Author Topic: Fake Field Goal  (Read 640 times)

Offline animalspooker

• FAN REACTION: +1/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Fake Field Goal
« on: November 11, 2022, 02:05:37 PM »
Am I the only one? Been doing this for 28 years and I see referees let holders pitch the ball without rising off of their knee or knees.  Did I miss something?  I thought this created a dead ball immediately, no two points.  Has something changed?

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Fake Field Goal
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 02:32:21 PM »
Nope, refreference case 4.2.2A . 

CAUTION : The holder needs to have a knee on the ground prior to the snap to be considered a scrimmage kick formation which comes with snapper roughing protection and numbering exception (2-14-2a).

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
Re: Fake Field Goal
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 03:25:27 PM »
Am I the only one? Been doing this for 28 years and I see referees let holders pitch the ball without rising off of their knee or knees.  Did I miss something?  I thought this created a dead ball immediately, no two points.  Has something changed?

It's a misapplication of the rule. Sometimes, what we see on Saturday is allowed on Friday...even if it ain't a rule. This is why I don't try to memorize the college rules. No need to since I don't officiate that level.

Perfect example: 4/3 @ R22. Field goal attempt is no good but breaks the goal line. Ball was spotted at the 22 for the new series? Say it ain't so, Joe
If you didn't see it, you can't call it