Author Topic: Proposed 'non-extension' of a period  (Read 1155 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Proposed 'non-extension' of a period
« on: April 10, 2023, 11:04:22 AM »
I am not privy to anything other than the NCAA bulletin that announced the proposed rule changes. So, I am wondering about the change to NOT extend the 1st or 3rd periods for a foul. Any exceptions to that? Any option for the offended team?
I can see it now:
State U vs Tech College
4/5, B-25, 0:06 (3), A=9, B=10. During a "defensive struggle," State U (Team A) is facing north, directly into a steady 25 mph wind. A55 snaps the ball to A12, who advances to the right side of the field. A77 holds B55 at the B-25 as A12 advances to the B-10. Time in the period expired during the down.
Following the penalty, the repeat of 4th down will be: 4/15, B-35, 15:00 (4), A=9, B=10, with State U facing south, and with a steady 25 mph at their back. With the aid of the wind, A8 makes a career best place kick that barely, but successfully, passes through the uprights, and over the crossbar, of Team B's goal. State U = 12, Tech College = 10.
Very late in the 4th period, with the same score, Tech College is facing north and into the steady 25 mph wind at the State U 35-yard line. A11 (with a career best 57-yard field goal to his credit) attempts a 52-yard field goal. The wind significantly impedes the ball, which falls to the ground near the end line under the goal in B's end zone before any player can touch it (no score). Time in the 4th period expires during the down, and State U wins, 12-10.
Tech College's coach is furious, because, under 2022 (and prior) rules, 4th down would have been repeated with State U facing into the wind for the down in the 3rd period extended, and State U's field goal attempt would likely have been unsuccessful. And he believes their own field goal attempt as time expired in the 4th period would have been successful, and they would have won the game.

All in the name of TV striving for a 3-hour (maximum) 'real' game time.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 04:06:45 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Proposed 'non-extension' of a period
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 05:16:10 AM »
I would love to see the statistics on how may extended period incidents occur in an NCAA season.  I think that it is a "Hey, look over here" method because shortening halftime and reducing the allotted tv timeouts aren't going to happen.  "Well, see, we tried some measures."

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 08:10:03 AM »
Simple way to shorten the time of a game is to let clock run on incomplete passes, but likely will never happen
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 10:19:44 AM »
Another one:

Ohio State vs. Alabama (National Championship game)
OSU = 21, Bama = 22
OSU in possession, defending the south goal, with a steady 15 mph wind at their back.
4/10, B-25, 0:03 (3). From a SKF, the ball is snapped to holder A1. As A1 is placing the ball on the ground and kicker A11 is advancing to kick the ball, edge rusher B99, who timed his charge perfectly with the snap, very quickly rushes forward, and is about to get around wingback A33 when A33 dives at B99, and blocks B99 at B99's knees, preventing him from having an opportunity to block the field goal attempt. The C flags A33 for the illegal block below the waist. The field goal attempt, assisted by the wind, is successful. Time in the third period expired during the down.
Bama accepts the penalty for the illegal block below the waist, enforced at the previous spot. After changing ends of the field, OSU now has 4/25, B-40, 15:00 (4). Facing the prospect of a field goal attempt of some 57 yards into a 15mph wind, OSU elects to punt, instead of attempting a field goal. The game continues and concludes after each team scores another touchdown. The final score is Bama 29, OSU 28.
The OSU HC - and the big 10 - is furious that they had to change ends of the field after the end of the third period, confident his place kicker could have easily made a wind-aided 57-yard field goal. OSU and the Big 10 blames the NCAA for screwing them out of a National Championship, for the sake of a saving a few seconds of 'real' time by not extending the third period, especially when they allowed half-time to be extended to 25 minutes for Rapper Bling Blong to get more performance time, and every media break ran long by at least 15 seconds.
(But wait, the Big 10 is directly represented on the Rules committee, so they are just blaming themselves!)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 12:01:18 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 12:08:02 PM »
Another one:

Ohio State vs. Alabama (National Championship game)
OSU = 21, Bama = 22
OSU in possession, defending the south goal, with a steady 15 mph wind at their back.
4/10, B-25, 0:03 (3). From a SKF, the ball is snapped to holder A1. As A1 is placing the ball on the ground and kicker A11 is advancing to kick the ball, edge rusher B99, who timed his charge perfectly with the snap, very quickly rushes forward, and is about to get around wingback A33 when A33 dives at B99, and blocks B99 at B99's knees, preventing him from having an opportunity to block the field goal attempt. The C flags A33 for the illegal block below the waist. The field goal attempt, assisted by the wind, is successful. Time in the third period expired during the down.
Bama accepts the penalty for the illegal block below the waist, enforced at the previous spot. After changing ends of the field, OSU now has 4/25, B-40, 15:00 (4). Facing the prospect of a field goal attempt of some 57 yards into a 15mph wind, OSU elects to punt, instead of attempting a field goal. The game continues and concludes after each team scores another touchdown. The final score is Bama 29, OSU 28.
The OSU HC - and the big 10 - is furious that they had to change ends of the field after the end of the third period, confident his place kicker could have easily made a wind-aided 57-yard field goal. OSU and the Big 10 blames the NCAA for screwing them out of a National Championship, for the sake of a saving a few seconds of 'real' time by not extending the third period, especially when they allowed half-time to be extended to 25 minutes for Rapper Bling Blong to get more performance time, and every media break ran long by at least 15 seconds.
(But wait, the Big 10 is directly represented on the Rules committee, so they are just blaming themselves!)

I pity da fool who tries to reduce my viewing time of Bling Blong!!!

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 01:26:07 PM »
I pity da fool who tries to reduce my viewing time of Bling Blong!!!

The truth? I started to use several other silly-sounding names, but, in checking the all-knowing 'Internet,' they were names actually being used! I 'think' I invented "Bling Blong." I should probably copyright it before some shiftless character decides that it is a good name, and makes millions off of it.

Offline lonnieritch1981

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 11:15:57 AM »
Too bad, so sad, Dodad!  We don't make the rules, we just enforce them...most of the time hopefully correctly!  This situation is just a result of the rule change, and we can't do anything about it.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 11:45:35 AM »
I would love to see the statistics on how may extended period incidents occur in an NCAA season.  I think that it is a "Hey, look over here" method because shortening halftime and reducing the allotted tv timeouts aren't going to happen.  "Well, see, we tried some measures."
NFHS modified the untimed down rule in 2014 to include only fouls that occurred AS time expired. I officiate aprox 10 games per year. In aprpx 80 games, an untimed down was needed only once. 'NUFF SAID  8] .