Author Topic: Touchback with Personal Foul  (Read 3098 times)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Touchback with Personal Foul
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:03:20 PM »
In 2008 this bulletin play came out.  Does anyone know if this is still the correct ruling?

1. Quarterback A12 is roughed after he releases a legal forward pass. Eligible A88 catches
the pass and runs to the B-4, where he fumbles. The ball strikes the goal-line pylon. RULING:
The result of the play is a touchback. The accepted penalty is enforced at the B-4, which is the
end of the run. First and goal for Team A at the B-2. Note that Team B did not have possession at
any time during the down.

Offline timhedge

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 10:05:22 PM »
Yes it is the same. Unfortunately, I believe the Belk bowl crew missed that one tonight.

This was actually on the CFO test this year, as well as 2016 CFO Bi-Weekly quiz 3 (#9):

9. (13%) Second and 15 at the B-30. Quarterback A12 completes a pass to end A88 at the B-20. The referee flags B77 for roughing the passer. A88 fumbles at the B-10. The
ball rolls into the end zone and in the scramble to recover, B55 gains control of the ball as his foot touches the end line.

a. The penalty for B77’s foul is enforced at the B-10.

b. The result of the play is a touchback.

c. The penalty for B77’s foul is enforced at the previous spot.

d. Both a and b are correct.

e. Both b and c are correct.

REFERENCE: 9-1-9
COMMENTS: The penalty is enforced at the end of the last run, which is the spot of the fumble. Note that possession never changes during the down, because B55 is out of bounds when he gets the ball. Thus the result of the play is a touchback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 06:04:40 PM »
Was it really 2008 when the rule was changed to allow tack one for PF before completed passes?  Doesn't seem like it was that long ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Touchback with Personal Foul
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 06:20:42 PM »
At the time of that bulletin it was just RPS that could be tacked on. The rule change allowing all PFs to be tacked on is only about 2 years old.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 07:08:13 PM »
That sounds right. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk