Author Topic: Another coach gone wild  (Read 5333 times)

StudyingFutureZebra

Another coach gone wild
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:00:04 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0U3lLnpIVwI

Jim Boeheim goes nuts over an offensive foul that costs his team the game. Thoughts on the call? I say they got it right. The defender's feet were set.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Another coach gone wild
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 09:59:54 PM »
Looks like a charge to me. Easy call. Easier call was showing Boeheim the door. Textbook case of a coach ejecting himself.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 10:12:53 PM »
I think it was a right call even with the rule change this year. I don't have him starting his upward motion until after the defender obtained legal guarding position.

StudyingFutureZebra

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 11:52:49 PM »
"Oh no, he has a RIGHT to scream there! Don't end the game like this!"

This is not hockey, you don't get to scream. Basketball officials seem to not take any crap from anybody. It seems football officials can take the heat a bit more, but the hockey officials at the games I've been to take so much from the coaches and I've never seen them call a bench penalty for anything other than too many men on the ice. Not sure why though.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 09:31:28 AM »
What's your issue if you think the call was right?

While we may all agree coaches have a right to argue, they DO NOT have a right to do it from the top of the circle. Boeheim is a Hall of Fame coach and HE chose to end the game like that. C.J. Fair was quoted as disagreeing with his coach's reaction - something to the effect of "Even if the call was wrong, we were only down by two... they make 3 of 4 (free throws)... we lose by six... you do the math."

Given Boeheim's comments in the post-game press conference ("I just thought that was the worst call of the year, that's all..."), don't be surprised if the ACC doesn't hammer him, too.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:35:02 AM by Rulesman »
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

StudyingFutureZebra

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 05:56:35 PM »
I just wanted an opinion on the charge. I'm trying to learn basketball as well. I would do hockey, but aside from knowing the rules, you also have to know how to skate, which I don't.

jannugimes

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 06:09:33 PM »
A charge is a charge, and with the "new" rule, it's gonna be called differently almost every single time. That was a charge.