fad?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 05:00:07 PM »
Sorry to distract, but I’ve always thought it strange that, in NCAA, socks are required, but shoes are not. Go figure.

***Forgot to mention that there is an exception to mandatory socks for ‘barefooted kickers.’ Haven’t personally seen one since A&M’s Tony Franklin.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 10:04:49 AM by ElvisLives »

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2024, 06:45:34 AM »
The shoe rule was probably in response to Dick Kenney the barefooted kicker for Michigan State in the 60,s. He arrived at MSU in 1963 from Iolani HS. Honolulu Hawaii. Duffy Daugherty made him wear a shoe for his first year then relaxed his stance(pun intended). Question: Was Hawaii in the National Federation for HS sports in back then. Or were they skeered the might become a new fad?
Hawaii joined the NFHS in 1958, a year before statehood. Alaska joined in in 1951, before their statehood also in 1959. Useless knowledge : Hawaii became a state in August ,1959. Alaska became one before July 4th, The flag rule is if statehood occurred prior to 7/4 a star would be added, so the 'Alaska flag' flew 49 stars until 7/4/1960 when Hawaii's star was added.
The Gogolak brothers may have caused this short lived fad by kicking barefoot for the Giants and Redskins back then.

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2024, 07:04:40 AM »
Sorry to distract, but I’ve always thought it strange that, in NCAA, socks are required, but shoes are not. Go figure.
For many schools in cold climates, going barefoot could cause frostbite . May I suggest LLBean's Artic Tundra Socks, as loosing a toe or two to frostbite could effect one's kicking ability.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2024, 07:21:48 AM »
I had a kicker this past season who came in to try an XP barefooted.  After I sent him off, they lined up to go for two, having no other kicker available.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2024, 07:58:00 AM »

As an Umpire...I would like to personally thank whoever came up with this one....otherwise I'd spend my late Friday nights rinsing my eyes with Clorox!   :!#

I believe "Rule making" is often the simplest way of avoiding/eliminating really stupid objections that most often amount to abstract nonsense.  Unfortunately, "Creative thinking" too often produces little more than "Why can't we" nonsense.  Football, like any/every other game, creates rules to maintain a level, consistent playing opportunity and are generally intended to realistically create practical guidelines for  general participation, applicable for ALL participants.  Annual rule reviews, considerations & adjustments (where/when necessary) are designed to insure continued relevance to each specific sport.

Such periodic reviews are designed to adjust rules, where considered necessary, to maintain an/or continue relevance to their particular sport/activity, and eliminate/avoid irrelevant modifications that are deemed unnecessary, or do not apply to general participation to the intended audience.

Participants, Coaches & Administrators are REQUIRED to accept & adhere to their chosen sport's current rules. Should/If/When existing rules/requirements become objectionable, the athlete/coach/administrator has absolute discretion to consider wide range of alternate activities to consider participation each of which, very likely require their own rule requirements, based on their own unique activity.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 08:12:34 AM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline sczeebra

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2024, 06:01:25 AM »
While we were talking about socks here I just wanted to post a thread(pun intended) for a company close to Ralph in Vermont, Darn Tough Vermont. I have been wearing wool socks as part of my uniform and at home for years. If anyone is not familiar with the wearing of wool IMHO there is nothing better. They will keep your feet regulated (warm or cool) but the best part of the deal is as Frank Zappa would say, you will avoid Bromhidrosis the legendary Stink-Foot. Try them and watch out where the huskies go!

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2024, 08:58:12 AM »
Thanks, I'll definitely try those, I'm a big fan of Stance and Bombas socks... it's amazing the difference a quality pair of socks can make in how your feet feel - I'll never, ever, ever go back to wearing cheap cotton socks again.