Author Topic: Des Moines Coach arrested for harassment  (Read 444 times)

Offline IA Linesman

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Des Moines Coach arrested for harassment
« on: October 09, 2019, 01:20:47 PM »
https://whotv.com/2019/10/07/lincoln-football-coach-could-face-charges-for-confronting-referee-after-controversial-play/

Lots of talk about this one around Iowa.  Coach was charged and arrested as of today.

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +5/-8
Re: Des Moines Coach arrested for harassment
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 02:27:25 PM »
Well, after looking at it, I have a different opinion than I thought I would.   There should have been three flags (or at least two).   It is a textbook targeting.  Helmet to helmet and launching.  What makes it even worse, it appears that there was intent to injure. 

The assistant coach should have spent his energy on his kid's well being instead of directing it at the official.   But he did have a right to be angry about the defensive player not being dq'ed.   Hopefully the school will take care of that over site.

I do have an issue with the attorney's comments.   He seems to think that if the flag had been thrown, the result would have been different.   How does the R's apology or suspension change the outcome of the play?     

Offline IA Linesman

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 03:00:47 PM »
A few tidbits that may or may not be included in that article/video;

The QB hit is the son of the coach.

West DSM Dowling is a football powerhouse and I heard they were up 61 to 6 at the time of the hit.  I haven't found an article stating that as fact but have heard.

The coach was charged with 1st degree harassment as he threatened the R.  "I will F!@#ing kill you!"

5 Man mechanics and this is Iowa's Largest Class, 4A

Our crew discussed and definitely had 15 yard targeting, split on ejection knowing how we see these live.  Replay definitely shows ejection but we all know what this looks like in person and with a bad angle,
R behind the quarterback.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +84/-30
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 05:30:48 PM »
For some reason a large population of people seem to think a flag is some type of magical healing device.  With or without a flag, that kid was subject to the same possible injuries.  Then the argument becomes that the flag would have sent a message to other players etc.  I've been throwing flags for 19 years and mine haven't seemed to deter any of the actions I am flagging.   ???

Offline Etref

• FAN REACTION: +61/-22
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 09:55:43 PM »
 LOL
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-250
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 10:57:40 PM »
Okay being fired is one thing but criminal charges is absurd. Things like this should be settled outside of the courtroom and without the possibility of one of the parties’ lives being ruined forever.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +84/-30
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 11:35:25 PM »
Okay being fired is one thing but criminal charges is absurd. Things like this should be settled outside of the courtroom and without the possibility of one of the parties’ lives being ruined forever.
Actions have consequences.  If you do that on any job and threaten someone with death I'm pretty sure you'll get arrested no matter what your occupation is.  It's unfortunate that adults think it's acceptable to go after officials.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +78/-25
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 06:50:40 AM »

There’s a reason that many states have passed sports official’s assault legislation.  This is a prime example.  I think the official showed great restraint by not having the coach arrested immediately.

Tell you what — go up to the next police officer you see, get in his face, and yell “I’ll F*#@ing kill you!”  See how that works for you.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +2/-19
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 07:16:11 AM »
1.  No one's life is going to be ruined forever.

2.  This was a criminal act.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 08:23:48 AM »
Passions are always inflamed after an event like this.

The lawyers job will be to put some time behind the incident so that the judicial process looks at this in a cooler light.  He's already got out in front of it publicly by getting the coach's story out first.

There will be something worked out in court in the end that will leave no one satisfied except the judge to which the case is assigned.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +156/-5
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 09:06:15 AM »
The flag definitely wouldn't have prevented the injury, but it could have prevented this coach/father's response to the hit. If the play was correctly ruled a foul he likely doesn't get as angry at the official. I also read his son had a serious concussion last year so he's hyper sensitive.

This doesn't EXCUSE the action of the coach, but it does help EXPLAIN it. While the death threat may not have been a real threat, it still should be addressed through an investigation. I would expect it won't be a serious penalty unless this coach has a history of violence or assault.

There are many reasons we have to get these right. Preventing insane responses to incorrect no calls is just one of them.

Offline zebrastripes

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 01:39:53 PM »
The flag definitely wouldn't have prevented the injury, but it could have prevented this coach/father's response to the hit. If the play was correctly ruled a foul he likely doesn't get as angry at the official. I also read his son had a serious concussion last year so he's hyper sensitive.

This doesn't EXCUSE the action of the coach, but it does help EXPLAIN it. While the death threat may not have been a real threat, it still should be addressed through an investigation. I would expect it won't be a serious penalty unless this coach has a history of violence or assault.

There are many reasons we have to get these right. Preventing insane responses to incorrect no calls is just one of them.
He should have been tending to his son rather than going apes*it on the referee. Seems like he cared more about the 15 yards he missed out on.

Also, he's an assistant.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 06:52:50 AM »

Also, he's an assistant.

assistant, note the first 3 letters...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +30/-31
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 07:50:49 AM »
assistant, note the first 3 letters...
Retweet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk