Author Topic: NFL Coin Toss  (Read 7836 times)

will27

NFL Coin Toss
« on: December 28, 2015, 04:09:06 AM »
Can someone give an overview of the current NFL coin toss rules and how they differ from the pre-2008 rules.

Thanks.

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
Re: NFL Coin Toss
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 06:24:30 PM »
The Rules are:

"ARTICLE 2. TOSS OF COIN
Not more than three minutes before the kickoff of the first half, the Referee, in the presence of both team’s captains (limit of six per team, active, inactive or honorary) shall toss a coin at the center of the field. Prior to the Referee’s toss, the call of “heads” or “tails” must be made by the captain of the visiting team, or by the captain designated by the Referee if there is no home team. Unless the winner of the toss defers his choice to the second half, he must choose one of two privileges, and the loser is given the other. The two privileges are:

The opportunity to receive the kickoff, or to kick off
The choice of goal his team will defend.
Penalty: For failure to comply: Loss of coin-toss option for both halves and overtime, and loss of 15 yards from the spot of the kickoff for the first half only.

For the second half, the captain who lost the pregame toss is to have the first choice of the two privileges listed in (a) or (b), unless one of the teams lost its first and second half options, or unless the winner of the pregame toss deferred his choice to the second half, in which case he must choose (a) or (b) above. Immediately prior to the start of the second half, the captains of both teams must inform the Referee of their respective choices.

A captain’s first choice from any alternative privileges listed above is final and not subject to change."

------------

Can't comment on how they changed, sorry.

I assumed by the title of the thread that we would be talking about the Patriots fiasco!

will27

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »
I assume that's what Belichick wanted, although it seemed strange. He has been known to do some "outside the box" stuff.

Usually a decision like that is based on weather/wind factors. Here was where the mistake was made. To choose direction, Slater had to defer, not choose to kick. If the Jets chose to receive, the Patriots would then have the choice of which end to defend.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 08:10:10 PM »
To choose direction, Slater had to defer, not choose to kick.
Defer in overtime? I don't believe so.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 12:56:23 AM »
I can't see a specific mention of it in relation to regular season overtime (edit: obvious really now I've had a coffee and the brain kicked in as there isn't another kick off!), however the rules for postseason overtime say ..

" the captain who lost the coin toss prior to the first overtime period shall have the first choice of the two privileges in 4-2-2, unless the team that won the coin toss deferred."

4-2-2 is what I quoted in my first reply.  So looks like you could defer.

I don't think 4-2-2 is particularly well worded as says there are only two options for the captain..

"a. The opportunity to receive the kickoff, or to kick off
b. The choice of goal his team will defend."

Then in a later paragraph goes on to say...

"For the second half, the captain who lost the pregame toss is to have the first choice of the two privileges listed in (a) or (b), unless one of the teams lost its first and second half options, or unless the winner of the pregame toss deferred his choice to the second half"

NCAA is better worded and lists defer as the third option.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:26:35 AM by goodgrr »

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 02:13:37 PM »
I assume that's what Belichick wanted, although it seemed strange. He has been known to do some "outside the box" stuff.

Usually a decision like that is based on weather/wind factors. Here was where the mistake was made. To choose direction, Slater had to defer, not choose to kick. If the Jets chose to receive, the Patriots would then have the choice of which end to defend.

Actually, all he needed to do was pick his end of the field. Then the Jets would have had the remaining option (kick or receive). There is no "defer" in overtime.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 10:06:07 AM »
Was field wind a factor (I was in sunny Florida & that WASN'T the game of the week :))? I assume Coach B was attempting to circumvent the OT rule where a FG on first possession doesn't win. If they had pinned the Jets deep and with the leg of their kicker, a FG from a FK after a FC would be in the realm of possibilities. Problem : they didn't pin the Jets...the Jets pinned them :( :-\ :P....

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 11:30:04 AM »
Nobody has yet pointed out the "how the rule changed in 2008" -- they added the "defer" option at that point. This means that the regular season OT coin toss is essentially the pre-2008 rule still, since there's nothing to "defer" to in regular season OT. Prior to 2008, winning the toss meant (effectively) you got the ball first, because otherwise you'd kick twice.

Was field wind a factor (I was in sunny Florida & that WASN'T the game of the week :))? I assume Coach B was attempting to circumvent the OT rule where a FG on first possession doesn't win. If they had pinned the Jets deep and with the leg of their kicker, a FG from a FK after a FC would be in the realm of possibilities. Problem : they didn't pin the Jets...the Jets pinned them :( :-\ :P....

As far as I can tell, weather was not a factor (at least, not a serious factor). I agree that Belichek just outplayed himself in devising an OT strategy.

The "screw up" was that Slater was told to defend a goal, but said "We'll kick that way"... and since "We'll kick" came before the direction, that was his choice. However, it wasn't THAT much of a screw up on his part since the weather wasn't a big issue.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 09:59:13 AM »
In my murky daze of youth I seem to recall Abadner Hayes of the ole' AFL messing up an OT choice in a championship game. Can anyone verify that or was it just a bad dream :-\???

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 03:16:31 PM »
In my murky daze of youth I seem to recall Abadner Hayes of the ole' AFL messing up an OT choice in a championship game. Can anyone verify that or was it just a bad dream :-\???

It happened, with video evidence, including Jack Buck sticking a microphone in his face to document it. He said "We'll kick to the clock" in much the same gaffe.

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 04:10:33 PM »
Nobody has yet pointed out the "how the rule changed in 2008" -- they added the "defer" option at that point. This means that the regular season OT coin toss is essentially the pre-2008 rule still, since there's nothing to "defer" to in regular season OT. Prior to 2008, winning the toss meant (effectively) you got the ball first, because otherwise you'd kick twice.

Semi Pro, Coin Toss. "Captain you have won the toss, what is your choice? "We would like to defer" "Your choices are Kick, receive or choose a goal to defend." "We want to defer" "That is not your choice" Looking at me "Ray, tell the coach about the problem we have here."

Telling the coach "But we want to defer"
Me "It's not a choice maybe next year."
Coach  "We have to wait a year?"
Me "Forget next year. Receive, then I don't have to explain why you are kicking off in the second half too."
Coach "OK"
Back at Midfield Me "Tim, They want to receive."