Author Topic: Now, that's better...  (Read 531 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +104/-78
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Now, that's better...
« on: November 28, 2020, 10:59:26 AM »
Had experienced, good clock operators last night. The game administrator - the head coach of the neutral site host school - wasn't very cooperative about having the clock operators visit with us before the game, though. He said once they get to the pressbox, they ain't comin' back down. OK, so have them drop by BEFORE they go to the pressbox.  Geez. How tough can this be? Yeah, they've been doing this a while, and got all the 'big' stuff. But a brief conversation before the game might have educated them on (by rule) not running the play clock when there is less time on the game clock than the play clock duration. Which they did. Twice.
Still, a much better experience than the previous week.
Not a crisis, but nothing in the dressing room for us, except chairs. :)  No refreshments, or even water (except the lavatory faucet). No towels, soap. Eh. No big deal. Close to home. Just get the heck out after the game, and go home and have some hot turkey and dressing. With 6 pm kickoff, home by 9:00. Sweet.
Good, competitive game, with two pretty well coached teams. Very disciplined on the field, and on the sidelines.
Plastic grass. Long-sleeve weather, but no need for ear/face protection, or even gloves.
All-in-all, a good evening.

Got another tonight. Weather ain't gonna be as cooperative, according to the weather guys/gals. But, still have plastic grass, and that helps a ton. And still close to home. And another 6 pm kickoff. Its all good, man.
Y'all stay warm and safe.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +69/-22
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Now, that's better...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 07:39:02 AM »
Always amazed me that small schools manage to have refreshments, game administrators,security while larger schools are hit and miss
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +7/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
Re: Now, that's better...
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 04:47:07 AM »
Had experienced, good clock operators last night. The game administrator - the head coach of the neutral site host school - wasn't very cooperative about having the clock operators visit with us before the game, though. He said once they get to the pressbox, they ain't comin' back down. OK, so have them drop by BEFORE they go to the pressbox.
No matter how experienced I get, I will ALWAYS go and have a pre game chat with the officials. For me, it gives me a chance to get on the same page as the R (and the rest of the crew as well) with regards to clock operations. One of my questions I always ask what pace do they like to run, especially on the clock. Some R I have worked with like to go fast, while most will stick with the standard (1, 2 start the play clock) pace.

Geez. How tough can this be? Yeah, they've been doing this a while, and got all the 'big' stuff. But a brief conversation before the game might have educated them on (by rule) not running the play clock when there is less time on the game clock than the play clock duration. Which they did. Twice.
I did that at my game 3 weeks ago. When I realized I did it, I decided to just let it run and then I mumbled a few choice words at myself (Hey I was alone in the booth...they had a separate section for the scoreboard/clock operator (Scoreboard was a video scoreboard) and another for the play clock operator). The R made me aware of that small error and I told him I did realize it and as mentioned, I just let it run.

Anyway, glad everything went well for you.