Author Topic: First Time I have Heard This  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Kevin Durst

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
First Time I have Heard This
« on: November 17, 2014, 01:05:11 PM »
I guess you never see everything no matter how long you officiate.  We had something happen in a recent game that I have never had happen in my 36 years of officiating, and just wondering if anyone else had ever seen this or anything similar.

Only a couple of minutes left in the game.  Quarterback scrambles and takes off downfield where about 3 defenders get ahold of him.  He probably drags them all about 5 yards before finally going down.  When they unpile, the Quarterback says he cannot find his play card that was on his wrist.  Said it got ripped off his wrist while he was in the pile. Of course it is not laying on the ground, and no one on the defense claims to have it.  Quarterback and his coach insists that the defense ripped it off and took it and he wants it back.  He wanted us to check all the players on the other team to see if we could find it, which we did not do.  They gave the QB a replacement play card for his wrist and the offense then basically ran the clock out to end the game. 

Jim D.

Re: First Time I have Heard This
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 01:40:53 PM »
You handled it correctly.  The only thing on one team I would check on the request of the opponent is for illegal equipment.  I'm not searching anyone for lost items.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 06:19:57 PM »
You handled it correctly.  The only thing on one team I would check on the request of the opponent is for illegal equipment.  I'm not searching anyone for lost items.

What he said!

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
Reminds me of one scene in the movie "Wildcats."
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 09:36:29 AM »
Shoplifting or pickpocketing is a crime in Maine and should be heard in juvenile court P_S P_S P_S . However, neither are a foul in NFHS UNLESS they involve an official's personal items such as false teeth, wig, etc. Grabbing a wig or false teeth of an official should be enforced under 9-4-2. :-X :-[