Author Topic: Defensive strategy at end of game  (Read 509 times)

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +7/-32
Defensive strategy at end of game
« on: July 18, 2018, 07:58:32 AM »
Imagine this scenario, which happens often enough in an NFL game:

Team A losing by 3. 2nd and goal at the B10. Chip shot field goal range. Team A has 1 time out.
:08 left 4th quarter

Team A has enough time for 2 plays. One more attempt to score a touchdown before settling for a sure field goal if they don't score the TD.

During this 'free play' by Team A, why doesn't Team B just hold and tackle every Team A player? The idea is to eat the seconds on the clock, so Team A's only option is to kick the field goal to tie. Team B doesn't want to give Team A the opportunity to win the game. No matter what the foul is, even pass-interference in the end zone, there would be say :02 left. Team A most likely will settle for the field goal to tie as now there is just 1 play left.

Team B could also intentionally jump the snap to beat a blocker to force the QB to throw early. Or use both techniques.

The basic idea is to run the clock down from the offense having 2 plays - to just having 1 play.

Offline Etref

• FAN REACTION: +60/-22
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Defensive strategy at end of game
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 07:49:11 PM »
The drawback that I see is B holds the linemen and receivers what is to stop a design run or draw play?

Yeah the clock runs down but they may score unabated
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +42/-9
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:04:44 PM »
Not sure about the NFL, but the NCAA has classified this as an unfair act. All players who intentionally hold or foul during the down are charged with a UNS foul. Also, the clock should be reset to the time of the snap and start on the next snap.

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +9/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 01:40:40 AM »
The NFL have made it illegal too, unfortunately only on the 2nd and subsequent occasion.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2016/11/15/13637126/49ers-saints-holding-penalty-play-nfl-rule-change

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »
Also, the clock should be reset to the time of the snap and start on the next snap.

I've never heard that time could be added to the clock in NCAA as part of penalty enforcement. When was this added?

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +42/-9
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 07:36:05 PM »
Last year in a bulletin and then this year in the mechanics manual.

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 08:45:50 AM »
The drawback that I see is B holds the linemen and receivers what is to stop a design run or draw play?

Yeah the clock runs down but they may score unabated

The corners and safeties just hold/tackle the receivers.

The rest of the defense stop everything else. You're just making sure a pass won't work. There's no way to score unabated.

The whole idea is to not allow the offense to score a touchdown. And cheating is okay, since any penalties don't matter because time can't be added to the clock in NFL or NFHS rules. I have yet to see the exact wording of the NCAA ruling.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +60/-46
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 06:41:50 PM »
I have yet to see the exact wording of the NCAA ruling.

Not a change in the rule language, but new entries added to the ARs.  New ARs 9-2-3-II and III cover blatant USC fouls to consume time by either the defense or the offense, respectively.  In either case, the fouls (holding, dpi, whatever) get converted to UNS fouls, and the clock is reset to the time on the clock at the snap for the down in which the foul(s) occurred.  The UNSs get added to each fouling player’s UNS “counters,” with DQ for any player for whom it is their second UNS.  But just one 15 yard penalty.

Should stop that type of incredibly unsportsmanlike action.  But, you never know...