Author Topic: New 40-second clock  (Read 781 times)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +84/-12
New 40-second clock
« on: May 28, 2019, 03:47:18 PM »
Now that I've seen the verbiage in the rulebook (quoted below) in rule 3-6-1, let me make sure I understand something...

ART. 1 . . . Play clock and ready-for-play:

a. Play clock:

1. 25 seconds will be on the play clock and start on the ready-for-play signal:

(a) Prior to a try following a score;

(b) To start a period or overtime series;

(c) Following administration of an inadvertent whistle;

(d) Following a charged time-out;

(e) Following an official's time-out as in 3-5-7 or 3-5-10, except for 3-5-7b; and

(f) Following the stoppage of the play clock by the referee for any other reason.

2. 40 seconds will be on the play clock after a down other than specified in 3-6-1a(1), and start when the ball is declared dead by a game official.

b. The ball is ready for play:

1. When the ball has been placed for a down and the referee marks the ball ready for play after giving the ready-for-play signal as in 3-6-1a(1);

2. Starting immediately after the ball has been ruled dead by a game official after a down, the ball has been placed on the ground by the game official and the game official has stepped away to position as in 3-6-1a(2).

Essentially, if we have to kill the game clock for any reason (other than to set the chains after a first down), we use the 25.  If we have to measure for a first down, or administer a penalty - even a declined penalty - we'd go to 25.  right?

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +158/-5
Re: New 40-second clock
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 05:36:46 PM »
Pretty much. The 40-second clock is used when rolling from one scrimmage play to another. You also use the 40 if the game clock stops due to an incomplete pass or runner going out of bounds. It's really very simple and logical. Eventually we'll probably set the game clock to 40 after a defensive injury or helmet off like NCAA did, but that will probably only happen if people notice teams gaining an advantage often or at a critical time when that happens even if accidental.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +78/-25
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 06:43:50 AM »
Pretty much. The 40-second clock is used when rolling from one scrimmage play to another. You also use the 40 if the game clock stops due to an incomplete pass or runner going out of bounds. It's really very simple and logical. Eventually we'll probably set the game clock to 40 after a defensive injury or helmet off like NCAA did, but that will probably only happen if people notice teams gaining an advantage often or at a critical time when that happens even if accidental.

I don’t know that it would happen “often”, but I can imagine a scenario where a B player might fake an injury to get a 25-second clock rather than a 40.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +158/-5
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 08:39:44 AM »
I don’t know that it would happen “often”, but I can imagine a scenario where a B player might fake an injury to get a 25-second clock rather than a 40.

Even if it's a legitimate injury it's an advantage for the defense if the offense is trying to consume time at the end of a half. When NCAA did it they applied it to any B injury regardless of time of game so you have a random full 40-second play clock after an officials time out in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Teams rarely use it, but if they did they have plenty of time.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +87/-23
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 08:51:42 AM »
Essentially, if we have to kill the game clock for any reason (other than to set the chains after a first down), we use the 25.  If we have to measure for a first down, or administer a penalty - even a declined penalty - we'd go to 25.  right?

If you kill it for an incomplete pass or runner going OOB, it's 40.  But in general, yes, any administrative stoppage is 25.

Basically, if you have to hold up the normal flow of the game and have to "restart" the normal flow, use 25.  Otherwise, use 40.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +285/-552
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 09:24:01 AM »

Thankfully, NFHS players are not usually as "mature" (clever) as their NCAA counterparts (with some exceptions), and NFHS Coaches are not as clever (deceitful) as their NCAA/NFL counterparts (also with some exceptions), about manipulating rules and rule language, so NFHS rules are able to exist with far less definitive rule exceptions than NCAA rules. 

Although things keep evolving, and not all always for the better.

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +5/-8
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 11:37:32 AM »
Excuse me for butting in.   NY must be way different than Texas.   There are a LOT of ex-college coaches in coaching high school and all of the coaches look for every edge they can get.   Maybe the top example is the most recent.  Art Briles just took a head coaching job at a 3a school in northeast Texas (I am all for him coaching again).   

Also the 25/40 clock will make all R's jobs easier once the crew and time keepers get the hang of it.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +285/-552
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 06:35:05 PM »
Excuse me for butting in.   NY must be way different than Texas.   There are a LOT of ex-college coaches in coaching high school and all of the coaches look for every edge they can get.   

Also the 25/40 clock will make all R's jobs easier once the crew and time keepers get the hang of it.
(
There are former (NCAA) Coaches working at the NFHS level in New York, and I suspect adapting to the different rule structure is as difficult for them as it is with officials who are currently, or have previously worked, and gained experience under both codes.  Some adapt and/or transition better than others.

Texas, using the same code at both levels likely makes transition less complicated.  As for the 25-40 second play clock conversion, time will certainly tell.  I hope you're right.  For the time being I suspect a considerable majority of games will be played without benefit of field play clocks, utilizing 5 man (sometimes 4 man) crews.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +84/-12
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 12:15:18 PM »
If you kill it for an incomplete pass or runner going OOB, it's 40.  But in general, yes, any administrative stoppage is 25.

Basically, if you have to hold up the normal flow of the game and have to "restart" the normal flow, use 25.  Otherwise, use 40.

Good catch, Bossman - I meant to say "if we have to kill the game clock for any administrative reason".  Thanks for checking me on that.