Author Topic: Game Watch  (Read 30347 times)

Cooter

Game Watch
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:41:22 AM »
I'm moving to Backjudge this year - can anyone recommend a watch/timer that you don't have to be an electrical engineer to use which will count down, not up...

younggun

Re: Game Watch
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »
I am about to buy the Reebok watch from Honigs. It is not in there on line store just in the printed catalogue. It says it is the one the NFL referees use and has functions built right in just for football, such as adding seconds back on to the clock, and a big start and stop button on the face.

Online Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 01:35:18 PM »
Haven't seen the new Reebok, but I like my Casio RFT-100. The only problem is that the start/stop is on the side, not on the face.

younggun

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 03:19:16 PM »
Just called Honigs and they do not have any of the Reebok watches yet, Reebok has not decided if they were going to continue to make them. Does anyone know anything about the Honigs Brand watch they have for sale? Is the Start Stop Button on the watch face or to the side?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:15:47 PM »
Have used Timex Ironman models in the past.  They're easy to find.  Most Walmarts have them.

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 08:58:42 PM »
Many watches have a poor design where the Stop and Reset buttons are the same button!  The only good change is that some Reset functions are only completed by holding down the button.

Offline Bugolathe

• FAN REACTION: +14/-11
  • KSHSAA/Kansas
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 10:34:51 PM »
Have used Timex Ironman models in the past.  They're easy to find.  Most Walmarts have them.
This is what I use.  You can set the timer for a :25 second clock and use the chrono for timeouts.  I've also had good luck using it as a game clock.

younggun

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 12:15:45 AM »
Here is what I use for the 25 second clock. Best thing since slice bread as far as I am concerned.

http://www.ready-ref.com/football_timer.html

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 08:03:26 AM »
A friend of mine is a marathon runner.  He has a device where he can set his running intervals to whatever he wants.  

i.e. interval 1 can be 0:25 (play clock), interval 2 can be 0:45 (timeout notification to R)

Has a nice, big LED display.  It's about 2" x 2" & looks like a pager.

Since running with 10,000 folks at the same time makes quite a racket and every other runner has their own GPS or watch device beeping & chiming, this can beep and/or just vibrate.  It vibrates rather strongly so you can feel it when wearing on your belt.

While it's basically the same as readyref, the advantage here is you can set the intervals yourself where readyref cannot be changed. - this device is much chaeaper too.

Let me check to see what it's called.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:19:42 AM by TampaSteve »

Jason Kramer

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 04:27:30 PM »
http://www.watchesshop.com/watches/casio/rft-100-1ver-gents-chronograph-referee-timer-black-rubber-strap-watch.html?currency_id=3

I've been happy with this one.

Has a countdown timer with up to 9 different intervals you can program. Also has a vibrate feature, so you don't have to be looking at your watch. When I'm at BJ, I set one interval to :20, it buzzes, and I begin doing the final 5 second chopping by hand, and another interval set to :45 for timeout notification. The price at this link seems high, you can probably find better.

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 02:50:25 PM »
http://www.watchesshop.com/watches/casio/rft-100-1ver-gents-chronograph-referee-timer-black-rubber-strap-watch.html?currency_id=3

I've been happy with this one.

Has a countdown timer with up to 9 different intervals you can program. Also has a vibrate feature, so you don't have to be looking at your watch. When I'm at BJ, I set one interval to :20, it buzzes, and I begin doing the final 5 second chopping by hand, and another interval set to :45 for timeout notification. The price at this link seems high, you can probably find better.

That's the watch I use and I love it.
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »
Where can you buy it?  When I googled it, all the hits were from the UK.

The Ref Thats Lef

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 05:07:13 PM »
Well we did invent the postal system and we do accept credit cards so why not buy from the UK? Pretty good exchange rate at present for you guys. Not so good for us going the other way.

Dommer1

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 06:19:20 AM »
I was looking forward to getting the Reebok watch, hope they'll make some more.

Stay away from the Honig's Ultimate Timing Kit. The watch is not suitable for officiating. After a couple of seconds of "inactivity", the watch leaves the timer mode and goes back to displaying the time of day. That means you have to go back to timer mode, and then start the clock on pretty much every play following a clock stoppage. That's a lot of button pressing and watch watching. For football, this is pretty close to useless. I think Honig's is a great company, and I buy pretty much everything from them but I'm disappointed that they even carry this watch  - for football, it's just a waste of money.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 02:31:03 AM »
Where can you buy it?  When I googled it, all the hits were from the UK.

Amazon had it. http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Referee-Sports-Timer-RFT-100-1V/dp/B000PAYMRW

But they are sold out.

I bought this watch several years ago for doing soccer. It works great for soccer. I haven't used it much for football as I usually work umpire.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:36:40 AM by mjteague »

McRef77

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 06:38:18 AM »
I was looking forward to getting the Reebok watch, hope they'll make some more.

Stay away from the Honig's Ultimate Timing Kit. The watch is not suitable for officiating. After a couple of seconds of "inactivity", the watch leaves the timer mode and goes back to displaying the time of day. That means you have to go back to timer mode, and then start the clock on pretty much every play following a clock stoppage. That's a lot of button pressing and watch watching. For football, this is pretty close to useless. I think Honig's is a great company, and I buy pretty much everything from them but I'm disappointed that they even carry this watch  - for football, it's just a waste of money.

Agree with Dommer.  I bought this last year and returned it.  Like he mentioned, I would be starting my watch after a stoppage and thought it was running but it had switched back to the time of day.  Then had to try and catch up.  Lots of button pushing.

McRef77

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
Amazon had it. http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Referee-Sports-Timer-RFT-100-1V/dp/B000PAYMRW

But they are sold out.

I bought this watch several years ago for doing soccer. It works great for soccer. I haven't used it much for football as I usually work umpire.

Amazon has a "watch" feature when if something is unavailable you can "watch" for it and when it becomes available you will be notified.  I've been "watching" for this product, oh I don't know...two years maybe...still unavailable. ???  I wonder if this will ever come back or should they just delete it from their site and stopping teasing us ^flag

Offline Osric Pureheart

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
  • 1373937 or 308?
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 06:52:52 AM »
Casio discontinued the RFT-100 because it was the 2006 World Cup watch and that was a while ago now.  The new model is the W-756, which comes in a number of flavours and looks something like this: http://www.casio.co.uk/Products/Watches/Sports%20Gear/Others/W-756-1AVEF/Technical_Specifications/

Does everything the RFT-100 used to.  Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-W756-1AV-Digital-Sport-Watch/dp/B0013M6BRA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1281095470&sr=8-1

Dommer1

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 07:53:21 AM »
Casio discontinued the RFT-100 because it was the 2006 World Cup watch and that was a while ago now.  The new model is the W-756, which comes in a number of flavours and looks something like this: http://www.casio.co.uk/Products/Watches/Sports%20Gear/Others/W-756-1AVEF/Technical_Specifications/

Does everything the RFT-100 used to.  Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-W756-1AV-Digital-Sport-Watch/dp/B0013M6BRA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1281095470&sr=8-1

There is on MAJOR difference between the RFT-100 and W756, and that is that the W756 does not appear to have the vibrator function. The vibrator function is excellent for when you have to keep the play clock on the field ans you would not have to look away from a potential snap to see the watch, nor did you have to use an acoustic signal which you may not want as you may want to give Team A an extra second or two in some games. This vibrator function was my main reason to buy the RFT-100.

Still hoping for that Reebok watch...

Offline gsrc

• FAN REACTION: +85/-16
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 08:05:45 AM »
I personally think the ready ref is hideous. Way too big. I have both the Casio and the old NFL watch that honigs sold. I like them both. I probably use the casio more because of the vibrating feature, although the NFL watch is much easier to stop and start, I'm not a fan of the buttons on the casio, not easily pressable during a game.

Parallex

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 10:07:40 AM »
http://www.refkit.co.uk/

Casio may have stopped production after the WC in 2006, but there are plenty available in the UK.  Since it's designed for soccer, I doubt many US companies will carry them. 

In stock and ready to ship.  88 bucks US with shipping and currency exchange.  Not cheap, but Refkit is a legit company and you can get one right away.

The reason so many European vendors don't ship international is due to fraud.  The above link is Refkit's alternate site for international ordering.

The countdown timer with vibrating alarm is hard to beat for anyone keeping the play clock on the field.  I love that watch and ordered an extra for "just in case" they do become hard to find. 

If you want to price shop, go to Amazon UK, check the 3rd party suppliers, and inquire whether they have an international order site.

Hope this helps...... 

Shoottv

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 10:20:32 PM »
I also use a soccer watch. the Ultrak-Digi. I've had it for almost 10 years reffing both soccer and football. It has worn like iron. other than a new battery each year it's been great. It has a programable contdown timer. So you can use it for 15, 12 or 8 minute quarters. It also has a count up function that is on the same screen that use for timeouts. Highly recommended for about 40 bucks.

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 02:37:10 AM »
Here is what I use for the 25 second clock. Best thing since slice bread as far as I am concerned.

http://www.ready-ref.com/football_timer.html

Just got mine - couldn't agree more
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Dommer1

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 02:13:41 PM »
Honig's will have the Rebook watch in stock soon, I just ordered mine. Looks pretty good!

http://www.honigs.com/sub/8/F77RBK

The RFT-100 still looks to be the best for play clock timing, but the Rebook watch just might be the best out there for game clock timing.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 02:28:28 PM »
Yikes...I've never been accused of being cheap when it comes to buying officiating equipment but I think I'll just stick with my Timex Ironman.