Author Topic: Untimed down  (Read 4377 times)

Sjref

Untimed down
« on: November 23, 2014, 07:31:31 AM »
4th qt, 1 point game. 7
Seconds remain in the game. A 2 & 8 @50. A1 passes to a2. B 3 is flagged for defensive holding. .4 seconds remain on the clock. I know enforcement of pentaly, but what happens with clock after administration of pentaly? Clock starts on ready? Untimed down? Clock didn't run out DURING play. Start on snap?

Please cite rules if possible

Offline Bwest

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
Re: Untimed down
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:45:55 AM »
Turn tenths of a second off your clock and you can avoid these.  nAnA

Assuming A2 was tackled inbounds, the clock will be starting on the ready here.

The book copy I have nearby isn't 2014 so I cant give you a reference.

Sjref

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 07:58:25 AM »
Was game clock and not wrist clock so really was out of our control.
I don't have copy of rule book on me (in car, cold out) but it gives references to give a untimed down if the clock runs "out during the down". It's higlighted in gray meaning a change/new rule. I know In years past we would start clock on ready and then give an untimed down, but rule now seems to only agree with that assessment when it runs out during play .

Just wanted to hear some other opinions on it

Offline Bwest

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:21:26 AM »
Was game clock and not wrist clock so really was out of our control.
I don't have copy of rule book on me (in car, cold out) but it gives references to give a untimed down if the clock runs "out during the down". It's higlighted in gray meaning a change/new rule. I know In years past we would start clock on ready and then give an untimed down, but rule now seems to only agree with that assessment when it runs out during play .

Just wanted to hear some other opinions on it

Yeah, that's the new rule change this year. Last year there would have been an untimed down, this year they have .4 seconds to snap the ball with the clock running on the RFP.

Martin Kiff

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »
How can the offense be "Set" for a second, after the ready is blown with .4 seconds on the clock.  The game is over.  Get rid of the 10ths of a second, it will only cause problems.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 08:55:10 PM »
Was game clock

What is being suggested is that your referee instruct the clock operator to disable the tenth of a second reading on the clock to avoid this scenario.  Some clock controls have that ability.

However, if the ECO is not an official, it is a rare thing, at least around here for them to bother to report to the field or dressing room for official instructions.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 09:17:43 PM »
How can the offense be "Set" for a second, after the ready is blown with .4 seconds on the clock.  The game is over.  Get rid of the 10ths of a second, it will only cause problems.
They can be set before the RFP.  Nothing requires the 1 second set to be AFTER the RFP, only after the huddle.

Offline Suudy

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 10:04:31 PM »
They can be set before the RFP.  Nothing requires the 1 second set to be AFTER the RFP, only after the huddle.
Not to be too pedantic, but it's after any shift. Of course, moving from a huddle into formation is a shift. But there are other scenarios.

But your basic point is correct. Be in formation ready to snap at least 1 sec and snap as soon as you hear the whistle.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 06:58:37 AM »
I ask the ECO to turn off the tenths, some can ,some can not/will not. However in this situation with tenths on clock will read .4, with tenths off clock will read :01
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 08:39:13 AM »
IMHO, the white hat should announce : "The clock WILL START on my whistle." I don't want A to be surprised if they linger and the period ends.

Offline fudilligas

• FAN REACTION: +12/-6
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 11:37:06 AM »

If you can't get rid of the 10ths of seconds, get rid of the timer!!!!!