Author Topic: Assisting the Runner  (Read 1226 times)

Offline jra104

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Assisting the Runner
« on: October 30, 2022, 03:42:26 PM »
What is the ruling on this play? OL assisting the runner.
https://youtu.be/5rDZWObSN9I

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Assisting the Runner
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 04:00:46 PM »
This is a marginal case of assisting the ball carrier. Considering the BC was largely under his own power the entire time, and he also had defenders adding to his forward movement, the amount of assistance actually provided by A56 is arguable. I think the better call in this case is a no call, with a ‘talk to’ to A56 (i.e., don’t grab, lift, etc. the ball carrier and help him move forward).
The example shown on a recent CFO video is what needs a to be called. In that one, the teammate is in advance of the BC, and he turns around, grabs the BC - who is facing backward - around the chest, lifts him, and drags the BC some 3-4 yards, with the BC offering no forward movement of his own. Now, that is assisting the BC. This example…marginal. Not worth of ruling ‘foul,’ but worthy of a caution to the suspect ‘assistant.’

Offline jra104

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 04:31:16 PM »
Thanks. Where can we see the CFO videos?
As I’ve posted before our coaching staff wants to better informed than others as to the rules.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 05:58:02 PM »
Thanks. Where can we see the CFO videos?
As I’ve posted before our coaching staff wants to better informed than others as to the rules.

I’m not sure you can, if you aren’t a member of the CFO, or have special access granted to various officiating organizations (various registration fees, depending on your level of access).
They are on the CFO portion of the www.ArbiterSports.com web site. But, I gotta be honest. I got on in the earliest days of Arbiter, through the FBS conference I was in, at the time, and just renew every year, when prompted by Arbiter. I truly do not know how you register for anything on Arbiter. All I can tell you is to contact Arbiter and inquire. Perhaps someone else on this discussion board can be of more assistance.

Offline jra104

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 09:11:42 PM »
I’m in Arbiter but as a HS basketball referee.  Maybe I can hunt around that way?

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 09:42:25 PM »
I elieve anyone can view the videos here, I don't think you have to be logged into Arbiter to view them.  https://cfo.arbitersports.com/front/104777/Site

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 03:33:36 AM »
I elieve anyone can view the videos here, I don't think you have to be logged into Arbiter to view them.  https://cfo.arbitersports.com/front/104777/Site

Nope, all content there is restricted to the current members only - even the play situation bulletins, which I really would like to be public.

Then again, if you want to have access to that content, just register as an "international" official, I think we have the lowest fee.

Offline JBall

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 05:44:08 PM »
I would agree with a no call I think the runner may have been picked up of the ground and the pile was moving but I don't think the lineman picked him up.  Warn after the play you can push pile but not lift  the runner and carry him or pull forward.