Author Topic: Please explain the 3 and 1 enforcement principle to me. Test question inside.  (Read 5923 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Fatso

  • *
  • Posts: 341
  • FAN REACTION: +11/-100
  • Hey ref, call it both ways.......
Question from my association test:

A66 and A67 simultaneously block B95 with A66 above the waist and A67 below the waist. Is this a foul? And if so, what is the foul and enforcement?

a. Yes, Chop Block, 15 yds under 3 and 1 enforcement
b. Yes, Chop Block, 15 yds previous spot
c. No foul

Offline riffraft

  • *
  • Posts: 346
  • FAN REACTION: +19/-19
I haven't heard it called the 3 and 1 enforcement, so I assume that is the same as "all but one"

This means that all but one type of foul is enforced from the basic spot.

The basic sport for enforcement is
Loose ball play - the previous sport
Run play - The end of the run
Dead Ball - The succeeding sport.

So every foul but one is enforced from the basic sport.  The exception is a foul by A behind the basic spot, there the foul would be enforced from the spot of the foul.   

So you determine the basic sport based on the type of play and then look at where any foul by A occured and determine if it is the "one".

Offline Fatso

  • *
  • Posts: 341
  • FAN REACTION: +11/-100
  • Hey ref, call it both ways.......
I just spoke to a ref from our association.  I think it's similar to all but one but with and extra part.  Hopefully I write this correctly....  He described an example of a scrimmage kick where R foul occurs at R40, kick ends at R35, and the subsequent run ends at R30.  Enforcement is from R30 since that's the most penal of the three.  As I'm typing I realize I'm not clear on it....  because wouldn't a passing play have the same elements (spot of foul, spot where loose ball ends if caught/previous spot if incomplete, end of run).... 

maybe I should just delete this question...  hEaDbAnG

Offline dammitbobby

  • *
  • Posts: 1785
  • FAN REACTION: +40/-12
  • Exceed the standard... or don't do the job
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 02:10:17 PM by dammitbobby »

Offline HLinNC

  • *
  • Posts: 3491
  • FAN REACTION: +133/-24
All fouls are enforced from the basic spot but one.  The one- a foul behind the basic spot by the team in possession.

Offline bossman72

  • *
  • Posts: 2376
  • FAN REACTION: +312/-29
I just spoke to a ref from our association.  I think it's similar to all but one but with and extra part.  Hopefully I write this correctly....  He described an example of a scrimmage kick where R foul occurs at R40, kick ends at R35, and the subsequent run ends at R30.  Enforcement is from R30 since that's the most penal of the three.  As I'm typing I realize I'm not clear on it....  because wouldn't a passing play have the same elements (spot of foul, spot where loose ball ends if caught/previous spot if incomplete, end of run).... 

maybe I should just delete this question...  hEaDbAnG


3 and 1 is from the NCAA book. If you live in Texas, you work NCAA rules.

All but one is from the NFHS book.  Here is a guide to help you on penalty enforcement in NFHS:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OZnNQj7o-fX6lM5I0s3_n2HTD7hBHgegIZI1ZarEtDQ/edit?usp=sharing

Offline Fatso

  • *
  • Posts: 341
  • FAN REACTION: +11/-100
  • Hey ref, call it both ways.......
I haven't heard it called the 3 and 1 enforcement, so I assume that is the same as "all but one"

This means that all but one type of foul is enforced from the basic spot.
I got clarification last night and you are correct, it's the same thing as all but one just different terminology.  Sorry for the useless thread. Thanks for your replies.