Author Topic: Encroachment  (Read 356 times)

Offline HOULJ

• FAN REACTION: +2/-4
Encroachment
« on: December 27, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
How many of you have thrown a flag for encroachment when the snapper touches or simulates touching the ball and a receiver has crossed the neutral zone when setting up for his position beyond the neutral zone and then moves back to the correct position after he realizes he was not set up correctly?

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +3/-8
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Encroachment
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 04:37:33 PM »
I can only speak for myself. I have not ever called that scenario. As H/L we often assist the wide receivers with understanding where the Offensive LOS is so they can align accordingly with the play they are running and are set for a sec before snap.  I never verbally say move up or back I just let them know where the LOS is and tell them to get where they need to be.

However, I have called it when they did not adjust their position pre-snap and continued to be well into the NZ or beyond but have never called it if they adjusted to the position where there was no foul at snap.  I don't get ticky-tacky, its gotta be big for me, I don't want to get the ruler out :). Now for 7th and 8th grade that is a whole other matter, lots of verbal warnings or we would have 1st and 55 for a 1st down :)

Offline ChicagoZebra

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 04:44:10 PM »
I can only speak for myself. I have not ever called that scenario. As H/L we often assist the wide receivers with understanding where the Offensive LOS is so they can align accordingly with the play they are running and are set for a sec before snap.  I never verbally say move up or back I just let them know where the LOS is and tell them to get where they need to be.

Agree. The offensive player would need to be lined up clearly beyond the neutral zone for several seconds (or have the snap be imminent) before I would throw a flag.

And remember - offensive encroachment is an instant dead ball foul, not a foul at the snap.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +3/-8
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 05:37:37 PM »
Yep - agreed, dead-ball foul when we call it.

Offline Clear Lake ref

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 07:44:11 PM »
I've called it once ever I think. Imminent snap and he was well beyond and not moving.

Do note that if the ball is on the 25 and the receiver has his front foot touching the 25, let it go.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +90/-25
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 08:19:09 AM »
Called it several times in a JV game years ago after the coaches were completely out of control and demanding everything be called.   Well, they got what they wanted.  I think we had 5 or 6 on them that day.  One coach finally came up and said, okay, I get the point.  Too late my friend, we could be here all night.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +39/-38
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 08:42:14 AM »
TexDoc:  Hear!  Hear!  pHiNzuP

(You're on a roll!)

Robert