Author Topic: Defensive Holding succeeding spot enforcement in the Super Bowl.  (Read 9085 times)

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
1st and 10 at NE 38   (6:44) (Shotgun) R.Wilson scrambles left end to NE 23 for 15 yards (D.McCourty). PENALTY on NE-B.Browner, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at NE 23.       

Is it typical for defensive holding in the NFL be a succeeding spot?  I've seen defensive holding declined after a successful first down. I don't remember seeing one added to the end of the run.

In NCAA and NFHS it is previous spot enforcement.
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Defensive Holding succeeding spot enforcement in the Super Bowl.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »
I don't know about NFHS or NFL, but in NCAA this would be enforced from the end if the run. It's a basic spot foul during a running play by the team not in possession. Enforce from the basic spot which is the end of the run. It would not be an automatic first down however. It is only an auto 1st if it's during a pass play and the pass crosses the neutral zone.

Offline bkdow

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 12:38:17 PM »
I don't know about NFHS or NFL, but in NCAA this would be enforced from the end if the run. It's a basic spot foul during a running play by the team not in possession. Enforce from the basic spot which is the end of the run. It would not be an automatic first down however. It is only an auto 1st if it's during a pass play and the pass crosses the neutral zone.

I based my original question on this AR:
Use of Hands or Arms by Defense—ARTICLE 4
Approved Ruling 9-3-4
I. Before a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is thrown, Team B holds eligible A1, who is beyond the neutral zone. RULING: Team B foul, holding. Penalty—10 yards and first down, previous-spot enforcement.

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »
That AR involves a pass being thrown. "Before a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is thrown". So there's a hold and then a pass. That makes it previous spot enforcement. The original play did not have a pass so it is enforced from the end of the run since the run ended beyond the neutral zone.

Offline bkdow

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 12:51:40 PM »
Ah, got it now!  Because it was a running play and the run ended beyond the spot of the foul, the basic spot is the end of the run. Thank you!

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 01:35:55 PM »
Ah, got it now!  Because it was a running play and the run ended beyond the spot of the foul, the basic spot is the end of the run. Thank you!

Just to nitpick, the location of the foul in relation to the end of the run does not matter in this case. The basic spot is always the end of the run for fouls by the team not in possession.

Offline bkdow

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »
Just to nitpick, the location of the foul in relation to the end of the run does not matter in this case. The basic spot is always the end of the run for fouls by the team not in possession.

I'm not claiming to be an NCAA rules guru yet.  Rule 10, Sec 2, Article 2, d.1.(a) says Basic spots for Running plays "Previous spot when the related run ends behind the neutral zone."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:01:52 AM by bkdow »

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Defensive Holding succeeding spot enforcement in the Super Bowl.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 05:06:24 PM »
That's correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:08:11 PM by TxSkyBolt »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 09:41:59 AM »
There was another unusual enforcement in the Super Bowl. Remember this....
 3rd Qtr - Pat's ball 2nd & 10 @ their 40...pass complete in backfield...OPI  ^flag downfield...receiver goes to their 49....OPI enforced from there, making it 2nd & 11 @ Pat's 39 ??? ??? ??? I understand the difference in codes may include passes that are completed behind LOS :o but why succeeding spot enforcement ??? ??? . If the Patriot had taken the ball to Seattle's 5, would the enforcement have been from there.
               I was happy with the ensuing drive yEs:
               I was happy with the ending of the game yEs:
        Whoops ;), I promised not to talk about... :-X

GO RED SOX aWaRd

Offline bkdow

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 01:15:46 PM »
There was another unusual enforcement in the Super Bowl. Remember this....
 3rd Qtr - Pat's ball 2nd & 10 @ their 40...pass complete in backfield...OPI  ^flag downfield...receiver goes to their 49....OPI enforced from there, making it 2nd & 11 @ Pat's 39 ??? ??? ??? I understand the difference in codes may include passes that are completed behind LOS :o but why succeeding spot enforcement ??? ??? . If the Patriot had taken the ball to Seattle's 5, would the enforcement have been from there.
               I was happy with the ensuing drive yEs:
               I was happy with the ending of the game yEs:
        Whoops ;), I promised not to talk about... :-X

GO RED SOX aWaRd
That one confused me too.  Different code because it would not have have been OPI in NFHS because the pass was completed behind the LOS.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 10:24:06 AM »
Agreed, I understand the code differences on OPI, but succeeding spot enforcement had no rationale. The OPI may have provided the receiver with the ability to gain more yards. That wouldn't make any sense...but neither did the water bird's (Seahawk's) last play call ??? ::) :P :o 8]

Offline APG

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 07:48:47 PM »
Looking at the official play by play, there was only one OPI the entire game:

4th quarter: 2-1-SEA 42 (4:55) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short right to S.Vereen to SEA 36 for 6 yards (B.Maxwell).

PENALTY on NE-D.Amendola, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at SEA 42 - No Play.

There's nothing wrong about that enforcement...from the previous spot. Next play was 2nd and 11 from the NE 48.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:02:08 PM by APG »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 07:47:18 AM »
WHOOPS :o...After further review by the replay official (watching the recorded game over again), I spotted my error in memory. ::) While watching the game live (at a Super Bowl party, of course), I thought it was 2nd & 10 when the completed pass took it to 3rd &1....it was really 2nd & 1 when the pass &  ^flag was thrown pi1eOn. Thanks, APG for correcting my warped memory. As one often reads in the police reports: "Alcohol was a contributing factor" :!#