Author Topic: Remembering the Vets......  (Read 4772 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +325/-27
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Remembering the Vets......
« on: November 11, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
The Veterans Day Parade will be passing by shortly and a special memory of a veteran from our chapter is rekindled. Several years ago Jeff's National Guard unit was activated and deployed to Iraq . During the season we kept in touch with Jeff via Email and his wife, Lori. We invited Lori to our annual "Referee's Prom" -a banquet night with the wives, where we gave her a doz. roses. She in turn brought a lifesize poster of Jeff that the military supplies to families with children (they had a 6 yr old girl). We all toasted Jeff's poster and asked Lori to inform us when his troop plane was scheduled to return. On a cold, snowy February worknight, Lori called . Jeff's unit was returning at midnight!!! A "telephone tree" had been arranged, calls were made, cars were shoveled off AND at midnight 23 chapter members (we had approx 35 at the time) had gathered at the airport!!! Jeff was overwhelmed with our response. The following season, Jeff was back on  the field with us. Coaches' votes play an important part of choosing officials for the championship games and Jeff was chosen to work his first championship game with a huge coach support. The Maine Principals' Association supplies 7 balls for each game with three going to each team and one to the officials. We then usually have a raffle for the ball, but there was to be no raffle that day as Jeff's crewmates (none from our chapter) all voted to give the ball to Jeff. I took a moment before posting this to call Jeff and thank him for serving his country. Thank you for taking time to read this and please take the time to call a vet and thank him/her.....God Bless America :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:58:20 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Rulesman

• The Keeper of the Keys
  • Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +328/-243
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Remembering the Vets......
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 08:55:41 AM »
+1,000  :thumbup
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Etref

• FAN REACTION: +60/-22
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »
 :bOW to all our our Veterans
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +70/-25
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 10:26:31 AM »
Words are insufficient, but I'm adding mine anyway -- THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!   FlAg1

Offline george7244

• FAN REACTION: +5/-14
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 10:28:42 AM »
God bless all the vets

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +81/-12
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »
Amen.  Words cannot express my gratitude to those who have sacrificed their time, and in too many cases their lives, so that we can do what we do.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +65/-13
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 03:23:13 PM »
 To all our vets- FlAg1  tiphat:  :bOW :patrioticon: ^good sNiCkErS

Ralph, the NCHSAA gives each championship official an autograph ball replica of the official game ball (Wilson).  It is stamped with the state logo and year.  Might be something to look into.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 07:20:42 AM »
To all our vets- FlAg1  tiphat:  :bOW :patrioticon: ^good sNiCkErS

Ralph, the NCHSAA gives each championship official an autograph ball replica of the official game ball (Wilson).  It is stamped with the state logo and year.  Might be something to look into.
HL - The MPA supplies one ball per game along with programs for all officials (13, as we have 4 for chain crew & 2 for clock) who then get everyone to sign. Our Maine Football Officials Assoc. gives personal coffee mugs to each field official that has name, position, date and class level.`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 11:41:25 AM »
With tomorrow being Veterans Day, I wanted to bring back a topic from yesteryear..... :please take a moment to phone and thank a Vet tomorrow, I plan to again call Jeff from the OP.... :patrioticon:. Please spend a few minutes and watch your local parade go by,please remove your hat each time Ole' Glory passes (a lost art)...... :patrioticon: Please say a silent prayer for all the Vets that served and the many that paid the ultimate sacrifice...... :patrioticon: Please be thankful for being an American  :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon:

(See guys, I'm not totally demented :)) :patrioticon:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:45:44 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 08:34:53 AM »
Rekindling a prior message, please take a moment tomorrow to call and thank a vet, and thank you if you are also a vet. We owe them / you a lot. Please give them a moment of thanks....

:patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon:

THANK YOU, VETERANS

GOD BLESS THE USA.....

Offline Rulesman

• The Keeper of the Keys
  • Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +328/-243
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 09:37:28 AM »
 :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon:
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +16/-244
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »
While we're at it, I'll thank the vets from both my adopted country, and my home country. My dad gave four years of his life to the Royal Canadian Air Force.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 08:05:27 AM »
Once again it's the day to thank our veterans. Please take a moment to phone and thank a veteran. Then have a moment of reflection for those brave veterans that are no longer with us. Please take a moment to phone a family member and share memories of your family members that bravely fought for our beloved country. The Veterans Day Parade will be passing in front of my office soon (that's why I'm in today) and I'll be on the sidewalk as Ole' Glory :patrioticon: and the proud, brave remaining veterans march by. I'll be reminiscing of my days as a "micro-bopper" standing pradeside with my grandfather (WW I- Doughboy), my dad (WW II-PT boat) and uncle (WW II -101st Airborne). I was taught back then to remove my hat as Ole' Glory passed (small parade flags excluded) and continue that today. My hat today reads : "Make America Great Again". IMHO, today we are neither Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, Greens, Whigs or whatever; we are Americans and lets stand proud....

GOD BLESS OUR BRAVE VETERANS :patrioticon: :patrioticon:
GOD BLESS AMERICA :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon:

The color purple is the mix of red and blue...remember election night.

:patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon:

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 08:14:34 AM »
FOR TOMMORROW....

FOR THE VETS....

THANK YOU!!!

:patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon:(7-MAN CREW)

Offline GA Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +12/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »
 tiphat: :bOW :patrioticon: