Author Topic: Timing, Come on R's, Do Better  (Read 2383 times)

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Timing, Come on R's, Do Better
« on: October 18, 2022, 08:50:06 PM »
Well, I got roped into work the clock for a couple of game this year.  It happens when you retire and they are really desperate for timers.

My gosh, R's some of you are horrible with signals.  Take your time.  Over exaggerate and go SLOWLY.  My biggest issue has been when there is a helmet that comes off a player.  Why do we rush to get the darned ready when the player isn't even off the field?  Three times I had an offensive player with a helmet off and as they stopped the clock, the R is winding it while the player is picking his helmet up off the field.  The offense twice in this situation got a DOG because the R started the play way too early.  Slow the heck down boys.  Watch, wait, and let your wing tell you when he's off BEFORE you give the RFP.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Timing, Come on R's, Do Better
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 06:25:36 AM »
They are influenced by NCAA officials that are under pressure to get their games done within TVs magic window. That’s why you see NCAA referees winding the clock almost immediately after the clock is stopped on first downs or out of bounds (long, long before the ball is spotted and ready for play). Far too many TASO referees follow that lead, almost exclusively in a selfish effort to get the game over with ASAP. If you don’t want to be out there, why are you doing this? For the money? Really?
Respect the players, and manage the clock by rule.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 11:32:47 AM by ElvisLives »

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 08:43:05 AM »
The situation described should be handled like an injury timeout.  Don't start it back up until the player is off the field and his replacement is in place.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 03:26:20 PM »
They are influenced by NCAA officials that are under pressure to get their games done within TVs magic window. That’s why you see NCAA referees winding the clock almost immediately after the clock is stopped on first downs or out of bounds (long, long before the ball is spotted and ready for play). Far too many TASO referees follow that lead, almost exclusively in a selfish effort to get the game over with ASAP. If you don’t want to be out there, why are you doing this? For the money? Really?

For TASO, as well as games played Everywhere else, Official's signals affecting game timing are intended, primarily, for the Game Timer, and should be deliberate, consistent and visual to the Timer, as well as repeated , as necessary until the message being sent is understood.  Not all Timer positions are equally effective, or provide equal views (especially for signals given in front of, or obscured by "Team Bench" areas , where repeating signals by "in-field" Officials can be extremely helpful in conveying the intended message.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 05:09:00 PM »
For TASO, as well as games played Everywhere else, Official's signals affecting game timing are intended, primarily, for the Game Timer, and should be deliberate, consistent and visual to the Timer, as well as repeated , as necessary until the message being sent is understood.  Not all Timer positions are equally effective, or provide equal views (especially for signals given in front of, or obscured by "Team Bench" areas , where repeating signals by "in-field" Officials can be extremely helpful in conveying the intended message.

Al, your post is totally valid. But, what does it have to do with my post regarding when the game clock is re-started?

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 08:28:29 PM »
The situation described should be handled like an injury timeout.  Don't start it back up until the player is off the field and his replacement is in place.

Correct.  Since it was the offensive player that lost a helmet, I get the clock to 25 and started when he wound it.  The O did not have enough time to get the player off and a replacement sent in.  In both cases, the player that lost his helmet had not even picked up the helmet yet.  I was pretty darned fast at winding, but I always allowed the player to get completely off the field.  My wing guys knew to hold a hand up until he cleared then point at me, or verbalize it over the radio.

Offline peterparsons

• FAN REACTION: +10/-0
  • BAFRA/IFAF/ELF official.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 07:24:08 AM »

This year's CFO manual has a bunch of new text around this area (Pg. 122) which states that the signal is given and the game clock started "when the ball is placed on the ground".

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 08:09:19 AM »
This year's CFO manual has a bunch of new text around this area (Pg. 122) which states that the signal is given and the game clock started "when the ball is placed on the ground".

Watch the next major televised NCAA game, and look for when the R starts the game clock after it is stopped to award Team A a new series. They ain't waitin' for the ball to be placed on the ground. And, considering how much Shaw discusses total game time statistics on the weekly videos, you can be sure they are more interested in total game time than almost anything else. Gotta keep TV happy.

If you can attend such a game in person, that's even better, because TV doesn't often show the R performing this duty, whereas you can see him on every down, when in person.

Offline zebrastripes

• FAN REACTION: +9/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 02:08:57 PM »
I contend that there is zero reason to continue stopping the clock on first downs in NCAA football.

I watched an ACC game earlier this year (this is the conference I follow the most) and the R multiple times was winding the game clock while wings were still giving the "stop the clock" signal and before the :40 even started.

Of course, in the last 2:00 of each half all of a sudden he started winding the clock "by the book."

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 02:20:54 PM »
I contend that there is zero reason to continue stopping the clock on first downs in NCAA football.

I watched an ACC game earlier this year (this is the conference I follow the most) and the R multiple times was winding the game clock while wings were still giving the "stop the clock" signal and before the :40 even started.

Of course, in the last 2:00 of each half all of a sudden he started winding the clock "by the book."

Yeah. If the current practice is the accepted methodology, then there is no reason to stop the clock on first downs and out of bounds. But, is that good for the game? I’m not in a position to say, but it surely doesn’t seem so. It would be good for TV, and therein lies the problem.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 02:24:00 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2022, 04:24:46 PM »
Al, your post is totally valid. But, what does it have to do with my post regarding when the game clock is re-started?

Nothing.  I agreed with your observation  and contention about "rushing", and didn't think further comment was necessary.

Offline peterparsons

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 04:00:03 AM »
Watch the next major televised NCAA game, and look for when the R starts the game clock after it is stopped to award Team A a new series. They ain't waitin' for the ball to be placed on the ground. And, considering how much Shaw discusses total game time statistics on the weekly videos, you can be sure they are more interested in total game time than almost anything else. Gotta keep TV happy.

If you can attend such a game in person, that's even better, because TV doesn't often show the R performing this duty, whereas you can see him on every down, when in person.

I'm aware of this. In fact there are Rs here in Great Britain who copy it (as our mechanics don't currently say anything explicit about this, but I'm currently arguing for us to adopt what the CFO have laid down this year - game clock starts when the ball is placed on the ground).

We don't have all the TV and other things, so our games are way shorter anyway. I once had a game where the supervisor thought I should have wound the clock way quicker than I had (I was basically waiting for the ball to be on the ground before winding) and I looked at him with incredulity as the (12-minute quarter) game had lasted 1hr55m!

If it's still happening in the NCAA this season, then I guess the question is whether Rs are aware of the change this year, or whether they (or their supervisors) are aware and they've chosen to (or been told to) ignore it?

Offline TxJim

• FAN REACTION: +18/-21
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2022, 09:47:16 AM »
Correct.  Since it was the offensive player that lost a helmet, I get the clock to 25 and started when he wound it.  The O did not have enough time to get the player off and a replacement sent in.  In both cases, the player that lost his helmet had not even picked up the helmet yet.  I was pretty darned fast at winding, but I always allowed the player to get completely off the field.  My wing guys knew to hold a hand up until he cleared then point at me, or verbalize it over the radio.

Doc, Good points on the wings influence on this. Definitely some situational awareness issues for R and the wings. I've watched games where R rushes the ready for an injured player too. Wings should be very assertive not to allow R to do that. Whether helmet off or a player coming off from an officials' timeout for injury, if it's a player from the team on my sideline, I'm usually off the sidelines until they are off. I'll generally get below the numbers and meet them parallel to their position then walk in trail the player coming off (especially is he is being helped off) so the player gets fully in the team area when we go ready. I say that because I have had an injured player collapse in the white, a situation we need to hold for. Wings can be conspicuous enough so the R sees that the wing isn't in position or the wing can use O2O to alert not to go ready yet. Safety is more important than a few seconds of delay.
Sportsmanship is contagious - Let's have an epidemic!

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2022, 11:38:02 AM »
Safety is more important than a few seconds of delay.

AMEN!

Offline zebrastripes

• FAN REACTION: +9/-11
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2022, 07:47:47 PM »
https://youtu.be/XnW23gov58A

It appears that THE REFEREE didn’t even wait until the ball was ready for play in the final 10 seconds of the first half to wind the game clock.

Edit by EtRef
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 08:41:48 PM by Etref »

Offline peterparsons

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2022, 06:48:04 AM »

It appears that THE REFEREE didn’t even wait until the ball was ready for play in the final 10 seconds of the first half to wind the game clock.

Edit by EtRef

A similar situation made one of the training tapes in recent times. I can see a reinforcement coming out this week, especially given all the content on clocks that was put into the mechanics manual this year.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2022, 08:20:07 AM »

Edit by EtRef

This is on the R.  If we are expected to know when there is less than 2 minutes in a half or less than 1 minutes in the half, there's no less of an expectation that we know the clock situation toward the end of any half and adjust how the clock is wound.  The argument could be that you should do it consistently throughout the game, wait until the ball is set for the U, but I never had an issue winding the clock quickly in situations where that did not affect the game such as shown in the example.  College officials do it all the time. 

Offline peterparsons

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2022, 05:20:55 AM »
The situation made this week's training tape - Play 6.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2022, 05:59:27 AM »
College officials do it all the time.

They are part of big TV packages, and that is the direction they have, to try to keep total game time down to 3 hrs. Those that aren’t parts of big TV packages don’t necessarily have that directive.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2022, 08:50:53 AM »
If TV wants to keep times down that way, they should follow the rules change proposal process. Allow the game clock to not stop for first downs, or else to restart when an official secures the ball. That way, officials do not have to act contrary to the rules for TV's benefit. The officials are not employees of the TV channels, they are independent contractors hired by the conferences.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2022, 09:42:39 AM »
If TV wants to keep times down that way, they should follow the rules change proposal process. Allow the game clock to not stop for first downs, or else to restart when an official secures the ball. That way, officials do not have to act contrary to the rules for TV's benefit. The officials are not employees of the TV channels, they are independent contractors hired by the conferences.

Let’s see… Between conferences, officials, and TV, who has the most money?  Could it be……?