Author Topic: Spring Football in Texas??  (Read 334 times)

Offline JarMan69

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +93/-26
Re: Spring Football in Texas??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 10:57:21 AM »
All for it.  Not sure I'm ready to head to the field in the middle of a pandemic.  It will take one or two outbreaks at a school among a team and coaching staff to shut things down in the fall.  My opinion of course.

Offline Etref

• FAN REACTION: +67/-22
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 11:10:26 AM »
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Online ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +15/-7
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 11:10:53 AM »
I'm with you Doc.  Too many of us are in the high risk category.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +31/-44
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 05:08:47 PM »
The spring brings with it storms and football, unlike baseball and softball, isn't easy to make up -- especially once the game has started. Plus, there's no guarantee we'll be any farther along in February of 2021 with this mess than we will be in August, other than having an election past us (I won't say any more than that). When I went to my doctor 2 weeks or so ago, his prediction was that it will be early 2022 before we see a viable vaccine. If that isn't what we're waiting for, then I don't know what it is.

The weather issue, to me, is a big concern. I don't want to go to a jr. high game (for example) on a day where there's a chance for a storm, have the school district not cancel the game, get there, and then determine we can't play. Heaven forbid, have all hell break loose and have to find shelter for 200 or more people. THEN find out either I don't get paid at all or only get paid for travel. Or, forget money. Just a waste of time. Plus, I like my spring to do other things. So, I'm not sure I'd be participating.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +93/-26
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 03:30:28 AM »
The spring brings with it storms and football, unlike baseball and softball, isn't easy to make up -- especially once the game has started. Plus, there's no guarantee we'll be any farther along in February of 2021 with this mess than we will be in August, other than having an election past us (I won't say any more than that). When I went to my doctor 2 weeks or so ago, his prediction was that it will be early 2022 before we see a viable vaccine. If that isn't what we're waiting for, then I don't know what it is.

The weather issue, to me, is a big concern. I don't want to go to a jr. high game (for example) on a day where there's a chance for a storm, have the school district not cancel the game, get there, and then determine we can't play. Heaven forbid, have all hell break loose and have to find shelter for 200 or more people. THEN find out either I don't get paid at all or only get paid for travel. Or, forget money. Just a waste of time. Plus, I like my spring to do other things. So, I'm not sure I'd be participating.

Where are you located?  We have some really horrible storms comes through Texas in August through October.  The worst flood ever recorded in this area was in late October of 1998.  Hurricanes certainly are still active through October, so weather here in the early spring is probably a lot more calm that in the fall. 

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +31/-44
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 02:54:15 PM »
True, but most of the weather issues in the fall are early and done. Hurricanes are once a decade and affect, at most, the southern parts of Texas and only about 1-2 weeks. Harvey was a BIG exception. That was like a 50 year phenomenon. Even that didn't wipe out Houston and coastal teams for the entire year though certain communities were greatly affected.

In Texas, from March through May, EVERY WEEK can not only have weather issues but SERIOUS weather issues. Hail, tornadoes, high winds, etc. In the fall, the storms are mostly lightning. The players, coaches, and officials can go back to the locker rooms and fans, if necessary, can go to their cars. Hail and tornadoes create much bigger problems and if they pop up out of nowhere like they're known to do, we're beyond screwed. Baseball and softball doesn't have the number of players nor anywhere near the number of fans, and UIL has never really given us firm and clear guidance on how to handle weather emergencies. Just a seat of our pants 8 or 10 mile lightning guideline where hopefully someone has a meter that's reasonably accurate and we can get off the field before someone is injured.

I'm not saying we have to block off every potential issue but if we don't plan for spring weather and play spring football, we're asking for trouble. I'm not going to work without better guidelines from UIL.

And I'm in North Texas -- right in the middle of tornado alley. I've experienced a few real close, so you'll forgive me if I tend to sound a bit paranoid. I'm not scared of anything other than tornadoes and heights!