Author Topic: KCI  (Read 1836 times)

Offline animalspooker

• FAN REACTION: +1/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
KCI
« on: November 23, 2020, 08:51:56 AM »
If K commits KCI, R can choose:

A) 15 yards from the previous spot
B) Awarded FC at the spot of the foul
C) Awarded FC after a 15 yard penalty

My question: Why is 'C' worded the way it is?  Is it in order to say that you get the awarded fait catch after administering the penalty, in case you wanted to perform a free kick?

Also, Option C was not always an option was it?  How long ago was this option added?

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
Re: KCI
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 10:20:25 AM »
Yes and no.
Yes, it's worded that way to make sure we understand that after the 15yd enforcement, there is an awarded FC at that spot, in case R wants to try a field goal by Free kick.

No, option C has not always been in the enforcement progression. It came in with the "Foul by K during a kick" exceptions.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 10:54:11 AM »
In addition to the free kick option, R can designate the spot between the hashmarks that the ball will next be put in play -- after a fair catch, but not after a "normal" scrimmage kick. If the kick was caught and returned, the ball is placed where it became dead (or closest hash if in the side zone).

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 12:15:52 PM »
In addition to the free kick option, R can designate the spot between the hashmarks that the ball will next be put in play -- after a fair catch, but not after a "normal" scrimmage kick. If the kick was caught and returned, the ball is placed where it became dead (or closest hash if in the side zone).

A unique circumstance relating to choosing a Free Kick, following a Fair Catch or Awarded Fair Catch, is that the "Free Kick" is considered to be a Field Goal attempt, and, if successful, scores 3 points (NFHS: 8-4-1-a), subject to the formation requirements of a "Free Kick" NFHS:6-1-2, 3 & 4)

Also worth considering,  (NFHS: 6-5-4-a through c) "these choices remain....or a foul or IW occurs during the next down and the down is repeated." 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:18:09 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 04:00:56 PM »
PSK came in 2003.  I don't think the AFC + 15 for KCI changed until 2013.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 06:32:30 PM »
If I remember, the basic spot for k fouls exception came after PSK. But I could be wrong.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 10:06:28 PM »
If K commits KCI, R can choose:

A) 15 yards from the previous spot
B) Awarded FC at the spot of the foul
C) Awarded FC after a 15 yard penalty

My question: Why is 'C' worded the way it is?  Is it in order to say that you get the awarded fait catch after administering the penalty, in case you wanted to perform a free kick?

Also, Option C was not always an option was it?  How long ago was this option added?

I also thought it was really stupid that when they added option C, they kept option B.  Like, who isn't going to take the +15 yards?

Offline PABJNR

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 05:45:36 AM »
Also similar option on Free Kick OOB with the 5 yard in advance of where the kick went OOB option, when this was added they left in the spot it went out as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 06:10:08 AM »
I remember that discussion. I think it boiled down to the basic fundamentals. While nobody could conceive a situation in which R would take such an option, the spot is still an option.