Author Topic: When you thought you have heard everything (this)  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
When you thought you have heard everything (this)
« on: January 04, 2021, 12:16:39 PM »
I know this will probably be moved because it was in an NFL game but I wanted to put in where it would be seen to start.

Sunday NFL game on an extra point.   Flag for illegal formation on the defense.   Flag on the defense and the good old false start catch all signal was given (or if you prefer, the play by play announcer "illegal procedure" signal).  Five yard penalty for defensive illegal formation accepted on the ensuing KO.   

I am just guessing this may have been a man lined up over the center?   Am I correct?   

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: When you thought you have heard everything (this)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 12:44:33 PM »
NFL also has a requirement that there must be X players on both sides of the snapper, might have been that. I'll move this topic to the NFL forum where it belongs.

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 12:47:26 PM »
Probably. Either that or they had more than 6 players on the line on side of the ball.

And it would be the same signal in NCAA if a player lined up over the snapper. (NCAA doesn’t have a rule about the maximum number of defensive linemen on one side of the formation)

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 01:24:56 PM »
NFL Rule 9-1-3-2:

Item 2: Field Goal or Try Kick Formation. When Team A presents a field goal or Try Kick formation:
(1) A Team B player, who is within one yard of the line of scrimmage, must have his entire body outside the snapper’s shoulder
pads at the snap.
(2) No more than six Team B players may be on the line of scrimmage on either side of the snapper at the snap.
Penalty: For illegal formation by the defense: Loss of five yards.

Not sure which subsection was the violation on that particular play though, but the NFL does have some specific defensive formation requirements on kicks (free and scrimmage).