Author Topic: Forum Discussions  (Read 9521 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online ElvisLives

  • *
  • Posts: 4633
  • FAN REACTION: +188/-188
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Forum Discussions
« on: September 06, 2019, 11:35:58 AM »
I do not speak for TASO.

We need a forum, such as this, for professional and dignified discussion of officiating issues, including review and discussion of actual events.  In exchange for this privilege, our greatest responsibility is to do so in such ways that do not "call out" our fellow officials with regard to errors, judgments, or matters of preference.  When done so, the value to the entire officiating community is enormous.  We all learn.  We all get better.
As long as we don't use this forum as a vehicle for self-promotion, or deprecation of other officials (any sport, any level), then I cannot imagine why TASO would want to put a leash on this privilege.

Let's keep the discussions civil and impersonal, and don't give TASO a reason to sanction any individual, or this forum as a whole.  Let's be one.

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

Offline Kalle

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 3451
  • FAN REACTION: +114/-35
Re: Forum Discussions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 01:47:02 PM »
Not a Texan, but considering you use the same(ish) rules as we do over here, I want to butt in. I agree with everything Elvis said, and I actually think that it is not at all interesting to debate a particular judgement call or even a rules application error. The only context I think a rule application error (real or hypothetical) is interesting is in discussing how it can be prevented (usually improved crew communications - I've been party to at least one such error this season due to the fact of all information not available to the entire crew).

Offline TexDoc

  • *
  • Posts: 1861
  • FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Re: Forum Discussions
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 01:09:51 AM »
I do not speak for TASO.

We need a forum, such as this, for professional and dignified discussion of officiating issues, including review and discussion of actual events.  In exchange for this privilege, our greatest responsibility is to do so in such ways that do not "call out" our fellow officials with regard to errors, judgments, or matters of preference.  When done so, the value to the entire officiating community is enormous.  We all learn.  We all get better.
As long as we don't use this forum as a vehicle for self-promotion, or deprecation of other officials (any sport, any level), then I cannot imagine why TASO would want to put a leash on this privilege.

Let's keep the discussions civil and impersonal, and don't give TASO a reason to sanction any individual, or this forum as a whole.  Let's be one.

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

Very well said, sir.  I've been on the internet talking rules and TASO officiating for over 20 years now.  The internet is how I really learned the rules now and the connections I've found and rule gurus I've come across have been quite invaluable.  This is the best medium ever for learning rules and we need to let it continue.  There is a fair balance somewhere between never talking about games as a TASO member, and learning.  If we don't disparage other officials and simply understand mistakes can happen and we all need to learn from them, we should be able to keep a forum like this going.  I happen to know TASO personnel review this board very frequently, and actually have the ability to remove posts, so if there was a problem, I think we would have known by now.  It's just that their own social medial policy contradicts what we are doing here at times.  Let's take a look at that policy and make it a bit more reasonable and accommodating to learning for all of us.

Offline Etref

  • Administrator
  • ***
  • Posts: 2423
  • FAN REACTION: +88/-29
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Forum Discussions
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 12:04:23 PM »
I agree with what you both say, except. Only two of us have authority to remove post and neither is on the TASO board.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Grant - AR

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 505
  • FAN REACTION: +65/-6
Re: Forum Discussions
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 11:05:21 AM »
I do not speak for TASO.

We need a forum, such as this, for professional and dignified discussion of officiating issues, including review and discussion of actual events.  In exchange for this privilege, our greatest responsibility is to do so in such ways that do not "call out" our fellow officials with regard to errors, judgments, or matters of preference.  When done so, the value to the entire officiating community is enormous.  We all learn.  We all get better.
As long as we don't use this forum as a vehicle for self-promotion, or deprecation of other officials (any sport, any level), then I cannot imagine why TASO would want to put a leash on this privilege.

Let's keep the discussions civil and impersonal, and don't give TASO a reason to sanction any individual, or this forum as a whole.  Let's be one.

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

Robert,

We have some options with this software if you guys would like it.  We can add moderators who can police the Texas Topics board to keep it as "clean" as you guys would like it. 

A second option (requiring a little more work, but very doable) is to lock the Texas Topics board down to only guys actually registered with TASO.  If we did this, no one would be able to view it unless they have been granted access (except for the current admins).  This would probably require additional moderators or admins (I don't think one or two people would want to do this, but maybe I'm wrong) to review any new members and add them to the Texas Topics site so they would have access.  We would also need to get the current members who are in Texas added to the Texas Topics site so they could see it.

If you guys are interested in this, just let me know.  We will get it figured out if it will make this place better.

Offline Etref

  • Administrator
  • ***
  • Posts: 2423
  • FAN REACTION: +88/-29
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Forum Discussions
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 12:35:36 PM »
The problem we have is the TASO policy is so vague that it is almost unworkable.

We have moderated this board solely on the rules of the board and definitely not as enforcement of tha TASO policy
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Grant - AR

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 505
  • FAN REACTION: +65/-6
Re: Forum Discussions
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 01:02:02 PM »
The problem we have is the TASO policy is so vague that it is almost unworkable.

We have moderated this board solely on the rules of the board and definitely not as enforcement of tha TASO policy

This board is for Texas guys so feel free to moderate it any way you want (TASO policy or not).  If you have any other suggestions as to how to make it better, just let me know.

Online ElvisLives

  • *
  • Posts: 4633
  • FAN REACTION: +188/-188
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Forum Discussions
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 01:27:33 PM »
Carol1995,

I actually would prefer to leave everything as it is.  With only one exception (in my mind, and not to be named), folks try to use this forum as a learning/teaching tool.  I'd rather folks in the Fed world (and others) be able to see what is happening here.  I learn - or at least keep current with our rules - by checking their site.
As I said, we just need to be dignified and respectful adults about what we do and say, here.  If we get the occasional "over the line" comment, we should just deal with those as they arise.

Let's be one.

Robert   

Offline Grant - AR

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 505
  • FAN REACTION: +65/-6
Re: Forum Discussions
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 04:04:49 PM »
Carol1995,

I actually would prefer to leave everything as it is.  With only one exception (in my mind, and not to be named), folks try to use this forum as a learning/teaching tool.  I'd rather folks in the Fed world (and others) be able to see what is happening here.  I learn - or at least keep current with our rules - by checking their site.
As I said, we just need to be dignified and respectful adults about what we do and say, here.  If we get the occasional "over the line" comment, we should just deal with those as they arise.

Let's be one.

Robert   

I completely agree.  I just thought TASO might have less heartburn over it if we made some changes.  This is y'all's site...do with it what you wish.   ;D 

Offline TexDoc

  • *
  • Posts: 1861
  • FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Re: Forum Discussions
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 07:26:11 AM »
The problem we have is the TASO policy is so vague that it is almost unworkable.

We have moderated this board solely on the rules of the board and definitely not as enforcement of tha TASO policy

You are correct, it is unworkable.  If we just avoid posts about our games on Facebook or Twitface, or whatever sites, we should be ok.  But, someone posts a picture of you and tags you and it shows up on your feed, what the heck are you going to do?  You can "untag" yourself, or try to fix it, but the damage is done.  I think the policy is a bit over the top. 

Offline Etref

  • Administrator
  • ***
  • Posts: 2423
  • FAN REACTION: +88/-29
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Forum Discussions
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 07:50:25 AM »
Working on a policy for Texas Topics as we speak. Hopefully, we can present plays, scenarios, etc to learn from without trashing other officials, crews or chapters.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TexDoc

  • *
  • Posts: 1861
  • FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Re: Forum Discussions
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 08:27:10 AM »
Working on a policy for Texas Topics as we speak. Hopefully, we can present plays, scenarios, etc to learn from without trashing other officials, crews or chapters.

"Trashing," aka criticizing severely.  I get that.  But criticize we must if we are to learn.  If we focus on the officiating and not the individual, we should be okay. 

Online ElvisLives

  • *
  • Posts: 4633
  • FAN REACTION: +188/-188
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Forum Discussions
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 09:04:29 AM »
"Trashing," aka criticizing severely.  I get that.  But criticize we must if we are to learn.  If we focus on the officiating and not the individual, we should be okay.

Absolutely.
Criticism based on carefully considered analysis that is:
-impartial
-impersonal
-based on corroborated facts
-based on correct and current knowledge of rules and mechanics

should be welcome by everyone in our community.  But that criteria is the key.  Keep it impartial, impersonal, factual, and knowledgeable, and all will be OK.

But, instead of only criticism - regardless of how constructive it may be  - maybe we should all try to interject some complimentary comments for good work, from time to time.  Yeah, I know.  We SUPPOSED to be good and get things right.  But, of all people, we know how difficult that can be.  So, especially when somebody gets something right that maybe not everyone would have got right, let's celebrate that.

For example, the crew, and R, that correctly ruled a simple incomplete pass on that deflected forward pass that the passer, after leaping into the air and controlling the ball with both hands, directed to the ground before he returned to the ground.  By rule, that is "batting" of the ball (even if grasped and thrown), and a pass may be batted in any direction by any player eligible to touch the ball (everybody, in this case, since the ball had been touched by Team B on the initial deflection).  Really good work making the ruling, and making the announcement.  (See CFO training video 1)  Kudos to those guys.

Let's be one.
Robert