Author Topic: Overtime Bridge Foul  (Read 947 times)

Offline Mad Mike

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Overtime Bridge Foul
« on: October 01, 2023, 12:47:59 AM »
SITUATION:

First overtime, A scores a touchdown and B commits a face mask foul during the play.

Does A have a choice to have this enforced on B's next series on offense? (Assuming they do not want to take the penalty on the try.) Looking at rules in 8-2-1 thru 5, it is not entirely clear to me if they can bridge this to B's next possession of the ball.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: Overtime Bridge Foul
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 07:54:20 AM »
All of these specify “on the try; or on the subsequent kickoff.”  We don’t kick off in OT.

A USC or non-player foul, OTOH, would allow that choice, since one option is “subsequent spot.”
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 08:31:47 AM by bama_stripes »

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 12:53:34 PM »
All of these specify “on the try; or on the subsequent kickoff.”  We don’t kick off in OT.

Right. So the answer is no. The only option is to have the penalty enforced on the try.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 12:57:02 PM »

A USC or non-player foul, OTOH, would allow that choice, since one option is “subsequent spot.”

I believe these fouls (live balls treated as dead balls) also say "subsequent kickoff," on a touchdown-scoring play. If they happen during or after a try, then the language is "succeeding spot."

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 04:41:44 PM »

No, there is no such term in the NFHS rule book as "subsequent spot".  In your scenario of USC or non-player foul, 8-2-4 provides the same enforcement - try or subsequent kickoff.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2023, 04:51:43 PM »
Again a word of caution here as many states have adopted their own set of rules for "OT".
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Fatso

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2023, 01:45:45 PM »
SITUATION:

First overtime, A scores a touchdown and B commits a face mask foul during the play.

Does A have a choice to have this enforced on B's next series on offense? (Assuming they do not want to take the penalty on the try.) Looking at rules in 8-2-1 thru 5, it is not entirely clear to me if they can bridge this to B's next possession of the ball.

Foul during TD play = enforce on the try or subsequent kickoff.  (No kickoffs in OT so only choice is on try).
Foul during FG or Try = accept penalty and replay down, or enforce from succeeding spot which can be the first play in OT.

Offline Mad Mike

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 08:37:20 PM »
Fatso,

Do you have a rule reference for the second part of your statement, "Foul during FG or Try = accept penalty and replay down, or enforce from succeeding spot which can be the first play in OT."?

I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly.
Thanks

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2023, 09:06:14 PM »
Just go read Rule 8.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 06:53:24 AM »
Why can't we get this fixed (Ralph?) ???  In Rule 8 regarding enforcement of penalties after a score:

Section 2 - Touchdown ..... On the try or On the subsequent kickoff
Section 3 - Try .... from the succeeding spot
Section 4 - Field Goal .... from the succeeding spot

My understanding (I'm in MA so I don't have Ralph's long term history here) is that this "discrepancy" has existed long before the OT option was offered in NFHS rules.  Is there some reason why this can't be fixed?  It comes up multiple times every season on this board.  I do understand that regarding a TD there may not be an OT depending on the result of the try but the wording should address the OT problem.  IMHO lets allow the coach to make a decision here.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 08:43:04 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2023, 12:02:15 PM »
I believe some of the rule changes to Rule 8 occurred in  2007 and 2009 .

https://football.refs.org/rules/NFrules2009pr.html

Offline juxone

• FAN REACTION: +1/-2
  • Always seeking a deeper understanding.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2023, 12:19:45 PM »
Not an overtime but a clock time question.. 

During the game An assistant coach collides with an official in the restricted area during a down as the
game clock goes to 0:00 at the end of the 3rd quarter. The down counts, and the penalty, if accepted is enforced. Is there an untimed down to follow? Since this was a non-player foul, i didn't think there should have been an untimed down?

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2023, 01:26:15 PM »
3-4-4b

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2023, 02:16:56 PM »
3-4-4b

Again, the problem as I see it is that the current language was adopted BEFORE the current OT rules were adopted and to complicate matters the NFHS allows individual states to have their own rules for OT. My suggestion, though probably overly simplistic is to let the coaches to decide the enforcement (try or succeeding spot) and be done with it.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2023, 03:15:35 PM »
That has absolutely nothing to do with my answer to his off topic question regarding an untimed down. 

deadhorse:

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2023, 04:28:39 PM »
That has absolutely nothing to do with my answer to his off topic question regarding an untimed down. 

deadhorse:

Lol, I'm having trouble keeping up...

Offline juxone

• FAN REACTION: +1/-2
  • Always seeking a deeper understanding.
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2023, 04:41:26 PM »
Lol, I'm having trouble keeping up...

Sorry folks, I know the question was not directly related but it was a time question.. I will do better.  ^no tiphat:

Online GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2023, 05:57:39 PM »

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2023, 10:27:49 PM »
I believe you mean 3-3-4b.

No.  3-4-4b 2 to be exact

Not an overtime but a clock time question..

During the game An assistant coach collides with an official in the restricted area during a down as the
game clock goes to 0:00 at the end of the 3rd quarter. The down counts, and the penalty, if accepted is enforced. Is there an untimed down to follow? Since this was a non-player foul, i didn't think there should have been an untimed down?

Offline Fatso

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2023, 09:21:57 AM »
Fatso,

Do you have a rule reference for the second part of your statement, "Foul during FG or Try = accept penalty and replay down, or enforce from succeeding spot which can be the first play in OT."?

I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly.
Thanks
8-2-5  td
8-3-5  try
8-4-3  fg

The key language is succeeding spot vs subsequent kickoff.  Subsequent kickoff can only be on a kickoff, period.  If there is no kickoff, it must be enforced on the try or declined of course.  Succeeding spot means the next play whether it's a kickoff or regular scrimmage down, etc.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 09:27:19 AM by Fatso »