Author Topic: Ethical question  (Read 4170 times)

AFSST

Ethical question
« on: August 25, 2012, 07:47:51 AM »
I'm new to this web site and appreciate the professional discussion/banter among officials.  So I figured it would be safe to post this "ethical" question for your opinion.  This has nothing to do with us as officials, but with what you would hypothetically do as a head coach:

There are a few seconds left in the game, and your team is behind 20-19.  It's fourth down on the 3 yard line, and your team lining up to kick a "game winning" field goal.  The attempted FG is blocked and as the ball is loose on the field, an unnamed official (not from any of our associations of course) sounds his whistle.  So we have an IW, and by rule, you now have a second attempt at the game winning FG.

So here's my dilemma if I'm the head coach.  The opposing team "accomplished" their goal to win the game by blocking the kick.  However, the IW gives me a second chance.  It is within the rules to line up and kick the FG?  Absolutely!  Officials are part of the game, just like baseball officials who many miss a ball/strike call behind the plate or safe/out call on the bases.  However, is this truly the "right thing" to do?  Could I possibly teach my players a greater life lesson by having my QB take a knee to end the game?  (Should Colorado have vacated their "5th down" win against Missouri in their 1990 national championship season?)

(In soccer, if a player is hurt and that team kicks the ball OOB to stop play, most of the time the team with the throw-in will toss the ball to the opponent to start play.  An we've probably heard of the softball players that carried an opponent around the bases after a game winning home run.  Is this similar?) 

My opinion: In the few seconds between the IW and the RFP to replay the down, I'd have to consider my decision...not enough time to fully explore all angles.  But I think I might call time out and talk with my team about an opportunity to show some extraordinary sportsmanship by taking a knee.  I know most parents would be screaming for my head!! 

mbyron

Re: Ethical question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 08:35:21 AM »
I think you might be misdescribing the choice the coach will confront. By rule, the down MUST be replayed. So the question is more properly put as a choice between:

1. Take a knee because the initial chance to kick the FG was foiled, or
2. Rekick

I'm trying to see how 1 is more honorable, ethical, in the spirit of the game or whatever, but I'm just not seeing it. It seems to be more a failure to compete, play to the last down, and do everything permitted by rule to win.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »
I don't know how you cannot see that.  The defense did their job and stopped the score.  The Offense has another opportunity to win the game due to an officials error.  I'm not sure a coach would ever do that, but that would be cool if he did.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »
This exact thing happened in PA - WPIAL semi final a few years back and game was tied at the end of regulation.  FG blocked, IW sounded.  Crew owned up to it and had them rekick.  Thankfully the kicker missed the field goal, but wouldn't that make you sick as the official if he made it?

Offline zhntr

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
Who's to say that A doesn't pick up the loose ball after the block and run it in for a touchdown? There's a reason why the rule makers decided that the down must be replayed by rule.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »
Who's to say that A doesn't pick up the loose ball after the block and run it in for a touchdown? There's a reason why the rule makers decided that the down must be replayed by rule.
EXACTLY!!!   Lots of things could have happened before the ball was legitimately dead.  The coach has NO ethical dilemma in my mind.  He lines the team up and tries again.  If an official rules a runner did not step out of bounds on a long run and gives the TD should the coach not accept it because he thinks his kid DID step out?

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 07:52:38 PM »
Plus, who's to say that the block wasn't the result of an unseen or uncalled foul by the defense?  I think you're making too much out of this.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 08:32:21 AM »
Following IW, clock is on the ready. - just saying.