Author Topic: Glad I didn't officiate this one  (Read 6626 times)

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.

Offline Suudy

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
Re: Glad I didn't officiate this one
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:55:22 AM »
Come on out to 8-man football.  We see these kinds of games frequently.  Here's a list of scores of one team we frequently see:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/sunnyside-christian-knights-(sunnyside,wa)/football/schedule.htm

62-22 (W)
68-50 (W)
56-44 (L)
49-14 (L)
102-34 (L)
52-10 (L)
72-18 (W)

I did a game years ago that finished 78-65, back when we had the 45+ point mercy rule.  The home team would get up to about a 40 point lead, then put in their second and third string.  The visiting team would come back within about 20, then the first string would go back in and extend the lead.  That went on for just shy of 4 hours.

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 11:58:29 AM »
I've done my share of high scoring 8 man games, but I have not seen anything close to 107 to 90. I've been in plenty of 90-120 point combined score games. This season, the highest score we had was 92 to 52. I'm glad I wasn't in that one either.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 12:00:47 PM »
One of our crews had an 82-0 game last week -- 11-man.
Winning coach doesn't get along very well with the losing coach.    hEaDbAnG

Offline UmpSC

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »
Had a 76-7 game this year.  Losing coach threatened to pull his team and walk if the other team hit 90. 

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 01:26:03 PM »
I had one that was 42-0 at the end of the first quarter, and the home team had only run 4 plays.  They scored on a punt return, took the first play for a TD, took the first play for a TD again, blocked a punt and returned it for a TD, took the first play of a TD a third time, and took the first play for a TD a fourth time.  11-man ball. None of the 4 offensive scoring plays was longer than about 35 yards, either.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »
Had a 76-7 game this year.  Losing coach threatened to pull his team and walk if the other team hit 90. 

Those sure are fun to officiate, aren't they?  Especially when the winning team is still passing and their coach is complaining about missed calls.

Ralph told a story about a coach on the short end of one of these disasters electing to kick after the other team scored.  Said something like "Tell that 'gentleman' on the other sideline that if he wants to score so bad, then we elect to kick to him."  Or something along those lines.

I'm aware of some officials who begin to see holding fouls by the offense that is ahead by 40+ and still throwing.   :sTiR:

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 01:47:19 PM »
Those sure are fun to officiate, aren't they?  Especially when the winning team is still passing and their coach is complaining about missed calls.

Ralph told a story about a coach on the short end of one of these disasters electing to kick after the other team scored.  Said something like "Tell that 'gentleman' on the other sideline that if he wants to score so bad, then we elect to kick to him."  Or something along those lines.

I'm aware of some officials who begin to see holding fouls by the offense that is ahead by 40+ and still throwing.   :sTiR:
That was in a state championship game, and when I informed the winning coach to send his receiving team out as the opponents were going to kickoff, his reply was, "GEE, I was only allowing our seniors to get their 'last licks'. I'll wholesale sub right now and please apologize to (the opposing coach) for me :bOW." My response was, "You can do that ,yourself, in the postgame handshake line :-*"....I didn't stick around to see if he did.

Offline UmpSC

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 01:56:44 PM »
This wasn't an unexpected outcome to this game.  The coach on the losing end told us before the game that he was good with us having a running clock when the game got out of hand.

It was 41-0 in the first quarter.  Unfortunately we need both coaches to agree to the running clock and the coach in the lead was adamant that it not be instituted.  He finally put his backups in mid-way through the 3rd quarter.  When they got a couple of illegal formation fouls he made a point of saying, "See, my 2s and 3s need the work.  They need to know how to line up." 

At which point I said to the back judge, "That's what practice is for.  Friday night is not the time for that." 

To top it off, it was homecoming for the losing team.  Seemed an odd choice of opponent for halftime, but they don't really have any options to bring in a much weaker opponent.  I'm sure that wasn't the only homecoming game they played in this year, IYKWIM. 

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 02:27:33 PM »

It was 41-0 in the first quarter.  Unfortunately we need both coaches to agree to the running clock and the coach in the lead was adamant that it not be instituted.  He finally put his backups in mid-way through the 3rd quarter. 

Boy, what a good sport  hEaDbAnG

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 02:40:20 PM »

The team that was up 42-0 was up 56-0 with about a minute left in the second quarter, and was running no-huddle and called a timeout late in the half.  The hold I called on the next play was certainly there, but I might have considered passing on it in other circumstances.  And I was told by our observer in the post-game that it was a great flag.

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 02:59:15 PM »
The team that was up 42-0 was up 56-0 with about a minute left in the second quarter, and was running no-huddle and called a timeout late in the half.  The hold I called on the next play was certainly there, but I might have considered passing on it in other circumstances.  And I was told by our observer in the post-game that it was a great flag.

I agree with your observer - Great Call, VA.  +1

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 05:05:09 PM »
I had an 86-80 8-man game this year (Not fun)

Also had a game that was 55-0 at halftime ending score was 55-35. Winning team kept their 2nd and 3rd string in the whole second half even with the other team coming back. Give that coach a lot of credit would have been very easy to insert the starters back in.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 09:14:30 PM »
I recall hearing about the response of a major collegiate coach several years ago, when asked if a traditional rival seemed upset going into their annual competition after really being pounding by him the previous season.

He replied,  " I don't think so, during the pre-game warm ups I saw him across the field and gave him a friendly "peace" signal, and he promptly gave me half that signal back"