Author Topic: Radios  (Read 11529 times)

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Radios
« on: September 06, 2016, 02:19:33 PM »
Just curious, how many crews are using radios.  We have been and really like what they have to offer.  Anyone else?

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
Re: Radios
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 04:51:18 PM »
What were the inexpensive radios you identified? Or were you still looking into them?

I'd buy a set for my guys today if I could keep them under 50 a piece.

Offline saumpire75

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 07:15:37 PM »
TexDoc, What brand are you using? We are looking at getting some for our crew, but the only approved ones seem to be Yapalong.

Offline RD88

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 10:59:06 PM »
We're using Yapalong 4000's and we like them.  One has to get accustomed but its not distracting as I thought it would.       z^

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 11:51:28 AM »
We're using Yapalong 4000's and we like them.  One has to get accustomed but its not distracting as I thought it would.       z^

How much did they cost per unit?

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 02:39:45 PM »
We have Moto 1020.  I'll see if I can find the approved list.  They need to take a long look at the requirements and hopefully rewrite the policy.  The CUSA crew that came to the Alamodome this last Saturday were using cheap FRS Midland radios, about $20 apiece.  If a D1 college crew can use those, I'm not sure why Texas high school guys couldn't.

The less expensive radios I found were not approved by TASO, although they met every requirement but full-duplex, essentially making the radio function just like a telephone, two way communication at the same time.  These little radios won't even let you transmit if someone else is talking so full-duplex is unnecessary.  Radios really add a new dynamic to communication, making it immediate, clear, hopefully concise, and without having to run around all over the place to get numbers and explanations.  It speeds the game up for sure. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:43:56 PM by TexDoc »

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 02:42:08 PM »
Here's the message I received from Rodney McLain back in the spring, re: approved radios.  Don't choke on the price.
----------------------------
Greg,

Here are the radios that have been approved so far:
Yapalong 4000-AM
Vokkero Evo 3
Motorola DTR 410/550/650
Motorola DLR 1020
I look forward to hearing your ideas. The Mechanics Committee will be meeting soon to discuss possible changes that will be presented to the board February 26.

Rod

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 02:43:44 PM »
How much did they cost per unit?
Google says:

Set of 4 Yapalong 4000 runs about $1600. That's a lot of game fees, even in Texas.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 02:45:18 PM »
You can buy the Moto's separately.  If you hunt around, you can get them about $200 to $250 each, or used on ebay for much cheap (for the 410 model).  Yep, very expensive.  That's why they need to change the policy.  They are just cost prohibitive.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 02:46:38 PM »

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 03:33:07 PM »
We bought 7 yappers at the discounted price of $2,100

Offline zoom

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 05:22:52 PM »
Wow, I can't imagine paying that much.  $300 per?  What is that, like 3 game fees per official?

Offline TxSkyBolt

Radios
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 06:45:42 PM »
It's a ridiculous set of requirements TASO has imposed. Take away the full duplex requirement (really don't understand why that's a requirement) and you're now into the $60-150 range. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TxSkyBolt

Radios
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »
Greg did you share any ideas with Rod in the Spring?

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 08:05:47 PM »
The way I see it, TASO should work for us, not the other way around. We need to pressue them into accepting the cheaper alternative radios that many colleg conferences are using. I think we can affect the change if there is enough pressure put on them.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 09:17:40 PM »
The way I see it, TASO should work for us, not the other way around. We need to pressue them into accepting the cheaper alternative radios that many colleg conferences are using. I think we can affect the change if there is enough pressure put on them.

When that request for mechanics changes suggestion comes out we need to all put this request in.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 11:11:19 PM »
Take away the full duplex requirement (really don't understand why that's a requirement) and you're now into the $60-150 range.

Can you identify specific makes and models that fall into this range?

Offline Ump62

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 09:58:58 AM »
Anyone care to guess what percentage of crews using "comms" actually have received approval? My guess would be less than 50%.  hEaDbAnG

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 10:24:26 AM »
Greg did you share any ideas with Rod in the Spring?

My exchange with Rod from back in January:

Rod,

I appreciate the note.  I do not, however, agree that full-duplex should be a requirement.  In fact, many officials do not even utilize the full-duplex functionality of their systems since you could have 7 guys talking at once.  Perhaps we can discuss this a little further.  I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to RF comms.  I have worked in the microwave communications field for many years.  I'm quite sure these radios would work fantastically and make a less expensive alternative. 

Also, I believe the application form has a lot of problems. 

-------------------
Rod's response:

I understand completely what you are saying about full duplex. I think that will be discussed at the TASO Football board meeting at the end of February. I can't say if it will be changed or not, but I do know it will be discussed. If it changes I'll let you know.

Would love to hear about the problems you see with the form. Please share and we will address them.

Rod

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 11:43:47 AM »

"discounted price"  Is that an oxymoron? LOL

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 06:32:55 PM »
So you emailed him in January, they met in February...and sat on it?

I've worked chains for 3 college games this year and all three of them were using Midland walkie talkies.  If it's good enough for Walt Anderson, why not TASO?

The policy was a knee jerk reaction by the TASO Football board.  It needs to be fixed.

My exchange with Rod from back in January:

Rod,

I appreciate the note.  I do not, however, agree that full-duplex should be a requirement.  In fact, many officials do not even utilize the full-duplex functionality of their systems since you could have 7 guys talking at once.  Perhaps we can discuss this a little further.  I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to RF comms.  I have worked in the microwave communications field for many years.  I'm quite sure these radios would work fantastically and make a less expensive alternative. 

Also, I believe the application form has a lot of problems. 

-------------------
Rod's response:

I understand completely what you are saying about full duplex. I think that will be discussed at the TASO Football board meeting at the end of February. I can't say if it will be changed or not, but I do know it will be discussed. If it changes I'll let you know.

Would love to hear about the problems you see with the form. Please share and we will address them.

Rod

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 07:45:36 AM »
So you emailed him in January, they met in February...and sat on it?

I've worked chains for 3 college games this year and all three of them were using Midland walkie talkies.  If it's good enough for Walt Anderson, why not TASO?

The policy was a knee jerk reaction by the TASO Football board.  It needs to be fixed.

I never heard back from them.  From what I gather, I do not believe it was discussed at their February meeting, but I don't know that as fact.  We went ahead and purchased approved radios.

Offline ada152

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 07:39:11 AM »
For those of you using the Yapalong radios, how has your experience been? My experience has been terrible using these headsets with them. (http://www.refereestore.com/ref-comm-ptt-boom-mic-ii/) The audio is often choppy or not there at all. I have been in discussion with Yapalong about it but i am curious to know what set up everyone else is using and how they are working out for them. I paid a lot of money for them to not be fully functional.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 08:00:53 AM »
I believe SkyBolt uses those and that crew has been less than impressed.  They did a game in a domed stadium and I think they didn't work at all in there. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 11:44:22 AM by TexDoc »

Offline bpittman

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 09:36:02 AM »
we have both the PTT with the boom mic and the one with the air tube ear piece and lapel mic for the yappers. We have had success and disappointments with both. Last year during a game in the alamodome we had issues. I am certain it was some sort of interference. They worked fine as long as you were right next to each other but not at all when we were in our normal positions.
A few thoughts....
1. Wear them on the front or side. Line of sight is important.
2. Adjust the mic gain on the R unit to 4 and the other units to 2. This should help with some of the distortion
3. as the R I usually just wear the lapel mic and the rest of the crew wears the boom
4. its all about the position of the mic and both mentioned above  have noise canceling
5. Try the mic without and without the foam cover. IF its not windy they seem to work better without