Author Topic: Yet Another Trick Play  (Read 579 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +223/-241
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Yet Another Trick Play
« on: November 06, 2018, 07:08:28 AM »

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +55/-45
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Yet Another Trick Play
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 08:39:51 AM »
While the rules don't specifically prohibit this distraction, IMHO, it has no business in football.  9-2-3-c gives the R the ability to rule this as an unfair act, and allows him to take any action he feels is equitable.  In this case the game clock would not (or certainly should not) have run, so the clock isn't involved.  I wouldn't penalize Team A with a distance penalty, but I would just repeat the kickoff (a "do-over," if you will), with a warning that a second occurrence of this unsportsmanlike act would earn a distance penalty, and another repeat of the kickoff (or add to the spot where the ball belongs to Team B at the end of the down).

Quit clowning around and play straight up football.

Robert

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +71/-101
  • High School (MA)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 10:02:13 AM »
I'd agree with Elvis here, clearly IMHO not a football play.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:12:58 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +13/-11
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:46:32 AM »
Totally disagree with both comments here. You cant make up rules because you dont like what someone does. There is nothing illegal about this. Player was within 5-yds of the ball, did not cross the restraining line, did not simulate a substitution. Perfectly legal and I would let it go as well.

Offline carol1995

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +19/-4
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:10:17 AM »
Totally disagree with both comments here. You cant make up rules because you dont like what someone does. There is nothing illegal about this. Player was within 5-yds of the ball, did not cross the restraining line, did not simulate a substitution. Perfectly legal and I would let it go as well.

I think this type of thing has been addressed in the past by not allowing the "wrong ball" and "wrong tee" type of plays or the play where someone is laying down in the end zone on a kickoff.  To me, this falls under the same type of non-football play and shouldn't be allowed. 

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +13/-11
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:37:39 AM »
Not sure what the "wrong tee" play is, but with the others you mentioned there are specific rules and interpretations to address them. With a team attempting to change a ball, that is not allowed per rule. Laying down in the EZ has been officially decided that it is not allowed. Until there is anything regarding this play in question, I dont know how you can justify a penalty on it.

Offline carol1995

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +19/-4
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 01:00:55 PM »
Not sure what the "wrong tee" play is, but with the others you mentioned there are specific rules and interpretations to address them. With a team attempting to change a ball, that is not allowed per rule. Laying down in the EZ has been officially decided that it is not allowed. Until there is anything regarding this play in question, I dont know how you can justify a penalty on it.

I think it falls under Rule 9-2-1-a-1

(d) Any delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed act by which a player (or players) attempts to focus attention upon himself (or themselves).

It is definitely choreographed and it's obviously attempting to focus attention on the player doing the flip so the other players aren't watching when the ball is kicked. 

Online backjudge85

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 03:38:15 PM »
I would certainly agree with that interpretation tiphat:

Online Williams

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:27:24 AM »
Last game of regular season, we had an offensive lineman attempt this move after a successful PAT.   ^flag
However, he did not get a 10 for his flip.  He landed flat on his back!!
After the laughter died down, we had a KO less 15 yards.