Author Topic: Backward pass OB to conserve time  (Read 884 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Backward pass OB to conserve time
« on: November 04, 2022, 08:35:29 AM »
On another forum, there is a discussion regarding a backward pass purposely thrown out of bounds to stop the clock (conserve time). Just to differentiate from the game in that other forum, for NCAA, that is an illegal pass to conserve time, and carries a 5-yard penalty from the spot of the pass, plus loss of down, PLUS the game clock starts on the referee's signal.

I am grateful I never had to work two different sets of rules.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
Re: Backward pass OB to conserve time
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 10:56:55 AM »
I am grateful I never had to work two different sets of rules.

Oh, be honest.  You know you would have loved the chance to work another set of rules...NFL, of course.   ;D

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 11:54:07 AM »
OK, technically, with UIL exceptions, I worked two separate sets of rules for about 5 years.
NFL? Yeah, like virtually all D1/FBS officials, I applied. Obviously, they weren’t interested in an overaged hack from Texas. But, based on what I hear from some sources today, I’m not sure I would want to be working in that environment, today. The culture - players and officiating - has changed a lot in the last 25 years.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 09:50:40 AM »
OK, technically, with UIL exceptions, I worked two separate sets of rules for about 5 years.
NFL? Yeah, like virtually all D1/FBS officials, I applied. Obviously, they weren’t interested in an overaged hack from Texas. But, based on what I hear from some sources today, I’m not sure I would want to be working in that environment, today. The culture - players and officiating - has changed a lot in the last 25 years.

This is year 21 of college officiating for me and it's changed so much from when I started, it's crazy!  I'm sure the NFL is similar.