Author Topic: NCAA Football Rule Change Proposals  (Read 600 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
NCAA Football Rule Change Proposals
« on: March 04, 2024, 08:24:45 AM »
I'll guess that the UIL will only adopt two of the NCAA's proposed rule changes. The two-minute time out and the horse-collar tackle in the tackle box will get approved, I believe. But, they won't allow the technology rules. They will continue to NOT support letting the clock run on first downs inbounds, and they will not support a change to the uniform and equipment violations enforcement - they'll leave it just as it is.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: NCAA Football Rule Change Proposals
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 08:58:02 AM »
If they don't adopt the uniform and equipment violations proposal, then we effectively concede the kneepad issue forever. Coaches will see that it wasn't adopted and (correctly) assume that UIL doesn't care about it.

Offline FWREF

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 09:58:55 AM »
Link to this year proposed changes? 

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 10:10:42 AM »
If they don't adopt the uniform and equipment violations proposal, then we effectively concede the kneepad issue forever. Coaches will see that it wasn't adopted and (correctly) assume that UIL doesn't care about it.

The coaches are the UIL, and, unlike the NCAA, they have the ability to select officials that will ignore the kneepad rule, no matter how restrictive or punitive the rule is written. So, there ya go....

Even in the NCAA, as officials, we don't like to have to constantly harp on teams, week after week, and, in reality, get no results. No one wants to be the guy that makes all-world quarterback for BigTime U sit out until he can change pants to cover his knees. Or worse, not allow him to play at all, because, as visitors, they didn't bring any spare pants, and have no way to get him pants with longer legs, other than to scavenge some from another player, who, then, won't get to play. It is a mess that we are powerless to fix.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 01:03:21 PM »
Link to this year proposed changes?

See the NCAA forum.

Offline blindtxzebra

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 01:51:58 PM »
I'll guess that the UIL will only adopt two of the NCAA's proposed rule changes. The two-minute time out and the horse-collar tackle in the tackle box will get approved, I believe. But, they won't allow the technology rules. They will continue to NOT support letting the clock run on first downs inbounds, and they will not support a change to the uniform and equipment violations enforcement - they'll leave it just as it is.

I disagree that the 2 minute time out would be implemented since the new timing rules were not adopted for the 2023 season. Just would not make sense since the clock is being stopped for all first downs still at the high school level. 

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 02:53:33 PM »
I disagree that the 2 minute time out would be implemented since the new timing rules were not adopted for the 2023 season. Just would not make sense since the clock is being stopped for all first downs still at the high school level.

Your logic is certainly sound, but, since the 2-minute warning would give every team an extra time-out to help with their last-minute (or last 2-minutes) comebacks, I think the coaches will like that prospect, and push for approval. We shall see.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 01:09:56 PM »
I actually like the 2 min warning/TO, but I'd like to see them modify the 10 second runoff rule to align to it (instead of 1 min) for ease of administration and make it easier to remember.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 08:40:14 PM »
I actually like the 2 min warning/TO, but I'd like to see them modify the 10 second runoff rule to align to it (instead of 1 min) for ease of administration and make it easier to remember.

They did. See attached.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2024, 10:56:28 PM »
Proposed Editorial Change

A proposed editorial change would require a player that wears a number other than the one to which he is associated in the “game day roster” to report the number change to the Referee. If he doesn’t report, we are to call a UNS on him. Well, how do we know? John Smith enters the game wearing 79, but he is listed on their roster as 77.  I am fairly certain that game officials have never been presented with “game day rosters.” How would we know Smith from Jones?
I suppose their opponent will recognize this and alert the officials, but that means that the officials will have to be provided with the ‘official’ “game day rosters,” and have them on the field with them (?). Bad rule change. I honestly think the UIL will NOT adopt this editorial change, even if the NCAA PROP adopts it.