Author Topic: Good teams  (Read 796 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Good teams
« on: November 15, 2022, 07:51:10 AM »
Somewhat out of necessity, as officials, we tend to focus on fouls and other illegal actions in our discussions. You know...'negative' things. Just kind of the nature of the beast.
But, I will say that I have had the pleasure of working two teams in the past few years that break the mold. I don't want to say their names, because I don't want to make anything sound like these teams should get any preferential treatment of any kind, should any of you encounter them in the future. I just want y'all to know that there are some teams out there that are well-coached and well-disciplined. They don't try any funny stuff. Their players play hard between snap and whistle, but stop action when they hear the whistle and just go about their business. No whining. Their coaches may question something, on occasion, but they do so with calm and respectful voices and temperament. (One was even right once!)
They are both very successful, because they keep things relatively simple, and don't try to do more than their players can do. They don't make mistakes. Their foul counts are low. No showboating. Excellent sideline control.
They just simply line up and kick the crap out of their opponents.

What a pleasure it is to work their games.

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Good teams
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 08:47:54 AM »
Sometimes it isn't just the coach.

UIL SUSPENDS MARLIN ISD SUPERINTENDENT   2022-11-15

(MARLIN) A Central Texas school superintendent has been suspended and reprimanded.

The University Interscholastic League State Executive Committee on Monday issued the suspension and reprimanded against Marlin ISD Superintendent Dr. Darryl Henson. The SEC gave Henson a 2-year suspension from sideline access and game administrator duties at school district events after they found he violated Section 51(a)(3) of their policies for School District Personnel. Henson was also given a public reprimand and must serve 2 years of probation. That section in particular involves ejections from contests or for those that get a pair of 15-yard penalties during a contest. Officials confirmed the discipline stems from the Marlin-Crawford football game earlier this year. During that game, there was an issue with the game clock and Henson said he felt like the head coach was being ignored by the referees. Henson then walked onto the field to speak with the head referee and was immediately ejected.

Offline jra104

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Good teams
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 09:04:46 PM »
Refreshing to hear... Most teams will take the gentlemans but whooping.  Its when other teams make is personal when problems occur.  We've played a few both, and always wish the best for the gentleman team and end up building a long term relationship with them that is beneficial to both teams.
Overall the officiating this year is about a B in our area.  Still need some sub varsity guys to really dive into video training and knowing the rules better so they can move up and help on varsity crews.