Author Topic: Unsportsmanlike Rule on TDs  (Read 4608 times)

GettingItRight

Unsportsmanlike Rule on TDs
« on: September 14, 2010, 02:55:38 PM »
Hello again folks, another CFB season has dawned.  Can someone help me with rule changes -- specifically the unsportsmanlike rule when a TD is scored?  Seems like last year we had all sorts of controversy over aggressive calls on that (remember Georgia game for one) and next year you can lose TD points for the foul...so, did they just decide NOT to have it this year at all?  I have not seen one called so far and the number of players diving/flipping into the endzone is crazy already.  Nothing called?  That doesn't take into account the number of celebrations I have seen that would have drawn a flag last year (hand to ear, posing, etc).  What is the rule this year?  Thanks

Offline mishatx

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
  • Free Agent
Re: Unsportsmanlike Rule on TDs
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:18:26 PM »
The rule hasn't changed.

Kansas was flagged for a player diving in the endzone on Saturday.

GettingItRight

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 03:23:25 PM »
It is being flagged inconsistently then...Purdue QB ran at least 10 yds totally alone before somersaulting in the end zone -- no flag.  Bama receiver against PSU did a flip into end zone -- no flag.  I would have expected to see flags on all of those for sure, but nada, so I thought maybe the rule had changed.  If not, it is interesting to me it is now going the other way -- toward leniency.  Not like the SEC, for sure!

Thanks

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:10:21 AM »
I think it was a big ten crew even though it was played at Alabama.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:11:56 AM »
The PSU-Ala game was called by a Big Ten crew (referee was Dave Witvoet).  It is common among major conferences for the crew to come from the visiting team's conference, however this is a negotiable issue when the contracts are written.

GettingItRight

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 11:05:32 AM »
True on the B10 crew -- I had forgotten that.  It just looks to me like the rule is softened this year, not being called as much, so I wondered if there had been a change.  So, now that all these players have decided this is the thing to do, they will be in a world of hurt next year when it hurts really big to draw that flag.  Thanks

Diablo

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 12:03:45 PM »
It just looks to me like the rule is softened this year, not being called as much, so I wondered if there had been a change.  So, now that all these players have decided this is the thing to do, they will be in a world of hurt next year when it hurts really big to draw that flag.  Thanks

If you think officials are not flagging these acts this year, why do you believe they will next year when the consequence is more severe?  One could argue there would be less enforcement in 2011.

Grant - AR

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 01:42:51 PM »
True on the B10 crew -- I had forgotten that.  It just looks to me like the rule is softened this year, not being called as much, so I wondered if there had been a change.  So, now that all these players have decided this is the thing to do, they will be in a world of hurt next year when it hurts really big to draw that flag.  Thanks

Unless I'm mistaken, a play like the one in the Penn St @ Alabama game will still be enforced the same next year as it is this year.  The ball was already in the endzone (looks like it already crossed the goal line) when he committed the foul.  The "big ones" for next year are the taunts, etc. that start at the 5 or 10 yard line.  They will be brought back to the spot of the foul.