Author Topic: Stadium Field Mics  (Read 3424 times)

Offline theride

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Stadium Field Mics
« on: May 10, 2021, 03:43:40 PM »
Does anyone know how much field mics cost for football fields to transmit over the stadium PA.  Wanting to purchase one for our football field, but just want a very basic model. Does anyone know of a website that sells these with affordable prices.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Stadium Field Mics
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 06:48:10 PM »
Does anyone know how much field mics cost for football fields to transmit over the stadium PA.  Wanting to purchase one for our football field, but just want a very basic model. Does anyone know of a website that sells these with affordable prices.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

I'm no expert, but I think it depends on the brand of PA system you currently have.  If you have wireless handheld microphones for homecoming, graduation, etc, you probably just want to buy one that's the same brand.

Just a few things to note:  If at all possible, make it a lapel microphone and not a headset microphone.  Also, be sure to buy a mute switch in addition to the main pack and make sure the mute switch is a toggle switch and not a push button.  The range will have to be pretty far to get from the press box to the far corners of the field too.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 09:23:50 PM »
Shure seems to be the leading manufacturer that I see.   Most stadiums I work don't use them and some that did have stopped.    BSN has belt pack/mic sets for about $400 but how do you integrate into the PA?  I dunno.  I think you have to have a pretty good antenna system mounted outside the press box to get a quality signal into the PA system.

Not sure this is something that can be done right on the cheap.  If it comes off as half-assed, it probably isn't worth spending the money.

From a HS officials perspective, I don't think we really give a rip about dealing with it.   Its just something that alters the norm and slows us down getting off the field at the end of the game.   The coaches can't hear it usually so it serves no purpose for them.  High school stadium PA quality varies widely so depending on how good the system is, fans may not even hear it or pay attention.

Is there some other need that the money could be spent better?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 09:54:59 PM »
If you use a mic for awhile you sure miss the places that do not have one. It is always great to give a signal, say what the foul is while the PA guy has called your preliminary signal something else.  FlAg1
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 07:40:58 AM »
If you use a mic for awhile you sure miss the places that do not have one. It is always great to give a signal, say what the foul is while the PA guy has called your preliminary signal something else.  FlAg1

That happened at one of our games, PA called holding then referee signaled and announced block in the back...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 10:45:03 AM »
Yeah, it isn’t just the cost of the microphone, interruptor switch, transmitter, and receiver, which - other than Telex - are really quite affordable. The field mic system has to connect to the PA system, and many existing PA systems may not be able to accommodate the microphone system. If not, then the school would need to procure a whole new PA system, and not many are willing to do that just to have referee announcements.
But, a field mic is immensely valuable, to explain happenings on the field, re-set the game clock, etc. I wish every stadium had one.
Don’t try to remove the field mic before you get off the field. Get to your dressing room, and remove it there, whether the operations guy likes it or not.

Avoid the over-ear mounted microphones. I bought my own lapel microphone and interruptor switch, to avoid using the over-ear mics. About $75. Unfortunately, the pin connections on mics vary with manufacturers, so it only works with Shure systems. Might work with Telex (Electro Voice) systems, too - just haven’t had the opportunity to try it with a Telex system, yet.
The other issue is having an interruptor switch (also called a mute switch). Too many schools give us a belt mounted body pack transmitter, intended for use by a lecturer or speaker, with just a tiny mute switch on the body pack. Not good. You simply must have a separate belt-mounted interruptor switch. Telex are the best, with a true toggle switch. But, as I have, the other type is a Shure push-button type switch. Not quite as tactile as the toggle switch, but works just fine.

Yes, it takes a bit of practice to effectively make announcements. Don’t be afraid of it. Listen to NFL and NCAA guys on TV for how they make their announcements. Emulate the guys that are smooth, and don’t stumble with words.
You can do it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 03:08:11 PM by ElvisLives »

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 11:29:11 AM »
And to answer the original question more directly, a Shure QLXD14/93 Digital Wireless Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone System is about $1,100. You plug it into a PA system with a 1/4" instrument plug (although I am sure that adapters are made for most any type of input jack needed). For Electro Voice Telex system, probably in excess of $2,500.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 03:06:25 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline FrankEdmunds

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 09:13:48 AM »
Oh, very expensive that. Can you still offer more accessible options!?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:22:21 PM by FrankEdmunds »

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 11:37:33 AM »
Oh, very expensive that. Can you still offer more accessible options?

No, I can't. I'm not sure it gets much, if any, cheaper. You will need to talk to a true A/V vendor to get any other options.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 09:03:36 AM »
 Not trying to be sarcastic or cute,  but when you’re dealing with electronics and communication, you really do get what you pay for. You might find something really cheap out there, but I guarantee you wouldn’t be satisfied with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk