Author Topic: What's your back up plan for training  (Read 468 times)

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
What's your back up plan for training
« on: March 24, 2020, 06:56:02 PM »
I know we are a couple of months away from training meetings but I am wondering what your back up plan is if we are still in stay at home mode?

We are looking at setting up meetings by video conference. Has anyone done this before? Any pointers?

Online Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +103/-34
Re: What's your back up plan for training
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 07:50:15 AM »
We are doing video conference training currently. Teams and Zoom are the best alternatives, IMO. Teams is easier for the participants but Zoom has more features.

Offline peterparsons

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • BAFRA/IFAF official.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 02:54:54 PM »
Something to be awaree of is that the audio in Teams doesn't work with some common browsers (Safari and Firefox).

I've used Zoom, Webex and Bluejeans for work and, of the three, I prefer Zoom.

Offline NorCalMike

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 10:09:52 PM »
Thanks for the info.
We are looking at using zoom mostly because my wife has an account she uses for some volunteer work she does. With her account I can have 100 people in each training.

Looking for pointers on setting up the training. If you have used video conferencing for training, what worked and what didn't?

Offline peterparsons

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • BAFRA/IFAF official.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 05:45:26 AM »
As a general comment, something I would recommend is setting out some meeting etiquette ahead of time. Things like being on mute unless you are speaking. I'd also recommend learning the moderator controls, particularly how to mute individuals or mute all, how to record, how to screen share etc.

There is usually someone who won't and will typing loudly, eating their dinner, talking to someone etc. and you want to be able to silence them if you need to for the benefit of the wider call. In zoom, if you bring up the participants list, you can identify the guilty party or parties by looking at the microphone icon by each person as it indicates when noise is coming from that mic. If you put your mouse pointer over an individual's name as the moderator, you should have the option to mute them. Also, the "more" menu at the bottom of the Participants list gives you the option to automatically mute everyone on entry (I'd recommend doing this by default).

I'd suggest running a dummy meeting ahead of time and play around with the functions you think you will need. Tools like Zoom can also record the call so those who can't make it for whatever reason can still learn from it after the fact.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +427/-27
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 10:02:50 AM »
Is it possible to develop a mute button for coaches ?  :)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +90/-33
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 01:45:58 PM »
Is it possible to develop a mute button for coaches ?  :)
  With all this social distancing stuff, does that mean no more coaches in our face slinging spit everywhere?  You know, the government has been suggesting that we keep 6 feet apart.  This means the coaches must stay out of our box and in theirs.

Offline NorCalMike

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 03:47:05 PM »
As a general comment, something I would recommend is setting out some meeting etiquette ahead of time. Things like being on mute unless you are speaking. I'd also recommend learning the moderator controls, particularly how to mute individuals or mute all, how to record, how to screen share etc.

There is usually someone who won't and will typing loudly, eating their dinner, talking to someone etc. and you want to be able to silence them if you need to for the benefit of the wider call. In zoom, if you bring up the participants list, you can identify the guilty party or parties by looking at the microphone icon by each person as it indicates when noise is coming from that mic. If you put your mouse pointer over an individual's name as the moderator, you should have the option to mute them. Also, the "more" menu at the bottom of the Participants list gives you the option to automatically mute everyone on entry (I'd recommend doing this by default).

I'd suggest running a dummy meeting ahead of time and play around with the functions you think you will need. Tools like Zoom can also record the call so those who can't make it for whatever reason can still learn from it after the fact.
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of doing the dummy meeting to make sure everything works.

Offline CW123

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 05:10:29 PM »
CFO West Referees Brandon Cruse and Tuta Salaam are leading Virtual Clinics. The schedule can be found here:

https://sites.google.com/view/2020vvc/home?authuser=0