Author Topic: Touchback Question  (Read 2914 times)

Hkeeler

Touchback Question
« on: August 24, 2012, 12:55:11 PM »
Had this happen last night and I cannot find it in the rule book or case book.

K punts and no R player is in the area to recieve so K catches and controls the ball at the one but his momentum carries him into the end zone.  Touchback or is ball on the one?  The momentum exception does not seem to apply since it refers to R players and not K players.  Your thoughts and help appreciated.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Touchback Question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 01:38:14 PM »
 See 6-2-4-  "Any K player may catch or recover a scrimmage kick while it is beyond the neutral zone or the expanded neutral zone",....... "Such catch or recovery by K beyond the neutral zone causes the ball to become dead. "

Ball is dead when K possessed it.  IF he had possession, then he carried a dead ball across the goal line.

mbyron

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »
See 6-2-4-  "Any K player may catch or recover a scrimmage kick while it is beyond the neutral zone or the expanded neutral zone",....... "Such catch or recovery by K beyond the neutral zone causes the ball to become dead. "

Ball is dead when K possessed it.  IF he had possession, then he carried a dead ball across the goal line.
Yep. And if he touched it upfield of where he possessed it, R would have the option to take it at the spot of first touching. 6-2-5

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »
In NCAA, team B's ball at B-1. I think in NFL this is a touchback.

Offline Amir

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • BAFRA member
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 05:28:00 AM »
In NCAA rules, the momentum rule only applies when a player is heading into their own endzone when they recover the ball (i.e. when there's a chance of a safety).
Now look, you know different people think about life in different ways. Lawyers think life is a big court room, doctors probably think life is like a big operation, and bus drivers think life is... er... a big bus I guess, who knows what the hell those guys think. Anyway, I've always thought of life as a big football game...

Offline golfingref

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »
Federation rules, R's ball at the 1. Had this happen last year.