Author Topic: KOB - truth stranger than fiction  (Read 553 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +58/-45
  • The rules are there if you need them.
KOB - truth stranger than fiction
« on: December 02, 2018, 04:44:03 PM »
I hear criticism of people that make up Ďdream plays,í as though the critics canít be bothered to think about things that just wonít ever happen.  I donít buy that.  Some dream plays really happen.

Kansas City at Oakland - yeah, I know, thatís NFL, and their rules are different, but the scenario could happen in NCAA, too.  KC free kicks to Oakland.  Ball is bounding near the sideline at the B-3, while receiver B19 is approaching the ball from the end zone.  B19 is expecting the ball to bounce out of bounds at the B-2, but it bounces up and toward the goal line.  B19 steps around the pylon (from the end zone side), and reaches down for the ball.  B19s right foot is out of bounds, and his left foot is in the end zone (heís kinda straddling the pylon) when he grasps the airborne ball while the ball is completely inside the boundary line, and over the field of play (very near the goal line, but no part of it breaking the plane of the goal line).

The covering official correctly sounds his whistle to stop action, since the loose ball touched something out of bounds.  Donít know if a flag was ever thrown, but the crew ruled a free kick out of bounds, and awarded the ball to Team B at the B-40.

I can only assume the ruling was correct for the NFL, but it would certainly be correct for NCAA (***excepting the succeeding spot - 35, for NCAA***).  Of course it is a foul (in NCAA), and a flag should be thrown.

Easy enough.

But, in reality, it wasnít so clear that the ball was totally over the field of play.  It may have actually been breaking the plane of the goal line (but never touching the ground in the end zone) when B19 grasped the ball.  That would make the ball dead beyond the defending teamís goal line, with impetus from the attacking teamís free kick.  That would be a touchback, Bís ball at the B-25.  Thatís a big difference.

In the first scenario, had there also been a foul by the receiving team, there would have been totally different penalty enforcement options.  So we have be sure about the location of the ball when it officially became dead.

Tricky play.  Gonna happen often?  Nope.  But it did happen.  Letís be prepared.

Robert

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 06:22:21 AM by ElvisLives »

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +100/-33
Re: KOB - truth stranger than fiction
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 03:05:46 AM »
I hear criticism of people that make up Ďdream plays,í as though the critics canít be bothered to think about things that just wonít ever happen.  I donít buy that.  Some dream plays really happen.

I just quote those people the bowl game play "double forward pass or not" which was discussed as a "never gonna happen but what would you do" kinda play.

Offline CenTexZebra

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 12:33:58 PM »
Somewhat along these same lines. Team A onside kicks the ball. Ball rolls across the ground toward the sideline. Team B player reaches for the ball and touches the ball at the Team B 48 and the ball continues along the ground and goes OOB at the B 45. Is this considered a free kick OOB?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +58/-45
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 08:29:33 PM »
Somewhat along these same lines. Team A onside kicks the ball. Ball rolls across the ground toward the sideline. Team B player reaches for the ball and touches the ball at the Team B 48 and the ball continues along the ground and goes OOB at the B 45. Is this considered a free kick OOB?

Assuming the B player was inbounds, no.  The illegal KOB rule only applies to free kicks that are untouched by inbounds players of the receiving team before it goes out of bounds.

Robert

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +18/-5
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 09:40:03 AM »

Pedantic answer: Yes, it is a free kick that has gone out of bounds. Practical answer: No, it's not a FOUL for a free kick out of bounds, because kicking it out of bounds is legal if the receiving team touches it BEFORE it goes out of bounds.