Author Topic: Not exactly new (knee pads)  (Read 624 times)

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +5/-8
Not exactly new (knee pads)
« on: December 09, 2019, 09:15:22 AM »
I know this is not a new subject but holy cow did the rule change while I was in a Thanksgiving stupor?   The Baylor/OU game seemed to be played with shorts and not pants.   It was the most notable game I have ever seen where there was a total disregard for covering the knees.   Was there an AR, note or secret phone call from the NCAA to just totally forget that this is a rule?   

Personally, I don't care one way or the other but it seems to be 180 degrees from the safety stance that most football organizations are headed and the direction that has been given by the NCAA.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +79/-71
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Not exactly new (knee pads)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 10:32:10 AM »
You don't see it being enforced at the NCAA level because the coaches are not pushing the issue with their players.  They don't push the issue, because they don't want to be put at a competitive disadvantage to a team that might push the envelope a little further than they do.  Officials are reluctant to get involved, because it would mean requiring a lot of top players to sit out until they could fix the problem, and they - and their coordinator - don't want to have to explain to a commissioner why they made guys sit out - for even just one down - just because their knees were not covered.  Number 1 Team A loses to unranked Team B with their star running back on the sideline because his knees aren't covered, and they don't make the playoffs ...  Somebody will answer for that.

Even if they had 60 extra pairs of compliant pants - which I highly doubt - equipment managers ain't gonna run back to the equipment room and break them out.  They don't want to explain to their head coach why their superstar wide receiver wasn't able to outrun a DB because his knee pads slowed him down .001 seconds.

And they dang sure ain't gonna take 60 pairs of extra pants on the road.

This is an administrative and coaching issue, and if the NCAA wants it cleaned up, they'll find a way to hit schools in the pocketbook, rather than place game officials in the middle of this problem.  Or change the rule to not require knee pads, and pants that cover the knees.  Kinda like the NFL.

Can I get an "Amen"?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 11:56:34 AM by ElvisLives »

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +76/-110
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 11:12:48 AM »
Amen.  Also, haven't they already "fixed" the problem in regards to officiating crew responsibility by having the head coach sign off pregame that all of his players are legally equipped?
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +78/-25
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 05:45:05 PM »
The reality is that every player on every big-time D-I team thinks he’s got a shot at the NFL.  If wearing Bermuda shorts potentially helps him get there, he’s gonna wear them.

Unfortunately, this drifts down to the HS level, where we *do* make them sit out until they correct the problem.

When Nick Saban was asked about this issue a couple of years ago, his response was “You’ve got to pick your battles.”

Offline carol1995

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +34/-4
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 09:06:43 AM »
When Nick Saban was asked about this issue a couple of years ago, his response was “You’ve got to pick your battles.”

In our pregame duties early this season, I was talking with the equipment manager.  I joked with him about their knees being uncovered.  He specifically asked me to get on their players about it.  He said their head coach says to get their uniforms right about 100 times the day of the game, but none of them listen to him.  Then he said, "Of course they don't listen.  They all have their headphones in and can't hear anything anyone says.  That drives me nuts!" 

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +79/-71
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 10:00:27 AM »
In our pregame duties early this season, I was talking with the equipment manager.  I joked with him about their knees being uncovered.  He specifically asked me to get on their players about it.  He said their head coach says to get their uniforms right about 100 times the day of the game, but none of them listen to him.  Then he said, "Of course they don't listen.  They all have their headphones in and can't hear anything anyone says.  That drives me nuts!"

That's caca on two counts:
1) Somebody other than players orders the uniforms, and that person can be sure to order pants that have inseam lengths appropriate to allow the knees to be covered.  But they don't.  We consistently hear them whine that this is what the uniform manufacturer sent them.  If I order something and get something I don't want, I send it back, and get the right item, or get my money back, and go find another supplier that will get me what I want.  If they are getting short legged pants, that's what they are ordering.  How can players get their uniforms "right" if they are intentionally tailored to be outside the rules? The teams are in control of that, but choose to defy the rules, and then tell us what they think we want to hear. 

2) "He said their head coach says to get their uniforms right about 100 times the day of the game, but none of them listen to him.  Then he said, "Of course they don't listen.  They all have their headphones in and can't hear anything anyone says.  That drives me nuts!"  So, who is in charge? If the HC really wants that to happen, he can make it happen.  In reality, he doesn't want to be put at a competitive disadvantage to his opponent, whose coach may be fully willing to push the envelope well beyond the breaking point.  And officials get tired of harping on this, with no sincere support from the top (teams or NCAA).

Robert

Offline carol1995

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +34/-4
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 03:09:50 PM »
That's caca on two counts:
1) Somebody other than players orders the uniforms, and that person can be sure to order pants that have inseam lengths appropriate to allow the knees to be covered.  But they don't.  We consistently hear them whine that this is what the uniform manufacturer sent them.  If I order something and get something I don't want, I send it back, and get the right item, or get my money back, and go find another supplier that will get me what I want.  If they are getting short legged pants, that's what they are ordering.  How can players get their uniforms "right" if they are intentionally tailored to be outside the rules? The teams are in control of that, but choose to defy the rules, and then tell us what they think we want to hear. 

2) "He said their head coach says to get their uniforms right about 100 times the day of the game, but none of them listen to him.  Then he said, "Of course they don't listen.  They all have their headphones in and can't hear anything anyone says.  That drives me nuts!"  So, who is in charge? If the HC really wants that to happen, he can make it happen.  In reality, he doesn't want to be put at a competitive disadvantage to his opponent, whose coach may be fully willing to push the envelope well beyond the breaking point.  And officials get tired of harping on this, with no sincere support from the top (teams or NCAA).

Robert

I completely agree!  For most of the players I've seen, their pants would cover their knees if they wanted them too...they just don't want them to.  And, the coaches can definitely make that happen if they want, but they don't really care.