Author Topic: CFO Game Review 6 - Plays 20 and 23  (Read 679 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +38/-38
  • The rules are there if you need them.
CFO Game Review 6 - Plays 20 and 23
« on: November 27, 2017, 03:57:04 PM »
On the latest CFO Game Review video, there are two curious plays.

20 -  Redding compliments the Line Judge for "selling" his call, but he never says what the call is, and we don't see it.  He mentions something about the F looking like he is about to rule complete, so I'm guessing the final ruling was incomplete.  Anybody know for certain?

23 - He comments that (although not called) the motion back actually commits a false start, which, I think we would all agree with.  But then he goes on to "remind" us that, if it had been called, the penalty would be at the "previous spot," or at the spot where the dead ball belongs to B.  Huh?  A false start, if called at all, would stop any apparent action, and be penalized at the succeeding spot.  Did I miss something?

Robert

Offline ElvisLives

Re: CFO Game Review 6 - Plays 20 and 23
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 04:20:43 PM »
Wow.  Play 26 - Redding comments that a blocking below the waist foul is a personal foul that carries an automatic first down.  Then he comments that the R announces second down but it should be first down. 

If it were on the defense, yes.  But this is a foul by the offense, which the Referee clearly announced, so the down is repeated.

Some very curious comments from Redding in this video.

But some really good plays, too, like the "duplicate numbers" and the "assisting the runner" calls.

Robert

Offline RedTD

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
On Play #2 of the free kick he commends the deep official for getting a PF for blocking while OOB however I would have like to see him comment on the IBB by the kicking team right near the runner. Dives through a runner(edit: meant blocker) in an "apparent" attempt to get to the runner. It just jumped out for me.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:51:45 PM by RedTD »

Offline Rulesman

• The Keeper of the Keys
  • Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +310/-238
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »
Dives through a runner in an "apparent" attempt to get to the runner.
You've only got one runner unless you rule the other player is simulating possession of a live ball (2-27-7a and 2-27-7-b). Is that what you are saying?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline RedTD

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:43:54 PM »
No, I meant to type "blocker" not runner. Brain got ahead of my fingers. hEaDbAnG

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 08:40:58 AM »
On Play #2 of the free kick he commends the deep official for getting a PF for blocking while OOB however I would have like to see him comment on the IBB by the kicking team right near the runner. Dives through a runner(edit: meant blocker) in an "apparent" attempt to get to the runner. It just jumped out for me.

Took me a minute to see what I think you are talking about, since you use "IBB" (Illegal Block in the Back), instead of BBW (Blocking Below Waist).  I believe you are talking about the kicking team player (No. 4, I think) that "cut blocks" one of the lead blockers of the receiving team, early in the return.  Yeah, definitely a foul, too.  Typically looking for illegal blocks by receiving team, so these can catch folks by surprise. So much to look at.

Robert

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +52/-21
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 08:52:21 AM »
Yeah Rogers had some curious comments:

One of the plays he wanted a "striking" foul by the left tackle on pass protection.  That would never in a million years cross my mind as "striking" the opponent.  He just pushed him to the ground.

Also noted was the auto-1st gaffe for the BBW foul.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 09:39:40 AM »
I made the call for a striking foul some years ago, for an extremely similar action.  Just like this one, the rusher was going by the blocker, and the blocker clubbed the rusher, attempting to knock him down (to keep him from continuing toward the QB).  The action I had was a bit more pronounced than the one Rogers presented, but I think even this one is striking.
On my play, I distinctly remember thinking, "He slugged him!  He can't do that."  Flag flew.  Call was supported by my coordinator.

Robert

Offline ChicagoZebra

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »
Took me a minute to see what I think you are talking about, since you use "IBB" (Illegal Block in the Back), instead of BBW (Blocking Below Waist).  I believe you are talking about the kicking team player (No. 4, I think) that "cut blocks" one of the lead blockers of the receiving team, early in the return.  Yeah, definitely a foul, too.  Typically looking for illegal blocks by receiving team, so these can catch folks by surprise. So much to look at.

Robert

There is also a pretty blatant take down hold by R7 right at the point of attack as well, immediately after the IBB. R7 straight up tackles K17.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »
There is also a pretty blatant take down hold by R7 right at the point of attack as well, immediately after the IBB. R7 straight up tackles K17.

I saw that action earlier, too, and thought similarly, but also realized that the receiving team blocker just charged straight forward into the abdomen of the kicking team player (UCLA 11), and ULCA 11 actually wrapped up, twisted and took down the receiving team player.  That may actually be defensive holding, since he took out an offensive blocker.  You could argue that the kicking team player (now a defensive player) was just 'shedding' his blocker, in an attempt to get to the BC.  But that may be a bit of a stretch.

Like I said, so much to look at, even for 8 guys.  It may take 22 officials to get everything, but who wants that?

Robert